Brake Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Brake Problem in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello Today I had to slam the brakes down to avoid hitting some one who did the same infront. I ...
    dailo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 STS Right Hand Drive

Brake Problem

Hello

Today I had to slam the brakes down to avoid hitting some one who did the same infront. I was scared because the pedal froze. I stopped the car to check this, and realised that if i push the pedal really fast, its very stiff, and gradually moves down, you can hear the pump coming on.
    Is this the fluid? the booster, anyone with any ideas?
    Is the booster on this car, the ballast looking thing on the opposite side of the master cylinder?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Brake Problem

I don't know if this is your problem, but on a previous car I owned, a buick. when air was in the brake line(s), the brake pedal would not come up, or would come up very slowly.

To fix it, I had to bleed all 4 brake lines.

I'm sure someone who is more experience will chime in.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

It sounds like something vacuum related to me. Start the engine for a few seconds, then have someone else turn it off while you listen for leaks around the booster. Yes it's that ballast looking thing attached to the master cylender, or rather, the master cylender is attached to it.

I had someone come in a couple days ago that had the same symptoms you're describing. It turned out to be a hairline crack in the check valve that was leaking. The check valve is that plastic fitting that the big vacuum hose connects into on the booster. It's basically a one way valve that should only let air out, and not let air in. The hairline crack was letting air in and depleating the vacuum supply.

I'm not saying that your check valve is bad though, because I can't see it. I'm just saying that you should check for small vacuum leaks and such around the brake booster.

Are there any more symptoms? Say for instance, High idle? or sporadic idle speed? or codes?

dailo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 STS Right Hand Drive

nope no codes, no strange idle or anything. Cant hear any noises, except for the noise the pump makes when you push the break pedal down.
    Strange problem, guess it needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.