How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; looks like the pictures are gone now for this write up. If anyone has this saved to their computer could ...
    andrew99eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos

looks like the pictures are gone now for this write up. If anyone has this saved to their computer could you let me know. And if it isnt too much trouble email it to me?

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by andrew99eldorado View Post
    looks like the pictures are gone now for this write up. If anyone has this saved to their computer could you let me know. And if it isnt too much trouble email it to me?
    A year later, the pics are back.

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq View Post
    A year later, the pics are back.
    And have now vanished, . Just about to tackle this tomorrow too.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

+1

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Just did this. Pics are not necessary. If you really need to see some pics check out http://www.arnottindustries.com/mana...asp?fileId=104
    Good luck! Those top bolts are a MAJOR pain in the ass to remove. (The ones that hold the spring, wrench size of 15/16)

Sorry guys, I've changed domains since moving. I wish I could edit the original post to fix the picture links...I still have them all here:

http://gallery.etarq.com/cars/cadill...ront%20struts/

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

do not use a torque wrench to loosen bolts. the pic #9 showed the wrench on the bolts at the start of the job. maybe it was at the end of job and just a stock photo?

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    do not use a torque wrench to loosen bolts. the pic #9 showed the wrench on the bolts at the start of the job. maybe it was at the end of job and just a stock photo?
    It probably was, I probably missed a the picture during the tear down. Or end up taking the pictures after I do a tear down and am putting stuff back together. I do not use the torque wrench for that. I have a breaker bar.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

This is a great how-to, but I wanted to add some notes for those working on 4th gen Sevilles or Eldorados:

First mark the alignment of the strut bearing plate, as there is no alignment pin and it must go back in the same way it came out.

The bearing plate is also different, in that the top nut sits down in a well that will not let you use an open or box wrench to remove. You need a special socket (24mm) that allows the use of a torx bit to hold the old shock rod while removing the nut. Or, if the old shocks are going in the garbage, hold the strut shaft with a strap clamp, vice grips, etc.

Once the bolt is removed, push up the dust shield up and pull out with the bearing plate. Don't try and pull it downward, old rubber and plastic like to tear.

Installing the new strut will be problematic, since genuine GM struts are no longer available. AC Delco struts do not have the torx bit in the top of the rod, they have a 10mm flat. In the procedure above that's no problem, since those 5th gens have a flat bearing plate. According to Delco tech support, there is no tool to install the new struts. You are going to have to hold the strut rod (as close to the top as possible) with something that won't gouge the shaft. A strap clamp, or vice grips with a piece of heater hose, etc. Do not do anything to scratch the rod down where it travels through the seals.

Once all that is torqued down, installation is as above. An alignment is absolutely necessary afterward. The bottom bolt hole of the strut is slotted for camber adjustment.

wontfly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

very helpfulbut still worried about the spring compressing thing..... wish me luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.