REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Ion,
    Sorry that you were not happy with the struts that you bought from Arnotts. I am very satisfied with the shocks, struts and service. I base this on initial purchase, shipping, and even more important to me, how the shocks and struts perform in my car. They ride and control very well, much nicer over sharp bumps/holes in the rode than the original equipment.

If I was going to spend much time at speeds over 130 mph, I might want a stiffer system, but like most drivers on the road I am normally at speeds far less than that.

To further increase my confidence in the Arnott shocks/struts, when one of my struts lost its fluid, I contacted Arnott's and explained the problem. They shipped a replacement one immediatly, with a prepaid return UPS shipping tag; all at no charge, with a very polite and knowledgable woman on the phone.

As it turned out, one of the struts got damaged during installation; a scar on the shaft cut the seal. Not a defective part after all, so I called them and paid for the shock. I was actually charged slightly LESS then the original part, plus $15 for the shipping (Florida to California).

As for 90 day warranty....? the warranty is lifetime.

As quoted from the Arnott website.
    "Warranty Information:
    LIFETIME WARRANTY. (We at Arnott, Inc. are so certain that you will be 100% satisfied with this new product that we offer you a 90-day money back guarantee.)"

I can confidently recommend Arnottís shocks and struts. I also found their service personell very helpful and polite to deal with.

-George

darkwing45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Beware, you may have to do a little downhome engineering. I put a set on the wifes '96 eldo. The sway bar ends don't fit the holes properly and you have to just tighten and deform the washers that come with the kit until they fill up the holes. They should have included some bushings that fit. Also make sure you mark the rotational position of the upper strut spring purches before removal. The factory manual says there is an indicator on the perch, but mine had none. It took lot's of trial and error to get them located right. If I remember right the rear shock mount bolts were signicantly smaller diameter also I had to kinda monkey that install also. It works, but it could be better engineered very easily and it might cost them $2 more to make it right.

wmorrison is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My '93 Seville had recurring problems with the ride control error message coming on. Fixed it by replacing a faulty rear shock for $600. Months later the ride control error message came on again and the Cadillac dealer diagnosed the problem as rear shocks and front struts. I asked the service manager for options. He said that Cadillac has a harness and relay kit which disables a computer function dealing with the error message, also he recommended replacing the original computer sensed struts with passive struts. I had the Cadillac dealer install the harness, relay and passive front struts and am happy with the results. Car rides well. Cost: $$800.

DevilleDad is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by maydog
    I thought I would chime in on the passive shock thing. I got an email from a guy named Larry who said that gabriel hi-jacker shocks fit the older caddies and connect right up to the ELC compressor. I do not know if this helps anyone here but I thought I would pass it along for those who would like to keep the load leveling.
    What did you pay for those Gabriel's? How do they ride? I have a 91 with the air ride and need shocks but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them.

os101king Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goodyr
    I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didnít want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I donít believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I donít spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. I am still getting the SRC sometimes. I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system. I think you have to be the judge of what you do. I hope this helps some. So far I am satisfied.

Ralph
    Curious, though. Since the caddy system is not airbags, wouldn't the change be minor rather than major? I've read that the electronic struts are not completely reliant on air pressure like a traditional bag, and therefore do not provide their cushion from air alone. I would assume therefore that the change in ride would be minimal. I'm looking into installing a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs at the same time as the passive changeover. So my ride will be more performance oriented anyway.

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

The struts do not have air bags, only the shocks. The air bags are used to keep the car at the correct height for increases in passenger weight, and cargo; not for any dampening action.

The struts and shocks rely on traditional hydraulic dampening, with electronically activated valves, to rapidly switch to varying degrees of stiffness; as required.

The Arnott shocks have a "dummy" solenoid in the same place as the stock strut or shock. Plugging in your cars strut/shock plug fools the computer, and there are no computer error codes.

Other methods have been used to fool the computer, but the "dummy" solenoid is a good way to do the job without experimenting with a bunch of different resistance methods, that may or may not work.

I have a set of Eibach Pro Springs for my 93 STS (fits 93-97 STS and SLS). I installed the rear springs and after a couple of weeks of local driving I decided they wern't right for me. I removed them, and they along with the unused front springs, are in the original packaging. If you are interested in them let me know, not sure about a price, but it would be less than any where else.

-George

AdnanBomova is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

alright, this thread is about strut masters, not arnott or boston, i want some feedback on the strut masters struts/shocks, im guessing strut masters has the best ones considering no one has complained once about them yet?

Tac guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Passive struts are avalible at dealers for some older models, It depends on the system... The reason why is the tuned struts that the vehicle had are no longer manufactured... After installing struts a relay is installed to fool the cluster that the module is fine and no trouble noted.. Just correct info for y'all

bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

STILL no info about Strutmasters, which is what this thread is supposedly all about.

93ELDORADOETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado ETC

I got Strutmasters...they suck! First, the ride's the same as my blown-out electronic struts AND the error message is still on (I've no clue where exactly they want the resistor spliced in)...OH and the traction control is disabled so the ABS light is on, too. ARNOTT dude

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by AdnanBomova
    alright, this thread is about strut masters, not arnott or boston, i want some feedback on the strut masters struts/shocks, im guessing strut masters has the best ones considering no one has complained once about them yet?

Ok here you go...........I replaced my rear struts with Strutmaster struts, Just to be on the safe side I also replaced my rear springs as well, on my 97 Deville Concurs. The car rides and sits nice My mechanic swore to me he could get the resitors to work and get the error messages off, he could not so Im screwed. I called sturtmasters in early febuary( see febuary 3rd post by me) They told me they would have a new product that plugs into the plug like the Arrnot system, call back in 2 weeks, 2 weeks has become 6 weeks, after multiple messages and e-mails I finally got ahold of some one today, I explained my prolbem which is compounded with my car NYS inspection expires next week and it will no pass if it throws a brake light code.

Now since I hvbe some knowledge about these cars SM cant really argue that theres a brake or Anti-lock prolbem, so They are trying to find me some parts form an old strut and send them to me so the car will pass inspection. They are suppossed to get back to me with an answer. If they can not find the old strut parts SM is now saying the new adapter plugs should be ready in 3 more weeks.

So right now its a wait and see.

90deville415 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Has anyone used the passive replacement shocks made by Suspension Alternatives? They are quite a bit cheaper at $389 for all four wheels. [ strutmaster would cost $550 for all four wheels on my 1990 deville. ]

90deville415 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

It seems that Strutmasters are not perfect.

newetc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldo

Thank you for all the info.. i'm looking to replace my bad stock setup..
    This was good reading and feedback. thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.