Stoneage or CaddyDaddy i need your help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Stoneage or CaddyDaddy i need your help!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey guys sorry to shout you out like that but my dam 95 deville is driven me nuts unfortunatly its ...
    Cadillac Davelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS lambo white, eibachs, 2011 CTS-V wheels

Stoneage or CaddyDaddy i need your help!!!

hey guys sorry to shout you out like that but my dam 95 deville is driven me nuts unfortunatly its been a real lemon!! anyways the problem ive been trying to get the rear passive struts for my car and here in NY no autopart has them and if they even do they're way over 300, now i've seen you guy have around the same year devilles but which ones did you guys go with, because i've looked all over this forum and no one really says yea try these or yea these are definitely it, so im really hopen you guys or anyone else for that matter can help me out!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Stoneage or CaddyDaddy i need your help!!!

wow its so bad i just finished calling the nearest cheverolet dealer and not even they have the passive ones , he said he has the oem replacements for 500 (for both) and the pasive ones he said they dont make anymore, now is this true or is this just my luck ?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I don't think GM ever made passive shocks or struts for the 1990-96 model caddies. The companies that make them are separate from GM.

Lets see... Look up Arnott, Boston suspension, Monroe, Strut masters, and I know there's more but I can't think of them right now. Whoever you go with, it's more than likely that they will supply you with the wrong electronics though. To get around this I suggest that you remove the dampering valves off from the old shocks and struts and keep them attached to the car to trick RSS into thinking that the OEM shock and struts are still in place and also keep the SRC (Service Ride Control) message from being displayed.

i looked up all these; arnott,monroe,acdelco and nothing on the passive rear shocks, strutmaster has them but pretty expensive and as far as boston suspension im looking at about 275 for both which is still good , but im honestly trying to find the cheapest, because im not planing to last long with the car i just need it to sit up, because right now its rubbing on every driveway, and im going to have to end up changing my whole muffler system soon because of it, as far as the "service ride control" message that i dont mind, tha in the future i'll just by the bypass from gmpartsdirect, but my biggest concern is finding the rear shocks for my 95 deville that are actually for a front wheel drive, because all that keep popping up are only the rear wheel drive shocks..

is there anyway you can find out more companies that make the rear shocks for my car?

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I assume your car is dragging it's rear because the air system isn't working? If you just want to get by, you could try just adding a tire fill type end to the lines and fill them manually. That is, as long as the shocks themselves hold air ok!
    Other than trying to find some used ones at a junkyard or eBay, you'll have to go with the Arnott or Strutmasters or Boston Sus. ones for passive.

yeah i ended up going with Boston Suspension for the rear for only 275 and since im in ny and there in NH i called them yesterday before 12pm and already had it today by 2:30 (thats crazy lol)

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

When I ordered mine through them, since I'm in CT, I got the shocks next day! The torx bolt that holds them on at the top mount was so rusted that I had to take it to a muffler shop to have them blast it off though. So that's something to be aware of when you go to change it.

My shocks/struts are all from Boston too. Another thing to be aware of when you change them is how far the air inlet sticks out. On my car they would touch the tires so I had to make a dent in the back of the wheel well with an air hammer so I could put them in backwards. Thinking about it now though, I might have been able to get away with them like that because they only touched in the fully extended position (wheel off the ground).

What kind of electronics did they supply with them? Was it a gold 12ohm resistor or an electromagnetic coil? If they gave you the coil, then use that one because it's the right one to get rid of the SRC message. You probably have to solder it in place though.

actually they didnt give me any , since the front struts were already replaced to passive one's , i guess the last owner had replaced them , im not sure, but i installed them today and now im real stressed because now i blew the compressor on them and have to shell out from 50-200 or more for a dam air compressor , i swear ive never bought a car with so much problems lol, but what can ya do now..

also in the instructions it said to cut the wires, but i just left them there, i said F it whats the piont they arent connected anyway's so why cut it..

Blew the compressor huh? Check your fuses first, slot D5 i think, in the trunk should be for the ELC.... Or if you take out the back panel in the trunk, there is a relay center attached to the back of the back seat with a relay for the ELC compressor. I'm not sure what relay it is though.

is that what usually happens , that the fuse and relay go first? because i havent checked them yet, im actually going to now to see because i honestly dont want to have to come out another 100 or more for a dam compressor..

well i checked all the fuses in the rear and they are all good, only thing i didnt check was the relay.. i really think chances are that the compressor is blown

hey krashed for some reason today my compressor turned on but my car didnt go up you know if it might be a leak in the hose's or possibly the compressor turns on but doesnt blow air ? i mean is there a common problem that usually happens when the compressor turns on but now air in the shocks ?

Well, a lot of times my compressor goes on but doesn't make any noticable difference in hight either. It was probably just circulating the exhaust gas (it reuses the same air every time it pumps up the shock. Also after a leak is fixed (shocks replaced) it would take a couple start ups for it to regain the lost air.). Though, it is very possible for you to have a leak, and that could also partially explain the compressor being turned off, after a while it might essentially 'give up' for a key cycle.... But, that doesn't explain why it wasn't doing the self check at start up. Which is why I think you have a sticky relay, you may also have a leak but I would check the relay first and go on from there.

Hope this helps.

well guys what i finally ended up doing was installing the "manual air kit" because the compressor turned on but like for 5 seconds and then turns off on every start up, and when we checked it, the air that was blowing out was very little so i just disconnected the fuse so it doesnt turn on anymore and installed the kit, i honestly just got tired of messing with it every week, plus i have other problems on the car that i need to fix also, but anyways guys thanks a lot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.