Cadillac Owners Forum banner
167K views 149 replies 87 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
Well like many of those out there driving around 10 year old Caddies, my new-to-me, 1993 STS had 4 blown shocks.

Not wanting to pay the $900CAN each for all 4 plus install, I bought a set of passive replacement struts from http://www.strutmasters.com
Picked up all 4 for $500US or $800CAN after taxes and duty.

I bought them from strutmasters because GM does not have passive replacement shocks for the rer of the STS, only the fronts.

I had them installed today after driving for about 1 month with the blown setup. I would have done the install myself, but it is too cold out right now where I am, and I don't like spending 7 hours of my day to replaces 4 shocks.

The shocks have been installed and my ride is much, much nicer. The car now corners with confidence, doesn't bottom out and get all jittery over bumps. Sit at the right ride height.

Basically, if you have a problem with the active struts, the Strutmaster replacements are a perfect replacement shock. Installation can be difficult (rust and the air bag suspension make a torch nearly a necessity) but nothing the do it yourselfer can't do. I just chose not to.

See less See more
#52 ·
Hi Guys:

I see you bought the Strutmasters set up, one problem I know of that you don't mention is the fact that they do not sell air shocks!! As some of us know that haul something in the trunk, or the rear of the car like passengers, you will need the air shocks without them the car will bottom out.

I have a Boston Suspension kit on 2 of my cars so far so good. It has been 1 year now since I put them on. Comes with air shocks that work with your computer. Their feedback is pretty awsome, look at their website www.Cadillacstruts.com.

Thanks for looking

TOM

#54 ·
well, I too am in the process of installing the passive struts & shocks in my '94 Eldorado. But I'm not going to be too quick into purchasing a "kit." I think the main concern for many caddy owners is the error codes that will correspond to the non-electronic strut/shocks bieng used. I've been looking through my shop manuel to try to figure out the schematic to bypass the error codes and I've also noticed that in running a diagnosis of your codes, you can overide some of the outputs. I think the best thing for me to do would be to just unplug the harness at the struts and drive around and see what codes come up. Then I can do a diagnosis and see if I can overide that error code.
Those kits are not that bad. but if you're like me, who is very concerned where I spend my hard earned dollars, I'm more willing to pay for a higher performance strut and bypass some simple electronic sensors than pay for a so-so strut with an overpriced 12-ohm resistor. well, I should get around to trying this out this weekend, so I'll see how it goes.
And by the way, great info guys. my caddy is in dire need of front suspension work and this is helping out alot.
-al-

#55 ·
Hi:

You should also mention that strutmasters does not sell air shocks for the rear, this I feel is a huge disadvantage. Their verbage is deceiving when ordering from the web site, it sounds like you will get air shocks but all you get is a regular shock for the rear. You need air shocks if you ever carry people or have something in the trunk!!!

Like I have been saying for about a year I bought 2 kits from Boston Suspension and have had no problems. I have air shocks that work with the cadillac computer system, WORKS PERFECT!!

TOM

#56 ·
I have a 94 STS and like many of you I am in the process of figuring out what is the best and most cost effective way to do this. Seeing Boston Suspension states that they use Monroe and Gabriel parts and I doubt they move the support mounts does anyone know the Monroe or Gabriel part numbers for the struts and shocks on my 94 STS? Aslo Maydog do you know if your Power resister trick work on earlier models? Thanks in advanced for your help.

#59 ·
Sorry for the tardy reply - hope the infor is still useful.

There used to be a write up on how to replace the struts on a 94 deville. It used AC delco 580-2 part number. That includes left and right passive struts. I do not believe there is any aftermarket readily available. I found the passives for my 97 by looking a the part numbers for a 97 deville (same chassis), maybe this would work for a 94 as well.

As I said before, I was trying to help a guy named Dennis L. some time ago via email to bypass the error message on a 94. I suggested a few things in regards to my suspicions of a buck converter being used and that inductance is important. He never got back to me - maybe I confused him.

So no, a regular resistor will not work. I do not know what will since I have not personally experimented on anything other than the CV RSS system in the 96 up. If you are interested in bypassing your system and have a few diagnostic tools, multimeter etc. I may be able to help.

#61 ·
HI:

Information on the differant years for cadillac applications, are differant parts than the ones on the 1997 application, it will not fit a 1994.Look at Arnott or Boston's web site they specifically list differant years & differant kits.Hope this helps, I know this is not as easy as some people think.Hope this helps.

TOM

#63 ·
Hey guys, I've installed 4 Boston suspension shocks in early 2004-late 2003 my service ride controll light comes on and ride quality itself is pretty dissapointing. I'm thinking right now about changing them again but deffinatelly not from Boston suspension. One of my Cadillac dealers told me to look @ www.arnottindustries.com the whole kit there is about $600 with electronic connections. That might be my future choice.

#64 ·
FYI

I purchased and installed Arnotts front struts in November for a 94 ETC. It cost $325.00 with standard shipping and arrived about a week after I had ordered them. I replaced them using a Craftsman Spring Compressor (Aprox $45.00), which I originally purchased to replaced the struts of a Chevy Beretta. ETC replacement is similar to the Beretta, just a few more things to disconnect from the ETC hub and of course the electronics connector.

The connector was the most difficult or rather the most frustrating part of the whole project. It would have been much easier if the car was on a rack and both of your hands free to manipulate the connector. I broke the connector mount on one side but just snap tied it to the frame when I re-installed. Also the retaining clips for the shields in the wheel well that you need to remove to gain access to the connector ARE NOT SCREWS, even though they look like screws. After trying every size socket, standard and metric, and swearing at GM engineers for inventing a new size, I finally figured out that they were just plastic retaining clips. What I did not figure out was that if you pull out the center with a pair of pliers you need much less effort with the pry bar to remove them and they might even be re-usable. I would pick up few at the parts store just in case.

The whole project took about seven or eight hours one Sunday but included a break for lunch, one footbal game and at least one nap. Having air tools is a plus. Use lots WD40 and mark your springs with its relationship to the strut and the top cap. Attach the compressor so that it has plenty of clearance as you compress the spring.

The ride is much improved but I do need to replace the rears and I understand that Arnott sells rears that retain the air leveling feature.

And most important NO ANNOYING CODES.

#65 ·
Hello Boys and Girls:

I can report I have purchased Arnott, and sent them back because of a stiff ride. I am not talking about just stiff, I am talking about, I think this is going to hurt my car stiff :canttalk: . Anyway that is my opinion on Arnott, currently I am looking for alternatives. I drive for a living, I know suspension systems. I just want my cadillac to drive like a cadillac. Still l@@king :suspense: .

Cal the Cop

#66 ·
Hey cal the cop let me know when you find a good suspension system. I got a 97 deville concours and my front struts are done. i want to replace all four so i don't deal with problems in the near future. I'm confused. It seems everyone on this thread has their personal opinions. I just want my caddy to ride like a caddy without dealing with any messages on the dash and my leveling system to work perfect. any insight would be helpfull

#67 ·
I don't know about Strutmasters or Boston stuff, but I found this site. These guys have been around for a while, and I know they are big in the big rig trucking industry. For the price, I don't see how anyone could go wrong. My non-dealer mechanic said he would install all 4 for about $300. That means I can buy and have installed ALL 4 for roughly the cost of one strut or shock from GM.

#69 ·
I have been using the Arnott replacement shocks and struts on my 93 STS for over a year now and I can definitely recommend them.

They may not be the cheapest you can find out there, but they work great and no error code problems.

I have a Power Point Slideshow that I made when I did the rear shocks, I did not document the strut replacement though.

The file is on my web storage site if you are interested.

Arnott Passive Shocks

-George

#70 ·
Goodyr said:
I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didn’t want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I don’t believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I don’t spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. ... I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system.

Ralph
i need new air struts on my 95 SLS but the guy i took it to to check it out kept trying to get me to get a conversion kit, but i dont want a conversion kit , i do spend alot of time in my car and i want that air ride, so what are my options ? thanks
E

#71 ·
bige's "95 seville said:
i need new air struts on my 95 SLS but the guy i took it to to check it out kept trying to get me to get a conversion kit, but i dont want a conversion kit , i do spend alot of time in my car and i want that air ride, so what are my options ? thanks
E
You do not have air STRUTS. You have air SHOCKS.

The Arnott passive shocks are air level equipped shocks. They just do not have the electronic valving in the shock like the Road or Speed Sensing system had. The dampening action is a conventional system, hence passive. They have a solenoid on them that provides an electrical connection so the computer will still see the proper signals and not give you error messages.

-George

#73 ·
Hello Boys and Girls:

I finally ordered from Boston Suspension. I really had it with my suspension. It is in serious need of a new one, anyway I ordered the luxury suspension kit.I waited long enough, they seem to be the next best thing to stock (we will see). I already tried Arnott without success. I hope it works as good as they say. I will my post results.

Cal the cop

#75 · (Edited)
Hello Boys and Girls:

I got my new suspension in my car, from Boston Suspension. I ordered the luxury model with air shocks. Doug was very professional on the phone when ordering, the kit came in 3 days from delivery, I live in Mississippi.

I have to say they have excellent pictures, instructions, and it is easy to install, just follow the directions! The ride is a little harder that I would like on bumpy roads, but on the highway, and cornering it's unbeleivable really. I feel like I want to go 150mph the car feels that good, (I could get away with that in another car I drive.)

Anyway the install was uneventfull, my mechanic had no problem putting in the after market parts, they look a little differant than the stock ones, but fit right in, the electronics had to be soldered, that took an extra 1.5 hrs. It would have been nice if they just plugged right in the existing wiring harness.

Cost was $620.00 w/shipping from Boston Suspension. plus 3.5 hrs @ 72.00 hr. $252.00 total $872.00. But, all in all my wife and myself like the new ride we bought.
We used it Sunday night with 4 adults it rode great! The rollercoaster ride died that day, so did all the noise. The rear shocks pumped right up and vented when the weight was out of the car. So far it looks good, I am pleased with our decision. No SRC message 99 Deville.

Cal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.