How To: Change Rear Brake Pads & Rotors, Documented - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, How To: Change Rear Brake Pads & Rotors, Documented in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Evenin' from Pensacola Mark, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for your post and pictures. I just finished the ...
    sjpi1954 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: How To: Change Rear Brake Pads & Rotors, Documented

Evenin' from Pensacola Mark,

I just wanted to sincerely thank you for your post and pictures. I just finished the front rotors and pads and am getting ready to tackle the rear. Wanted to re-read your post to make sure so once again...thanks.

Never give up, Never surrender

JP

Gentlemen,

I wanted to pass on a Tech Tip for those of you changing all 4 rotors, pads, and fluid. 3 of my rotors came off without so much as a light pull. However, my right front rotor was literally rusted to the hub spindle. It would NOT budge and lightly tapping against a piece of 1x4 with a mallet at different spots on the backside made no difference.

IF you have a stuck rotor try this....Get on your back, looking at the backside of the rotor, while holding a can of WD40 with the red hose nozzle attached. I used my hunting LED headlamp to free up my other hand to rotate the rotor while spraying with the right hand. On the back side of the rotor there is a gap, about .5mm, in between the rotor and the spindle. That small gap is your aim point.

Put the nozzle into that gap, spray, rotate rotor 90 degrees, spray again, repeat until 360 degrees of coverage. Take a break for at least 10-15 minutes.

When I came back I was able to immediately pull the rotor off. The inside/backside of the rotor where it flushes up against the spindle looked awful...mucho rust.

Clean up your spindle and the rest of the mess and get back to work.

I just got back from completing the 'Burnishing Procedure' and what a smooth, powerful, comfortable difference new rotors, pads, and fluid can make.

JP

Gentlemen,

Just finished all 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors, Hawk Performance Street Pads, 100% new brake fluid (Dadillac's sage advice) with a 13 year old to pump my pedal. The difference in this '02 SLS with a refurbished and upgraded brake system is simply astonishing.

We all know how powerful the N* is under any Cadillac hood, but the stopping power of a completely new and upgraded brake system totally compliments this car. The final numbers were interesting...Cadillac OEM Rotors and Pads $550 plus tax. Custom cross drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Quart of Prestone DOT 3 $325.

Longevity on the non-OEM rotors and pads remains to be seen.

The more I drive my Seville the more I regret not getting a Cadillac 30 years ago...what a car.

JP

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

JP, were you able to keep the pad sensors? Let us know how the job works out. Some people complain about warped rotors, squeeling etc after a while. I need to do my fronts soon. My calipers and rotors look rusty thru the rims.

GTX
    GTX is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nice Write up ! Thank you !

What happened to the pictures

Just_me is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey guys,
    Can anyone help me out with the password that prompts you when clicking on the site: Complete set of pictures are here: http://gallery.iametarq.com/photos/c...%20sls/brakes/
    (at the top of this page).
    Also, can't seem to see the pictures on this page for replacing brakes. Is that just my computer or they really not there? Thanks again!

mlcarey1959 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Where are the pictures?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It's a 5 year old dead thread - Tarq may have taken down the gallery to decrease his attachment load - we're allowed only 20 mb of attachment space, so we all purge old thread stuff now and then.

If you have a Cadillac and it's close to the year group the OP did the work on, there will be more info found in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips, or Google something like "cadillac forums seville rear brake pads" or "cadillac forums seville brake caliper replacement".

slawolom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 2004

Can someone update pictures for brake replacement?
    The ones here are expired

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.