REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Qcaddy, I bought the AC Delco replacement shocks/struts for about 1/2 the price, and put them on myself. Not a ...
    falconeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Qcaddy,

I bought the AC Delco replacement shocks/struts for about 1/2 the price, and put them on myself. Not a difficult job. Excuse the delay in response... haven't been on for a while

falconeo

rlb827 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what was the part number of the AC Delco parts you purchased? I've got a 97 STS and would love to replace the struts & shocks but don't want to spend a grip doing it.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

rlowe02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Dad has passive aftermarket shocks on the front of his 93-94 STS. He bought them from Autozone and this is the second time he replaced them aparantlly from looking at the first failed struts, They tend (the inner piston)to bend and rub on the outer casing. So Im kind of skeptical about going to the BOSTON setup. He knows of a company in New york that claims to sell aftermarket ELECTRONIC struts for $99.00 dolllars each. so were thinking about that. But suppose I dont get the aftermarket Electronic struts How do I go about bypassing the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message. I know some had a way of doing it with a resistor for a 97 STS but what about a 93?

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by rlowe02
    My Dad has passive aftermarket shocks on the front of his 93-94 STS. He bought them from Autozone and this is the second time he replaced them aparantlly from looking at the first failed struts, They tend (the inner piston)to bend and rub on the outer casing. So Im kind of skeptical about going to the BOSTON setup. He knows of a company in New york that claims to sell aftermarket ELECTRONIC struts for $99.00 dolllars each. so were thinking about that. But suppose I dont get the aftermarket Electronic struts How do I go about bypassing the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message. I know some had a way of doing it with a resistor for a 97 STS but what about a 93?
    With the Arnnot shocks or struts they use a solenoid, just like the original shock or strut. It keeps the computer happy.

There is also a good chance that the front springs are not holding the car at the right height. If so this may be causing some problems with the strut that you have on now.

-George

reds is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What's a passive system?

Does this kit come complete with everything to completely replace all four struts? I'm a complete newbie with cars so I dont' really understand What I'm really asking is, do I have to buy anything else to have these installed?

toofitt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi Guys:

I see you bought the Strutmasters set up, one problem I know of that you don't mention is the fact that they do not sell air shocks!! As some of us know that haul something in the trunk, or the rear of the car like passengers, you will need the air shocks without them the car will bottom out.

I have a Boston Suspension kit on 2 of my cars so far so good. It has been 1 year now since I put them on. Comes with air shocks that work with your computer. Their feedback is pretty awsome, look at their website www.Cadillacstruts.com.

Thanks for looking

TOM

majax is offline 32V Northstar

I can get the set the dealers use for about $500

Boston does not have struts for my car.

big_al is offline Cadillac Owners Member

well, I too am in the process of installing the passive struts & shocks in my '94 Eldorado. But I'm not going to be too quick into purchasing a "kit." I think the main concern for many caddy owners is the error codes that will correspond to the non-electronic strut/shocks bieng used. I've been looking through my shop manuel to try to figure out the schematic to bypass the error codes and I've also noticed that in running a diagnosis of your codes, you can overide some of the outputs. I think the best thing for me to do would be to just unplug the harness at the struts and drive around and see what codes come up. Then I can do a diagnosis and see if I can overide that error code.
    Those kits are not that bad. but if you're like me, who is very concerned where I spend my hard earned dollars, I'm more willing to pay for a higher performance strut and bypass some simple electronic sensors than pay for a so-so strut with an overpriced 12-ohm resistor. well, I should get around to trying this out this weekend, so I'll see how it goes.
    And by the way, great info guys. my caddy is in dire need of front suspension work and this is helping out alot.
    -al-

Hi:

You should also mention that strutmasters does not sell air shocks for the rear, this I feel is a huge disadvantage. Their verbage is deceiving when ordering from the web site, it sounds like you will get air shocks but all you get is a regular shock for the rear. You need air shocks if you ever carry people or have something in the trunk!!!

Like I have been saying for about a year I bought 2 kits from Boston Suspension and have had no problems. I have air shocks that work with the cadillac computer system, WORKS PERFECT!!

TOM

fsugrd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 94 STS and like many of you I am in the process of figuring out what is the best and most cost effective way to do this. Seeing Boston Suspension states that they use Monroe and Gabriel parts and I doubt they move the support mounts does anyone know the Monroe or Gabriel part numbers for the struts and shocks on my 94 STS? Aslo Maydog do you know if your Power resister trick work on earlier models? Thanks in advanced for your help.

The parts are altered in a machine shop, and other parts are included to facilitate the insallation. It is not as easy as you think, there is not a direct replacement available. If there was everyone would be doing this, and we know that is not true.

TOM

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

Beware of Boston. I know toofit loves them. I put them on my 94 seville and the src still came up. Dennis at boston was absolutely no help. His words were, "it is no big deal". Just be careful and you might avoid a headache. Just my 2 cents.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry for the tardy reply - hope the infor is still useful.

There used to be a write up on how to replace the struts on a 94 deville. It used AC delco 580-2 part number. That includes left and right passive struts. I do not believe there is any aftermarket readily available. I found the passives for my 97 by looking a the part numbers for a 97 deville (same chassis), maybe this would work for a 94 as well.

As I said before, I was trying to help a guy named Dennis L. some time ago via email to bypass the error message on a 94. I suggested a few things in regards to my suspicions of a buck converter being used and that inductance is important. He never got back to me - maybe I confused him.

So no, a regular resistor will not work. I do not know what will since I have not personally experimented on anything other than the CV RSS system in the 96 up. If you are interested in bypassing your system and have a few diagnostic tools, multimeter etc. I may be able to help.

fsugrd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Maydog, Thanks for the response, once I figure out if I can find a passive struts that are not part of a kit (Boston, Arnott) I will take you up on your offer. cheers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.