emergency brake problem???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, emergency brake problem??? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hello again everybody, i have yet another problem with my 1991 SDV, i went to get it inspected today and ...
    anthonioj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

emergency brake problem???

hello again everybody, i have yet another problem with my 1991 SDV, i went to get it inspected today and it failed because the emergrncy brake won't stay out when you push it to the floor? i read the owners manual and tried to apply the emergency brake according to the manual and it still won't lock when i push the pedal down? it will lock the wheels when i push it down so i know it works. what can i do? thx...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: emergency brake problem???

bump...

you may try posting this in the brake section too.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Is this problem only with the car in gear? If so then there is nothing wrong. There is a vacuum hose attached to the petal to make it release when you put the car in gear.

If it happens with the car in park, you have a problem. If so, you're gonna have to do some inspecting of the brake petal. To get a better look at it, you may need to take off the underdash panel. Look to see if the release lever is stuck, or if the spring detached itself from the release lever. Also detach the vacuum hose and fiddle around with the little mechanical arm attached to the vacuum canister. When you mess with everything, keep on trying the pedal, to see if it worked.

Hope this helps.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

In addition to the other fine suggestions, you might try spraying the mechanism with some WD-40 or equivalent. It gets pretty rusty and the pawl may be hanging up.

anthonioj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i've tried the manual release lever and it moves freely, it won't hold in or out of gear. i'm going to try and look under the dash today, thanks, i'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.