98 Sedan Deville- wondering about wandering (sloppy steering)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 98 Sedan Deville- wondering about wandering (sloppy steering) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all, I recently picked up a 98 Deville W/ 110k miles to replace may battle weary 91 Deville. The ...
    wardhorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

98 Sedan Deville- wondering about wandering (sloppy steering)

Hi all,
    I recently picked up a 98 Deville W/ 110k miles to replace may battle weary 91 Deville. The only complaint I have about this great car is the steering. The car rides perfect and does not pull but it wants to wander around mainly noticable at highway speeds. Way too much steering is required to keep this car on the road. The driver is required to constantly correct.

I took it in to my mechanic for a 4 wheel alignment. The car is aligned properly (I made him do it twice). And steering linkages are tight.

The feel at the wheel is that there is several degrees of very easy steering wheel movement in either direction before you can feel the firm resistance of the power steering system (it gets harder to turn). The driver is constantly bouncing the steering wheel back and forth between these abrupt boundaries to keep the car on a line (straight or curved). Not very fun.

My Mech. said that it may be strut bearing plates getting tight or the hard compound Michelins (in cold Michigan) causing the poor performance, or some other magical combination.

Is the rack system adjustable to tighten down this dead spot?
    Does anyone have any other ideas to improve this condition?
    It bugs me so bad I'll sell the car if I can't figure it out.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: 98 Sedan Deville- wondering about wandering (sloppy steering)

Here, this thread might be of use to you:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=58996

Also

wardhorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 98 Sedan Deville- wondering about wandering (sloppy steering)

Thanks for the tip. I'll discuss this with the new mechanic I am going to try next.

I've seen a lot of threads with front end issues that involve "clunks". That is one thing that I do not have as a symptom whatsoever. The car rides extremely smooth and quietly with no clunks or abnormal steering feedback.

The cost to replace the strut bearings is about $450. Has anyone had experience with these?

I also saw another thread somewhere where rack preload adjustment was discussed. Any comments on this?

Hmmmm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.