REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Sorry it took me so long to post back. I got the car back last Wed. and the first thing ...
    Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Sorry it took me so long to post back. I got the car back last Wed. and the first thing I noticed was the ride was much harsher. I called Boston and talked to Dennis and he told me this will loosen up after about 500 to 1000 miles. The SRC light did come back on. I found the reason, when they were putting the rear shocks on they disconnected the rear leveling sensors. Got that reconnected and the SRC still comes on. I am getting used to the ride, I figure with some mileage it will get better. Still working on removing the SRC message as it could be something else. All in all I am pleased with the passive system. The price was right and Dennis at Boston makes himself available for questions and assistance no matter who is installing them.

This car has 85,000 miles on it. The next problem was an engine whine. The whine was an air compressor pump bearing. Had that replaced and the engine is running very smooth and quite.

Quote Originally Posted by falconeo
    Goodyr,
    Thanks for the follow-up, will be looking forward to hearing from you!!!
    Falconeo

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Sounds really good!! The shocks will take a bit to break in..... They will feel ultra stiff like that......

CaliEldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Thanks for all of your info. I have a '94 Eldorado Touring Coupe with just over 94,000. Today I had new rear brakes done and the mechanic told me that I will be needing new struts soon. I have noticed a rumble and clatter which is new. We got under the car and he is correct in his diagnosis. Doing my internet research I found this thread and am very glad to hear your information.
    My question: Do you think its worth it to use non-Cadillac parts. This is my 3rd Caddy and I have always used Cad/GM/Delco parts.
    Do you feel its acceptable to sacrifice the suspension control features?
    I know its very damn expensive to go with new Caddy struts - $2400.00 is what the mechanic quoted me.
    Thanks for any and all opinions from you and others on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodyr
    Sorry it took me so long to post back. I got the car back last Wed. and the first thing I noticed was the ride was much harsher. I called Boston and talked to Dennis and he told me this will loosen up after about 500 to 1000 miles. The SRC light did come back on. I found the reason, when they were putting the rear shocks on they disconnected the rear leveling sensors. Got that reconnected and the SRC still comes on. I am getting used to the ride, I figure with some mileage it will get better. Still working on removing the SRC message as it could be something else. All in all I am pleased with the passive system. The price was right and Dennis at Boston makes himself available for questions and assistance no matter who is installing them.

This car has 85,000 miles on it. The next problem was an engine whine. The whine was an air compressor pump bearing. Had that replaced and the engine is running very smooth and quite.

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didnít want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I donít believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I donít spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. I am still getting the SRC sometimes. I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system. I think you have to be the judge of what you do. I hope this helps some. So far I am satisfied.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by CaliEldorado
    Thanks for all of your info. I have a '94 Eldorado Touring Coupe with just over 94,000. Today I had new rear brakes done and the mechanic told me that I will be needing new struts soon. I have noticed a rumble and clatter which is new. We got under the car and he is correct in his diagnosis. Doing my internet research I found this thread and am very glad to hear your information.
    My question: Do you think its worth it to use non-Cadillac parts. This is my 3rd Caddy and I have always used Cad/GM/Delco parts.
    Do you feel its acceptable to sacrifice the suspension control features?
    I know its very damn expensive to go with new Caddy struts - $2400.00 is what the mechanic quoted me.
    Thanks for any and all opinions from you and others on this thread.

CaliEldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks Ralph.
    I discussed this with the Garage owner and sent him some links to BostonSuspension and Dennis. I think this is just what I need. Once he reviews it I think he will agree. He also mentioned researching into passive struts and seeing if he could come up with anything else. Fortunately he is a very creative mechanic and has some 1st class guys working with him.
    I really appreciate these forums. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodyr
    I think it is acceptable use other than original parts. After saying that there are some things I would always use Cad/GM/Delco parts. I just didnít want to part with that much cash. I have been driving these cars for over twenty years. As soon as the new passive system loosens up a bit it will be fine. I donít believe the passive system will ever give you the ride that you get with the air. I donít spend a lot time in my cars so what I did made sense to me. I am still getting the SRC sometimes. I have read some where that some Cadillac dealers are offering a passive system. I think you have to be the judge of what you do. I hope this helps some. So far I am satisfied.

Ralph

Duncan101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just got a set of Passive front struts for my 94 STS with 100k
    from ARNOTT INDUSTRIES $299.00 US. Here is the link take a look
    http://www.arnottindustries.com/prod...modelYearId=32
    received them very quickly and really knowlegible people on the phone to talk too.They have kits for LINCOLN and FORD as well,will post as soon as they are installed.

Cheers

DeepPurple is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just put in front passive struts directly from AC/Delco. They come as a kit of 2...my cost was 150....but that's because i get them at cost The rears were already done. Then all you have to do is disable the SRC light, which is REAL easy (no cutting wires) at least the 92 Seville STS. I have the whole TSB of part numbers and such to convert w/ Delco parts and also the TSB to disable the light without replacing modules and such if anyone wants a copy. (I work at a service station)

falconeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by DeepPurple
    I just put in front passive struts directly from AC/Delco. They come as a kit of 2...my cost was 150....but that's because i get them at cost The rears were already done. Then all you have to do is disable the SRC light, which is REAL easy (no cutting wires) at least the 92 Seville STS. I have the whole TSB of part numbers and such to convert w/ Delco parts and also the TSB to disable the light without replacing modules and such if anyone wants a copy. (I work at a service station)
    DeepPurple,
    Are these struts electronic? I have a 97 STS and am really considering the passive deal. Let me know since you're probably more familiar.

DeepPurple is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nope, GM doesn't make the electronic ones anymore, at least thats what my TSB says from 2000. These are passive ones made special for the cars that used to have electronic ones.

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

I just finished my rear shocks with Arnott passive replacements.

I regularly visit several Cadillac forums and have my latest experiences posted at the link below.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=993

There is also a photo story I put together to try and explain how I did it.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto/shockreplacement.htm

Hope they will be helpful to anyone interested in doing this repair.

My Eibach Pro springs and front struts go in soon.

-George

jortega3333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello, new guy here and I think I am having the same problems starting as the SRC came on and has now gone off after seeing it once. I have really bad vibrations from the front on bumpy roads. My question is with the Boston company's Ebay package they also list a set up that has air shocks for the rear. Has anyone used that set yet and is it compatible with any factory controls? I have a 1994 STS with 85k that I just got and am trying to fix the little things wrong with it and this problem is annoying...Also, I thought that this company's kit had the electronics to fool the SRC message and computer...
    Another problem I am having is a knock coming from the front under accelleration and on bumps and I am not sure if it is related to the struts. I noticed another thread that may indicate some bushings on the sway bar that I will look at. Any chance this sound is coming form worn out struts?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks, James

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

I went with the Arnott shock system no computer error problems, price not too bad. Ride is great

The error code mentioned was a concern to me; I don't believe in black tape across the instrument panel to take of it, as some have posted previously.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9824

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Exclamation Re: REVIEWS - Strutmaster Passive Replacement Shocks

I feel sorry for some of you:disappoin Paying close to a 1000$ or more for your suspensions. I went to my Caddy DEALER today and asked for a price on new shocks in the back. He said for the original replacements that work off the computer's electronic level control it would be 400$, just for the rear. I asked about bypassing the system and he said that would be fine and many people go that route and are pleased. For that he quoted me 300$ for ALL 4! :coolgleam I consider myself lucky to have such an honest and knowledgeable service man at my local Cadillac, Chevrolet, Olds DEALERSHIP. Most dealers are out to rip a guy off, as many of you have experienced.

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Why? Why in North Dakota? could't your dealer be 1550 miles closer to me??

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i just bought mine last week and heard nuttin but good feedback about them . they also just came out with new air shocks for the backs. ive also foud out its about 4 hours labor to have them put in

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.