Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Does anyone know how to by-pass the sss system on a 93 deville? My check sss light is on. I ...
    dbuehn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

Does anyone know how to by-pass the sss system on a 93 deville?
    My check sss light is on.
    I try the access the system and after the 888 segment all I get is 7.0 on the fuel data center. I read how you can by-pass the check sss light. but the link shown in the fourm is gone non-existed.

dave

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

i still think the easiest way for you is to remove the bulb from that light

trumaine02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE. I HAVE A 95 CADILLAC DEVILLE AND i AM GETTING TWO MESSAGES ON MY DASH "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" AND "TRACTION DISABLED". MY "SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT" ALSO COMES ON WHEN I MAKE LONG ROAD TRIPS. SPECIFICALLY WHEN I GET UP TO 65 MPH BUT GOES OFF WHEN I DECREASE MY SPEED. I DID THE ON BOARD DIAGONOSTICS AND I AM GETTING THE FOLLOWING CODES: P027 HISTORY, I027 HISTORY, I039 CURRENT, AND TO67 HISTORY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS AS TO WHAT IS WRONG?

do you have a northstar or 4.9 ?

also , on the left side of the keyboard find the "caps" key , push and hold it untill the "caps lock" indicator ont he ride side of the keyboard turns off , this will clear any unnessesary captializiation ....(kiddin with ya)

ha ha ha. sorry about the caps. but I have a 4.9

ok , first clear the codes you have that should shut off the TCS warning , as for IO39 , its pretty common , it could mean problems with the struts , the controller or the data lines...In my case , it was all of the above and i ended up changeing a option setting in my IPC ....most folks can sure the io39 by doing the relay bypass which i belive has been covered in this thread ...

Any idea on if your struts are any good ? does the car bottom out on speedbumps ? like after the front wheels pass the speed bump it bounces down onto the bump with the middle of the car ? how many miles are on it ?

how do i clear the codes?

my car has 86,000 miles. As far as my struts are, i don't think my car bottoms out. My rear seems to be lower than usual. i took my car to Gateway(friend manages the place) and he told me that my struts are fine. He said something about the motor to the rear leveling system isn't coming on. The mechanic told me that he thinks i have a bad motor or something is wrong with my wiring. what do you think?

i've been searching the internet and i found what those codes mean but i still have no idea what they mean. It's like another language to me.

I027- PRND321 switch failure
    I039- Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data
    T067- Brake Light Switch Failure(TCS Equipped Vehicles Only)
    P027- Open throttle signal switch

well after you get your codes by pushing "off and warmer" at the same time you press fan "hi" when it says "PCM?" then push fan "lo" till you see "CLEAR PCM CODES?" push fan "hi" , then itll say "PCM CODES CLEAR" then it should say "PCM?" push fan "lo" till you see "IPC?" then fan "hi" then push fan "lo" till you see "CLEAR IPC CODES?" push fan "HI" ...after that one is done you keep going thru each prompt youll have to do it for "PCM", "IPC" , "TCS"...

Or.....Pull boath batery cables off the battery and hold them together for 15 seconds , this will discharge the capacitors in the system and also clear the codes ....

either way

As for you codes and what they mean .....

I027 is the car is basicly telling you it has no exact idea what gear you are in , the swtich is down on the tranny. grab a flashlight and a helper , have the helper with the engine off run the shifter thru the gears while you watch under the hood int he area of the tranny for something moveing , youll see a cable moving a lever back and forth on a little balck plastic item with several wires coming out of it , this is the swtich the car is talking about .... If you decide to replace this yourself let us know

I039 is basicly that the car is saying "i have no idea what the suspension is doing" , it also can mean its haveing trouble communictaeing or getting results out of the suspension system , this is a very tricky code to deal with ....

T067 , do you have brakelights ? might wanna check ....swtich is located just above the brake pedal under the dash , the vertical portion of the brake pedal rests against it , should have a few wires connected to it (2 i think)

PO27 can mean a few things , most of the time this is in referance to a swtich that among other things cuts off the A/C compressor at full throttle ....

but if i remeber right you said all but "IO39" was a history code

i cleared the codes. now it's only giving me the IO39 history code. what do you think i need to do? Leave it alone, try to fix it myself or take it to the cadillac dealearship to get it checked out?

depends on your budget , say you bring it to me at the dealership , im gonna charge you about 96 bucks to have my guys figure out whats wrong with it , if you decide to have us fix it , its about the same ammount per hour , with the initial 96 bucks removed ...

really if t rides fine , doesnt bottom out and everything seems fine just let it go ...

SupraDad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

Terry,

Got the same "Ride control" problems as everyone else with this model DeVille. Tried to visit the web site you suggested http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/disable.htm to Check out and print the by-pass solution but I can't connect to the server. Any chance you have a different web site to pull the information from. Appreciate any help you can muster.

SupraDad
    Quote Originally Posted by custom-uniforms
    Hello everybody,

This is a very common problem with these cars.
    I got a service manual on ebay and have read up on this.
    It can be a loose wire, dirt in the system, the SSS module the IPC, the struts, the sensors, the lift/dive sensors, the accelometers, the level ride system and other things.

There is a way to have the SSS module blink out the problem codes but the info it reports may not be reliable
    I am told.

To make a long story short the most economical way to sove this problem is to by-pass the whole system.
    I found a webpage that explains how to do it.

You need a couple inexpensive parts the can be found on http://www.gmpartsdirect.com for less money than the dealer.

Check out and print the by-pass solution found at http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/disable.htm

It says only to do this when switching to non electric struts but if you feel your original struts are OK it still works and you can keep your original ones.

The bottom line is when the vehicle is going over 15 miles per hour, or quick starting, or quick stopping, or fast cornering the struts will go from soft mode to firm mode.

Cadillac should have avoided all this technolgy and always
    had the struts stay in firm mode in my opinion.

My advise would be keeping your old struts and bypassing the system with the disable information link above.

In the short term you can press the information buttton on the dash to make the service ride control message go away until you start up the car again.

I'm still waiting to here back from the guy who found the IPC is loose under the dash, this would cause a bad wire connection and could be the casue. I'll have my mechanic check it out because both the bulbs that light up PRND are out and the dash has to come off to replace them.

Maybe this is a defect that should be part of a GM recall.
    Everyone I know who has a 94 Deville has this problem.
    Some spend thousands trying to have ot fixed and it comes back, I say bypass the electronic struts and save your money.

Please advise, Terry

rpsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The correct link for the procedure to disable the Service Ride Control light is here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/disable.htm

Even after looking at that, though, I am not sure how to do this on my 1995 Deville. Here's what it says about my car:

1994-1995 DeVille with Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) and 4.9L Engines ONLY: Refer to the 1994 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille Service Manual, page 8A-43-14:
    • Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED)
    • Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay
    • Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay
    • Run a ground wire to relay pin 30
    • Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in run) source to relay pin 85.
    I found the module mounted on the back of the back seat, on the top-right. This module has the white plastic window on it that Logan mentioned earlier in this thread. The instructions above say "cut circuit 370 (RED)". But this module has 2 red wires coming out of it. Which one am I supposed to cut? Anyopne know?

Linvan61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldgamer
    What do you mean under "funny noises"? It’s possible all right. Every time in ~ 20 sec after you turn on the key, RSS make self diagnostic and you SHOULD hear air compressor running for about a sec, and then you SHOULD hear air exhaust when it opens valve. No point to change air compressor if you hear all that.
    Hi i read your post and am having trouble with my 95 seville sls. I hear that pump running after the key is on for a few, not sure about the release of air. I am getting the Service Ride control light, but my car rides terrible, unlike some of the others have posted. I get "replace struts" from just about everyone, but the struts were replaced 4 yrs ago. I would assume they would last longer than that. So where do i look now?? The air hose? Connection to struts? All this problem started when my daughter had a blow out on the right rear. Busted the air strut and had it replaced at a preferred cadillac place. After that the back of the car would be real high, then it would eventually go down. Then the service ride control light would come on, go off, on again. Now it stays on all the time, feels like I have no shock absorbers, crawls all over the road, hits bumps pretty hard. GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS??

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's hardto say what's going on now with your car after rear collision.
    Anyway, you can start pulling out the computer codes. It will tell you at least something, but I think that terrible ride isn't related to "service ride" messages, but something else. Computer switches to "firm" ride with some codes, though.

joekid417 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac DeVille

Question Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

Custom-Uniforms posted a site that described how to disable the ride suspension problem, does anyone know where that information might be now? I tried the link but I keep getting the page is no longer available message.
    THANKS for any help with this, Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.