Cadillac Owners Forum banner
167K views 149 replies 87 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
Well like many of those out there driving around 10 year old Caddies, my new-to-me, 1993 STS had 4 blown shocks.

Not wanting to pay the $900CAN each for all 4 plus install, I bought a set of passive replacement struts from http://www.strutmasters.com
Picked up all 4 for $500US or $800CAN after taxes and duty.

I bought them from strutmasters because GM does not have passive replacement shocks for the rer of the STS, only the fronts.

I had them installed today after driving for about 1 month with the blown setup. I would have done the install myself, but it is too cold out right now where I am, and I don't like spending 7 hours of my day to replaces 4 shocks.

The shocks have been installed and my ride is much, much nicer. The car now corners with confidence, doesn't bottom out and get all jittery over bumps. Sit at the right ride height.

Basically, if you have a problem with the active struts, the Strutmaster replacements are a perfect replacement shock. Installation can be difficult (rust and the air bag suspension make a torch nearly a necessity) but nothing the do it yourselfer can't do. I just chose not to.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats great information! Ive heard about these before, and Im glad their getting good reviews!

#6 ·
I thought I would chime in on the passive shock thing. I got an email from a guy named Larry who said that gabriel hi-jacker shocks fit the older caddies and connect right up to the ELC compressor. I do not know if this helps anyone here but I thought I would pass it along for those who would like to keep the load leveling.

#7 ·
I just purchased my 1994 SLS and the ride was terrible. After researching this forum I saw one mention of Boston Suspension. You can find these on Ebay under Cadillac struts. On Ebay they are 399.00 plus 35.00 for shipping. I called him direct and got the kit for $424.00 shipped. They will go on next week. What I found interesting was the loop back for the electronic ride. These are made using Gabriel. Below is his add on Ebay.

This kit consists of 2 premium gas struts and 2 gas shocks and the electronics to close the loop of the CVRSS computer( suspension computer ) full instructions and my phone number to help you with any questions after the purchase 7 days a week.

#8 ·
Goodyr said:
I just purchased my 1994 SLS and the ride was terrible. After researching this forum I saw one mention of Boston Suspension. You can find these on Ebay under Cadillac struts. On Ebay they are 399.00 plus 35.00 for shipping. I called him direct and got the kit for $424.00 shipped. They will go on next week. What I found interesting was the loop back for the electronic ride. These are made using Gabriel. Below is his add on Ebay.

This kit consists of 2 premium gas struts and 2 gas shocks and the electronics to close the loop of the CVRSS computer( suspension computer ) full instructions and my phone number to help you with any questions after the purchase 7 days a week.
hmmm? No error messages after replacing the electronic shocks/struts with passive ones? Let me know how this works out.

Falconeo

#13 ·
Qcaddy said:
Hey Falconeo

This is Qcaddy also out BX-Qns-NYC .
I just purchased Bos. Suspension shocks for 96 seville sts . Do you now how much install can run . And did get any more info on passive suspension ,and its ride quality.
Thanks
Qcaddy
Qcaddy,

I haven't heard much more than just the price and ride of these passive shocks/struts. The deal sounds good, but I'm hoping to hear from someone that has them installed already. I'd also like to know about installation costs and the height it gives the car... does it leave a factory height from the chasis?

Falconeo

#14 · (Edited)
I purchased the full kit from Boston Suspension. I work at a Career Center as a computer tech. The sr. auto tech class used my car for a teaching tool. I have the 1994 SLS. The shop teacher tells me the ride is good. They are having trouble with the ride control light coming on. I will get the car back maybe Tues. I got the kit direct from Boston for $424.00. I can't help with the instalation price as the school can not charge me labor. I will post back when I get the car back and drive it. I talked to Dennis at Boston and the one thing he did ask me was if I carried a lot of heavy luggage in the trunk or people in the rear seat. He said if I did the rear in would sit down a little under load. I told him very few people besides me ever rode in this car.

#15 ·
Goodyr said:
I purchased the full kit from Boston Suspension. I work at a Career Center as a computer tech. The sr. auto tech class used my car for a teaching tool. I have the 1994 SLS. The shop teacher tells me the ride is good. They are having trouble with the ride control light coming on. I will get the car back maybe Tues. I got the kit direct from Boston for $424.00. I can't help with the instalation price as the school can not charge me labor. I will post back when I get the car back and drive it. I talked to Dennis at Boston and the one thing he did ask me was if I carried a lot of heavy luggage in the trunk or people in the rear seat. He said if I did the rear in would sit down a little under load. I told him very few people besides me ever rode in this car.
Goodyr,
Thanks for the follow-up, will be looking forward to hearing from you!!!
Falconeo

#16 ·
Sorry it took me so long to post back. I got the car back last Wed. and the first thing I noticed was the ride was much harsher. I called Boston and talked to Dennis and he told me this will loosen up after about 500 to 1000 miles. The SRC light did come back on. I found the reason, when they were putting the rear shocks on they disconnected the rear leveling sensors. Got that reconnected and the SRC still comes on. I am getting used to the ride, I figure with some mileage it will get better. Still working on removing the SRC message as it could be something else. All in all I am pleased with the passive system. The price was right and Dennis at Boston makes himself available for questions and assistance no matter who is installing them.

This car has 85,000 miles on it. The next problem was an engine whine. The whine was an air compressor pump bearing. Had that replaced and the engine is running very smooth and quite.

falconeo said:
Goodyr,
Thanks for the follow-up, will be looking forward to hearing from you!!!
Falconeo

#17 ·
Sounds really good!! The shocks will take a bit to break in..... They will feel ultra stiff like that......

#18 ·
Thanks for all of your info. I have a '94 Eldorado Touring Coupe with just over 94,000. Today I had new rear brakes done and the mechanic told me that I will be needing new struts soon. I have noticed a rumble and clatter which is new. We got under the car and he is correct in his diagnosis. Doing my internet research I found this thread and am very glad to hear your information.
My question: Do you think its worth it to use non-Cadillac parts. This is my 3rd Caddy and I have always used Cad/GM/Delco parts.
Do you feel its acceptable to sacrifice the suspension control features?
I know its very damn expensive to go with new Caddy struts - $2400.00 is what the mechanic quoted me.
Thanks for any and all opinions from you and others on this thread.

Goodyr said:
Sorry it took me so long to post back. I got the car back last Wed. and the first thing I noticed was the ride was much harsher. I called Boston and talked to Dennis and he told me this will loosen up after about 500 to 1000 miles. The SRC light did come back on. I found the reason, when they were putting the rear shocks on they disconnected the rear leveling sensors. Got that reconnected and the SRC still comes on. I am getting used to the ride, I figure with some mileage it will get better. Still working on removing the SRC message as it could be something else. All in all I am pleased with the passive system. The price was right and Dennis at Boston makes himself available for questions and assistance no matter who is installing them.

This car has 85,000 miles on it. The next problem was an engine whine. The whine was an air compressor pump bearing. Had that replaced and the engine is running very smooth and quite.

#19 ·
I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didn’t want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I don’t believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I don’t spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. I am still getting the SRC sometimes. I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system. I think you have to be the judge of what you do. I hope this helps some. So far I am satisfied.

Ralph

CaliEldorado said:
Thanks for all of your info. I have a '94 Eldorado Touring Coupe with just over 94,000. Today I had new rear brakes done and the mechanic told me that I will be needing new struts soon. I have noticed a rumble and clatter which is new. We got under the car and he is correct in his diagnosis. Doing my internet research I found this thread and am very glad to hear your information.
My question: Do you think its worth it to use non-Cadillac parts. This is my 3rd Caddy and I have always used Cad/GM/Delco parts.
Do you feel its acceptable to sacrifice the suspension control features?
I know its very damn expensive to go with new Caddy struts - $2400.00 is what the mechanic quoted me.
Thanks for any and all opinions from you and others on this thread.

#20 ·
Thanks Ralph.
I discussed this with the Garage owner and sent him some links to BostonSuspension and Dennis. I think this is just what I need. Once he reviews it I think he will agree. He also mentioned researching into passive struts and seeing if he could come up with anything else. Fortunately he is a very creative mechanic and has some 1st class guys working with him.
I really appreciate these forums. Thanks.

Goodyr said:
I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didn’t want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I don’t believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I don’t spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. I am still getting the SRC sometimes. I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system. I think you have to be the judge of what you do. I hope this helps some. So far I am satisfied.

Ralph

#22 ·
I just put in front passive struts directly from AC/Delco. They come as a kit of 2...my cost was 150....but that's because i get them at cost :) The rears were already done. Then all you have to do is disable the SRC light, which is REAL easy (no cutting wires) at least the 92 Seville STS. I have the whole TSB of part numbers and such to convert w/ Delco parts and also the TSB to disable the light without replacing modules and such if anyone wants a copy. (I work at a service station)

#23 ·
DeepPurple said:
I just put in front passive struts directly from AC/Delco. They come as a kit of 2...my cost was 150....but that's because i get them at cost :) The rears were already done. Then all you have to do is disable the SRC light, which is REAL easy (no cutting wires) at least the 92 Seville STS. I have the whole TSB of part numbers and such to convert w/ Delco parts and also the TSB to disable the light without replacing modules and such if anyone wants a copy. (I work at a service station)
DeepPurple,
Are these struts electronic? I have a 97 STS and am really considering the passive deal. Let me know since you're probably more familiar.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Hello, new guy here and I think I am having the same problems starting as the SRC came on and has now gone off after seeing it once. I have really bad vibrations from the front on bumpy roads. My question is with the Boston company's Ebay package they also list a set up that has air shocks for the rear. Has anyone used that set yet and is it compatible with any factory controls? I have a 1994 STS with 85k that I just got and am trying to fix the little things wrong with it and this problem is annoying...Also, I thought that this company's kit had the electronics to fool the SRC message and computer...
Another problem I am having is a knock coming from the front under accelleration and on bumps and I am not sure if it is related to the struts. I noticed another thread that may indicate some bushings on the sway bar that I will look at. Any chance this sound is coming form worn out struts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks, James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.