REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well like many of those out there driving around 10 year old Caddies, my new-to-me, 1993 STS had 4 blown ...
    ineedsocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member

REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Well like many of those out there driving around 10 year old Caddies, my new-to-me, 1993 STS had 4 blown shocks.

Not wanting to pay the $900CAN each for all 4 plus install, I bought a set of passive replacement struts from http://www.strutmasters.com
    Picked up all 4 for $500US or $800CAN after taxes and duty.

I bought them from strutmasters because GM does not have passive replacement shocks for the rer of the STS, only the fronts.

I had them installed today after driving for about 1 month with the blown setup. I would have done the install myself, but it is too cold out right now where I am, and I don't like spending 7 hours of my day to replaces 4 shocks.

The shocks have been installed and my ride is much, much nicer. The car now corners with confidence, doesn't bottom out and get all jittery over bumps. Sit at the right ride height.

Basically, if you have a problem with the active struts, the Strutmaster replacements are a perfect replacement shock. Installation can be difficult (rust and the air bag suspension make a torch nearly a necessity) but nothing the do it yourselfer can't do. I just chose not to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Thats great information! Ive heard about these before, and Im glad their getting good reviews!

51magnum is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the review, I am just about ready to buy a set for my 94 STS. I will also post a review.

falconeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Excellent News! I too was preparing for the expensive strut replacment.

falconeo

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

im gonna look into this , im getting alomst 3 rebounds now after a bump , i think my fronts are shot , not to mention i cant find whats causeing my io39 code

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I thought I would chime in on the passive shock thing. I got an email from a guy named Larry who said that gabriel hi-jacker shocks fit the older caddies and connect right up to the ELC compressor. I do not know if this helps anyone here but I thought I would pass it along for those who would like to keep the load leveling.

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

I just purchased my 1994 SLS and the ride was terrible. After researching this forum I saw one mention of Boston Suspension. You can find these on Ebay under Cadillac struts. On Ebay they are 399.00 plus 35.00 for shipping. I called him direct and got the kit for $424.00 shipped. They will go on next week. What I found interesting was the loop back for the electronic ride. These are made using Gabriel. Below is his add on Ebay.

This kit consists of 2 premium gas struts and 2 gas shocks and the electronics to close the loop of the CVRSS computer( suspension computer ) full instructions and my phone number to help you with any questions after the purchase 7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodyr
    I just purchased my 1994 SLS and the ride was terrible. After researching this forum I saw one mention of Boston Suspension. You can find these on Ebay under Cadillac struts. On Ebay they are 399.00 plus 35.00 for shipping. I called him direct and got the kit for $424.00 shipped. They will go on next week. What I found interesting was the loop back for the electronic ride. These are made using Gabriel. Below is his add on Ebay.

This kit consists of 2 premium gas struts and 2 gas shocks and the electronics to close the loop of the CVRSS computer( suspension computer ) full instructions and my phone number to help you with any questions after the purchase 7 days a week.
    hmmm? No error messages after replacing the electronic shocks/struts with passive ones? Let me know how this works out.

Falconeo

It is a little funny that there are now "Kits" on Ebay that allow you to bypass the CVRSS system error - they came out a month or so after I put up this web page: http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/...lace.html.html. The struts needed for anything before 96 or 97 are different.

bharner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Strutmasters carries conversion kits for front, back and both.
    $279 for front or back
    $499 for both
    They say all models and all years

http://www.strutmasters.com

I guess they have changed their tune since a year ago when I asked them about struts for the cadillac and they didn't even give me the courtesy of a reply.

Qcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Falconeo

This is Qcaddy also out BX-Qns-NYC .
    I just purchased Bos. Suspension shocks for 96 seville sts . Do you now how much install can run . And did get any more info on passive suspension ,and its ride quality.
    Thanks
    Qcaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by falconeo
    Excellent News! I too was preparing for the expensive strut replacment.

falconeo

Quote Originally Posted by Qcaddy
    Hey Falconeo

This is Qcaddy also out BX-Qns-NYC .
    I just purchased Bos. Suspension shocks for 96 seville sts . Do you now how much install can run . And did get any more info on passive suspension ,and its ride quality.
    Thanks
    Qcaddy
    Qcaddy,

I haven't heard much more than just the price and ride of these passive shocks/struts. The deal sounds good, but I'm hoping to hear from someone that has them installed already. I'd also like to know about installation costs and the height it gives the car... does it leave a factory height from the chasis?

Falconeo

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

I purchased the full kit from Boston Suspension. I work at a Career Center as a computer tech. The sr. auto tech class used my car for a teaching tool. I have the 1994 SLS. The shop teacher tells me the ride is good. They are having trouble with the ride control light coming on. I will get the car back maybe Tues. I got the kit direct from Boston for $424.00. I can't help with the instalation price as the school can not charge me labor. I will post back when I get the car back and drive it. I talked to Dennis at Boston and the one thing he did ask me was if I carried a lot of heavy luggage in the trunk or people in the rear seat. He said if I did the rear in would sit down a little under load. I told him very few people besides me ever rode in this car.

Thumbs up Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodyr
    I purchased the full kit from Boston Suspension. I work at a Career Center as a computer tech. The sr. auto tech class used my car for a teaching tool. I have the 1994 SLS. The shop teacher tells me the ride is good. They are having trouble with the ride control light coming on. I will get the car back maybe Tues. I got the kit direct from Boston for $424.00. I can't help with the instalation price as the school can not charge me labor. I will post back when I get the car back and drive it. I talked to Dennis at Boston and the one thing he did ask me was if I carried a lot of heavy luggage in the trunk or people in the rear seat. He said if I did the rear in would sit down a little under load. I told him very few people besides me ever rode in this car.
    Goodyr,
    Thanks for the follow-up, will be looking forward to hearing from you!!!
    Falconeo

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.