Cadillac Owners Forum banner
9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 ·
Short background ... I'm helping my brother with his 79 Caddy project and next part of the project on the agenda is to lower it a little. He's not wanting to bag it or do hydraulics or anything like that, just give it a nice little drop.

So, that leads me to where I am right now.
I've been trying to source some drop spindles for this caddy and have had no luck at all. Does anyone out there make spindles for the front 79 Caddy's?
I've failed miserably so far on my own so I figured I'd see what conventional wisdom people on here could impart. How have other caddy owners lowered their rides without bags or juice?
Links to products, manufacturers names, exc .... any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

#4 ·
Be prepared to change brake rotors when swapping some years as the spindles are not the same exact size. I once hit a curb with my '77 and had spindles from an '81 available. They worked but one or both of the wheel bearings was latger on the newer spindles so I had to use the rotors also.

#5 ·
In a recent find, all 1971-1996 front spindles (non ABS) are the same. With some non metric to metric potential issues showing up around 1979-1980. But Car-Part.com seems to indicate that they are interchangeable, so that may be just bad rumors over the years. There was a wheel bearing size change around 78-79 (inner).

Being the 77-96 B/D bodies share suspension with the 70-81 F car, look to them for lowering ideas.

1. Replace all the body to frame bushings with the aluminum spacers (makes for harsh ride, but stiffens car and improves handling)
2. Cut 1 coil off of springs in front. You will likely need to cut suspension bump stops as well.
3. Bell used to have lowering spindles. Sorta $$ though. But a good way to lower.
4. Convert to coil over shocks from QA1 and make it fully adjustable for ride hieght.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.