Can I stiffin' this thing up at all?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Can I stiffin' this thing up at all? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a '85 DeVille, I was looking under the car the other day and noticed the wenie sized sway ...
    jbrunell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can I stiffin' this thing up at all?

I have a '85 DeVille, I was looking under the car the other day and noticed the wenie sized sway bar in the rear of the car. Is there a replacement that will actually act like a sway bar? I really would like to stiffen up the cornering ability of the car if posssible, i know there is only so much that can be done. So does anyone know of a sway bar that I could use either aftermarket (which I doubt) or a sway bar off a different model or newer model year caddy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

medicz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 SDV / 94 Z28 Conv. 355

Re: Can I stiffin' this thing up at all?

It doesn't get any better for a 93 either. I often wondered the same thing? Maybe a Concours or a newer Deville would be bigger?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Can I stiffin' this thing up at all?

In that era they produced a Touring Coupe, that car had a rear bar twice the normal diameter. I replaced mine on an 88 CDV and it made a world of difference. I believe the touring was done in 88 thru 89? You can also replace the front sway bar bushings with the aftermarket stiffer type, just measure inner diameter where they clamp to the frame and inner diameter of the sway bar link rubbers. I also readjusted the level ride lever where it connects on the right rear of the rear axle. The two bolts where it attaches the arm to the sensor have slotted holes allowing more air into the shocks before the pump cycles off. Loosen the two bolts slightly and push the arm up. The pump now thinks the rear is low and will add more air to the shocks. A larger wheel and shorter sidewalls on replacement tires would also improve cornering. Go from the 15" wheels to 16" and get a tire that has the same overall diameter. That sway bar is hard to find, very limited production of the touring coupe! Good luck. Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.