Do Vacuum boosters or MasterCylinders go bad that often?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Do Vacuum boosters or MasterCylinders go bad that often? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 1989 Caddy Fleetwood Now, I got a question for all my other caddy owners out there... Do the Vacuum booster ...
    dismissed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ExclamationDo Vacuum boosters or MasterCylinders go bad that often?

1989 Caddy Fleetwood

Now, I got a question for all my other caddy owners out there...

Do the Vacuum booster or master cylinders go bad that quickly? Also, I never changed the brake lines on my caddy, how in the world could air get in the line?

The scenario is...I was driving, I went to a gas station, turned off the car, pumped the gas, turned on my engine and the e-brake light is on which is normal. BUT, it never turns off. I found this odd. So I turn it off again, start up, wait, still nothing turns off. So I pump the brake a couple of times but then the brake pedal locks up at the top so I am unable to push it down. But when I push the ebrake down it still stops the car. So the pedal does not work, the e-brake light still stays on, whats the deal people????

I had one mech look at it, he says vacuum booster, which is 3000 bucks? Ridiculous. But I need to know what you all say b/c I have no idea. I love my caddy but 3000 bucks? cmon now.

Thanks for all the help appreciate it alot..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Do Vacuum boosters or MasterCylinders go bad that often?

Did you mean 300? That I might believe.
    The pedal won't go down at all?
    Maybe the booster failed and it's so hard to push it feels like it won't go down.
    There is no way a brake booster is $3,000.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I find that a stretch too. Right off the top of my head, I can't remember whether you have ABS or not. I remember that in the first couple years of ABS cars we had some strange happening that involved rock-hard pedals and it was traced to the ABS system. Just an FYI, probably has nothing to do with this but thought I'd make you aware of it too. A booster isn't too hard to diagnose, so you probably have it under control here. But that price is totally ridiculous.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Uh oh... now that I think of it.
    If this has the old style ABS unit that has the pump motor, master cylinder, and accumulator all built into one housing, he might just be right.
    I can see that being that high.
    Can you describe what it looks like or give us a picture of the brake unit?

Hey all, sorry for the delay, I will have to take a picture of it i guess....yeah the pedal hardly goes down, its hard as a rock

actually....i wonder...if i released some pressure from the brake lines, for instance if i took off the tires and released some fluid, would that help at all? or am I just wasting my own time?....thanks for the help it is very appreciated..

The master cylinder is where the brake fluid goes in correct? Where the chamber is located? I will have to take a picture asap then...I will post it within a day.

Also, could a fuse or relay be a problem as well?/??? is there a fuse or relay for the booster???? i wonder...

11. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.