76 mushy brakes, help? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 76 mushy brakes, help? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; did this just happen or did u have brake problems before....I would jack the car up and have someone step ...
    turbocaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 76 mushy brakes, help?

did this just happen or did u have brake problems before....I would jack the car up and have someone step on the brakes and try to turn each wheel....see which side,frt or rear is not holding....while someone holds the brake pedal down,look at the brake hoses to see if they are ballooning out...

oyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 sdv

Hello: I one week ago picked up a 1979 sedan deville 89000 miles, body no rust,no dents trans slips a bit dash and seats cracked, runs good.385.00 I found out today that this car has rear disc brakes,how can that be?

Thanks

76CaddyHearse is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks this weekend i'll be getting under it looking around and bleeding the brakes if i don't see any thing obvious, thanks for the pointers!!!

79 deville, my hearse has drum brakes in the back, maybe some one put discs on the back? maybe the deville came with them? dunno... i'd think that would be a plus having them in the back too.

Ok it looks like I've found some more symptoms of my problem after putting the car on jack stands and taking off the wheels...

1.) back breaking by the hydraulic system is non-existent. With the car running and the break peddle to the floor the rear wheels spun freely. the emergency brake does lock up the rear drums. I tried to pull the rear drums off but I couldn't get them off over the shoes (I pulled and banged like hell but the best I could was to get them about half way, yea, I had the Ebrake off, any suggestions?)
    2.) beading the rear breaks, with the bleeder valve wide open, I got almost no fluid at all (with the car on and off and stepping on the peddle) a friend gave me a suction pump and I got only a few drops with that.
    3.) the front rotors are wiped out, big deep gouges in them despite the disc pads still had some life (obviously, I guess, from the over stress of not having rear breaks)

Suggestions? would you think my proportioning valve needs to be replaced or does it sound like I could have a clogged or collapsed break line in the rear (the line seems to be all metal going to the rear with a small part rubber to the rear axle, looks good...)?

Oh, and the little bit of fluid that came out of the back looked milky and dirty, the fluid in the master cylinder looks OK, I'll be changing all of the fluid once I find the source of this problem.

thanks for all of your suggestions!!!

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

With those new syptoms, it is definatly not the proportioning valve, and I don't think it's the metering valve (if it was, the same thing would happen, but to the front). For the drum, you just have to keep trying. Take a big flat-head screw driver and pry it, while you are hitting it with a hammer, and alternate sides. It should come off, even if only little by little.

I think, the most probable cause to your problem, is leaking cylenders in the drums.

leaking cylinder, huh? i've got no fluid dripping from back there...

I'll work harder on getting that drum off, i didn't know if i'd dammage the shoes/drum if i did it like you said (or if there was some trick to it). thanks!

thanks i'll get the drum off and look into it futher back there.

hmmm.. i have no fluid dripping from back there...

thanks for the the info about taking off the drums, i didn't know if there was a trick to it or if you just have to pry/hit it off even.

hmmm.. i have no fluid dripping from back there...

thanks for the the info about taking off the drums, i didn't know if there was a trick to it or if you just have to pry/hit it off even.

Must've been an echo in the second page of this thread. LOL

Try pushing in on the rubber boots on the cylender. If any fluid shoots out, you know it's bad.

thanks, cylinders leaking? no fluid is coming out back there...
    Maybe they are a seazed up. I'll pull on the drums till they come off, i was told that there's probably a self adjust that i can back off on to get overt the lip of wear on the drum, yes?

thanks for the advice!

sorry for the echo... i've been having problems seeing my own posts (geez, i've got a lot of prblems huh?) hehehe

No fluid leaking, huh? Well, my next thought is to disconnect the line going into the cylenders, then step on the brake to see if fluid shoots out from the line. If not, work your way up to the master cylender by disconnecting the line at the various connection points, and testing if there is flow by stepping on the brake. If there isn't any flow at one connection, then the next connection down has flow, you know that the blockage is in between those two points. If there is no flow even out of the master cylender then you know that the master cylender is no good. Make absolutly sure that the master cylender is full the whole time while you do this though.

Hope this helps.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by 76CaddyHearse
    thanks, cylinders leaking? no fluid is coming out back there...
    Maybe they are a seazed up. I'll pull on the drums till they come off, i was told that there's probably a self adjust that i can back off on to get overt the lip of wear on the drum, yes?
    Yes. It's common for a lip to form on the outer edge of drums. There's a star wheel adjuster that you be able to turn with a flat screwdriver thru a slot behind the wheel assembly. Look for it near the bottom. If you turn it the wrong way the wheel will get hard to turn. Just reverse the direction.

Also rust forms around the drum and axle that will make it difficult to break loose. I use a soft mallet and some liquid wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    ...There's a star wheel adjuster that you be able to turn with a flat screwdriver thru a slot behind the wheel assembly. Look for it near the bottom. If you turn it the wrong way the wheel will get hard to turn. Just reverse the direction...
    Yes, you're right, but it is a PITA to make it loosten with the drum still on. This is because of a ratcheting devise that will only let it tighten, unless you lift up on its spring loaded arm. He did say that he could get them about half way off though, he should be able to get at it with the drum off that far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.