Cadillac Owners Forum banner
261K views 169 replies 89 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Need some expert advice here. Purchased a '94 DeVille (with the SSS system) from the son of the original owner (38k miles). "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message is on the dash. Took car to the local Cadillac dealer and was told it would be one hour labor to diagnose; figured it was one of the struts and at least one pair of struts would need replacing. After one hour, I was told that none of the struts was receiving a signal and they would need more shop time (1 or 2 more hours) to examine the wiring to determine the cause, as there seemed to be a dead short. They said they would start at the fuses and relays and work from there. I went ahead and approved the additional time. After two more hours, I was told that the wiring was fine and now they were looking at two control modules and the wiring between them (I'll get to another point later, but I am after-the-fact guessing they were referring to the SSS module and the PCM). After another 1.5 hours I was told the car needed a new "Body Control Module", which they would have to order. I asked what the bill was so far and was presented with 4.5 hours that was $20 per hour HIGHER than the shop rate I had been quoted when I made the service appointment two weeks earlier. Oops, someone must have given me an incorrect rate...I told them to close out my bill and give me a detailed estimate on their recommended repairs with a list of needed parts, part numbers and prices. Kind of felt like I was financing the education on the Cadillac SSS for his service technician and I still did not have a great deal of confidence in his diagnosis. I was told by the guy in the parts department a price for the "needed parts", but "I didn't need the part numbers because they knew which ones to order and would get them when I made another appointment to have the rest of the work done".

Long story short, I referred back to the factory shop manual and could find no "Body Control Module" for a '94 DeVille with SSS. Called back the service writer at my local Cadillac dealer and, after consultation with the service tech, now decided it was the PCM that my car needed. OK, now that's at least a part this car has!

Fast forward to yesterday. Had a reason to call the owner's son and he said the car was taken to their dealer for diagnosis of the same thing before I bought it. He said his dealer had told him whatever was defective was no longer available from GM and the cure was this bypass harness that GM sells. Called that dealer this morning, but no notation was made on the work order except "Check and Advise", but no mention was made as to what the advisement was. This was only about six weeks ago, so I asked to have the tech or writer who handled the car to give me a call back; I'm hoping maybe they remember what they found out when they inspected the car in late October.

Does any of this sound plausible? HELP!!!!!

sdhow
sdhoward@parker.com

See less See more
#102 ·
The correct link for the procedure to disable the Service Ride Control light is here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/disable.htm

Even after looking at that, though, I am not sure how to do this on my 1995 Deville. Here's what it says about my car:

1994-1995 DeVille with Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) and 4.9L Engines ONLY: Refer to the 1994 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille Service Manual, page 8A-43-14:
  • Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED)
  • Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay
  • Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay
  • Run a ground wire to relay pin 30
  • Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in run) source to relay pin 85.
I found the module mounted on the back of the back seat, on the top-right. This module has the white plastic window on it that Logan mentioned earlier in this thread. The instructions above say "cut circuit 370 (RED)". But this module has 2 red wires coming out of it. Which one am I supposed to cut? Anyopne know?

#103 ·
oldgamer said:
What do you mean under "funny noises"? It’s possible all right. Every time in ~ 20 sec after you turn on the key, RSS make self diagnostic and you SHOULD hear air compressor running for about a sec, and then you SHOULD hear air exhaust when it opens valve. No point to change air compressor if you hear all that.
Hi i read your post and am having trouble with my 95 seville sls. I hear that pump running after the key is on for a few, not sure about the release of air. I am getting the Service Ride control light, but my car rides terrible, unlike some of the others have posted. I get "replace struts" from just about everyone, but the struts were replaced 4 yrs ago. I would assume they would last longer than that. So where do i look now?? The air hose? Connection to struts? All this problem started when my daughter had a blow out on the right rear. Busted the air strut and had it replaced at a preferred cadillac place. After that the back of the car would be real high, then it would eventually go down. Then the service ride control light would come on, go off, on again. Now it stays on all the time, feels like I have no shock absorbers, crawls all over the road, hits bumps pretty hard. GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS??

#104 ·
It's hardto say what's going on now with your car after rear collision.
Anyway, you can start pulling out the computer codes. It will tell you at least something, but I think that terrible ride isn't related to "service ride" messages, but something else. Computer switches to "firm" ride with some codes, though.

#106 ·
im trying to find it ...alot of the stuff is missing right now

basicly a relay is wired into ckt 370 red at the module in the trunk ...with the key on the relay is energized and one side of the circuit is grounded ....you may also need to adjust the iso8 setting int he ipc overirides like i had to ....

all the info is here somewhere on my computer ....problem is i got a new computer since i had been thru this so its in a file on this computer marked "Dell" ....itll take some digging

#109 ·
I've got a problem I hope someone can give guidance on. I have a 95 Concourse and just went to passive struts on the front. The shop who did the work installed the resistor that came withe the shocks and now I get the "Service Ride Control" message after a couple miles of driving. It will go away if the car is turned off, but will then return after a few miles of driving.
Does any one know of a way to eliminate this?

#111 ·
I just fixed my SRC message. I ran the codes and got S061 and S063. I ordered 2 height control sensors from a junkyard, snapped them in and no more problems. I just thought you'd like to know that before you do the disable proceedure. They were fairly easy to put in. Just gotta use your noggin! In the case that I might need new struts, I would consider the passives and do the message disable proceedure. If it could be fixed for $150 like mine, I'd rather have the electronically controlled ride.

#112 ·
Hey Guys I have a 97 sts ...for the longest time ..When I would hit a bump my stability warning would come on and my abs and trac contor lights would come on the dash ......So I went and looked at the front end conections from the speed sensor ...now the warning lights will not go off ....so I checked the speed sensors with a ohme metter and the are ok ...But when I read the codes it is telling me that my letf front and right rear is not working ...Now my question is are they both on the same circut ? any help on this would be great cause it's driving me nuts

#113 ·
This thread is insane. It's dedicated to fixing the common Service ride control message but there isn't a single clear cut post on how to do this. Some say do a resistor thing, others say swap out struts. I want to change out my struts but the closest cadillac dealership doesn't do it anymore. I don't have enough skill to rip apart this and that and be able to put it back together again. Does anybody know a reliable suspension person in the D.C. area that knows how to do this?

#114 ·
I also have that "service ride control" on my display.

I have a Cadillac STS 1994 with Northstar 4,6 L engine
Original, but Europe sold so I have km/h instead of miles
and Celsius instead of Farenheit. I guess/think but I'm not shure,
that those cars that were shipped to Europe had harder suspension
springs ???

If I press "red" (warm) button and "off" buttom I have these codes:

P052 HISTORY
P061 HISTORY
P062 HISTORY
P071 HISTORY
P091 HISTORY
P109 HISTORY

NO IPC CODES
NO ACP CODES
NO SIR CODES

T072 HISTORY
T073 HISTORY

S015 HISTORY
S016 HISTORY
S018 HISTORY
S036 HISTORY
S044 HISTORY
S061 HISTORY

What does all these codes have the word histroy behind ?
What does all these codes mean ?
Is it good or bad to not have any codes on IPC, ACP and SIR ?

Looking forward to solve this. Thanks for the time you lay down trying to help me (and others with same codes). :) :worship: :thumbsup:

#116 ·
It sounds like I have the same issue you have with my ’94 Sedan DeVille. When checking my code it also read Code IO39. When I took it to the dealership they said I needed all 4 struts & shocks replaced and a relay. I am getting the Service Ride Control Alert, and when I drive over 15 miles per hours I hear a noise on the left front of the car that tends to get louder when I turn or the car shifts. It is a dull groan. Does this sound like a similar description of your problem? And what did you finally find out?

#118 ·
I have a 96 eldo with 70k and been seeing this message for a while now.. it seems to come up when i take off fast and sudden braking.. i guess the suspension is getting softer as well.
I think i'm just going to replace the suspension and by-pass the signal..
I know there is a how-to but the links are no longer good since this thread was started in 2003.. maybe someone can post up some updated info.
If i find some info that is updated i'll post back.
Thank you.

#121 ·
hello all! i joined this forum to see if anyone had any luck solving the service ride control problem! i too have a 1994 sedan deville with the same error message. i am wondering if it is telling the truth and if the problem could be a crack/leak in one of the hard plastic air lines that go to all the struts? i am going to check all of my lines tomorrow and will let you know what i find. those hard plastic air lines vs soft rubber hoses are very prone to breakage with age. does this make any sense to anyone out there?

thanks all!

#123 ·
I just read through this whole thread and see a glaring lack of information on the 93 N* seville. Every time it was asked about no useful answer was given. The TSB specifically excludes the 93 N* seville.
obvious reason for my Gripe, I just converted my front struts to passive and cut the wires to the struts. now my "service ride control" message pops up every couple of minutes. my rear struts haven't been replaced yet (too $$) but they will be in the future.
How can I shut up this bleepin' computer!!!

oh and for the record the passive struts that monroe and delco show for the rear are wrong (71854, 801854 and 503-343) for the 93 n* STS

#124 ·
I just bought a 94 sts a few months ago. It to has the "service ride control" indicator lit up. The car is in excellent condition however it has 194,000 miles. I bought it from an old man and women and it was a 1 owner. The car has been very well maintenanced and garage kept. Honestly I could care less about the indicator light. But the car rides horribly. I read this forum to start to finish, I checked my codes and tested my air compressor (it seems to be working). After reading this from start to finish I think I know whats wrong with my car. I think it is stuck in soft mode. The back looks as though it sets to low and on ruff roads it rides like a log truck. After reading all this I realy don't want to go to a dealership just to get told I need new shocks and struts when that might not be the case. I just want my car to ride better!!! I am no mechanic by any means. I'm a 25 year old college boy in Atlanta GA. Can someone please tell me what other things I can do to find out exactly why the car is riding so bad or a way for me to know for sure if it is stuck in soft mode or if in fact my shocks and struts are bad? If they are stuck in soft mode, will just changing a sensor or module fix that? Please Help! And here are my codes.
PO52
PO36
PO53
PO56
PO85
P109
P137
SO36
SO44
SO63

#126 ·
Reguarding My 95' Cad Deville,and Your Post There Is A Cad.tsb Allows You Turn Off(service Ride Control) By Installing A Relay At The Sss Module That Tricks Ips Cluster Into Thinking That It Is O.k.first Where Do I Get This Relay? And How Is It Connected To Thesss Module And Does It Automatically Cancell The Message.

#127 ·
Info -- Procedure to Disable Illumination of Service Indicator AFTER installing Passive Struts #00-03-11-001A

Applies to:
  • 1989-1992 Cadillac Allante
  • 1991-1993 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville
  • 1991-1995 Cadillac DeVille
This bulletin is being revised to clarify when this bulletin may be used to turn the service suspension lamp off. Also, a step has been added to the 1991 Cadillac Eldorado and Seville repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-03-11-001 (Section 3 -- Suspension)
Some owners may bring their vehicles in for service with an illuminated service suspension light. The service suspension indicator lamp is telling the owner that the vehicle is due for strut/shock replacement, a maintenance item. The customer may elect to have passive struts installed in their vehicles due to the repair cost savings and/or parts availability. The installation of passive shock/struts will result in handling characteristics which are the equal to a like vehicle without the computer controlled ride, with all other components such as tires, tire pressure, springs, etc. being equal. The installation of (4) new passive struts will cause the continued illumination of the service suspension indicator. If desired by the customer, the service indicator may be disabled AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF THE (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS, using the appropriate service procedure listed below. This bulletin DOES NOT authorize this procedure unless (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS WERE INSTALLED ON THE VEHICLE.
The wiring harness going to each strut and or chock assembly should be cut and taped back to clean-up the appearance both under the hood and under the vehicle. In addition, each specific vehicle will require a modification as outlined below:
  • 1989-1992 Allante with Speed Dependent Damping (SDD): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-13 (1989) or 8D-14 (1990-1992). On these vehicles, adjust the BCM Override value "BS08". To do this, use the warmer/cooler button on the CCDIC to decrease the BCM override value "BS08" which is displayed when you enter the system by two(2). When the desired number is displayed on the CCDIC, it must be stored by holding the "Elapsed Time" and "Fuel Used" buttons until the new value flashes on and off. When it flashes on and off, the new value has been stored.
  • 1991 Eldorado and Seville with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-12. Set the BCM override value BS09 to 0 by using the warmer and cooler buttons. Store this value by pressing the Econ button on the climate control panel and the Instant Econ button on the Fuel Data/Drivers Information Center for about five seconds. The new value will be stored even through the indicator does not flash. Remove the key from the ignition. Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. When both cables have been disconnected, touch the ends of the cables together and hold for five seconds. This will discharge the capacitors in the system and allow the system to perform properly when the battery cables are reconnected. Advise the customer they will have to reset all radio stations and clock.
  • 1993 Eldorado and Seville with Speed Sensitive Suspension and 4.9L Engine Only: Refer to page 8A-43-6 in the 1992 Eldorado Seville Service Manual.
    • Cut Circuit 1020 (PINK)
    • Attach the IPC side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 87A
    • Attach the module side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 86
  • 1991-1993 DeVille with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual, page 8A-43-0. Cut Circuit 1300 (Dark Green wire) at the CCR module (Pin C15) to disable the indicator lamp. Tape the wires back into the harness to prevent shorting to other components.
  • 1994-1995 DeVille with Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) and 4.9L Engines ONLY: Refer to the 1994 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille Service Manual, page 8A-43-14:
    • Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED)
    • Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay
    • Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay
  • The following part numbers are required to make the correction on the 1993 Eldorado/Seville and the 1994-1995 DeVille:
Part Number
Description
Qty
Relay
Connector
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

#128 · (Edited)
FYI the above procedure worked like a charm on our 94 Deville with 4.9. There is no need to get the GM parts listed above. I got a $4 generic relay at the parts store and it worked great. It is very easy to do this install. It took me about 15 minutes. Here are more details in case anyone is interested:

Parts needed: generic relay (most have the same numbers as in the above directions: 85,86,87a, 30) . The relays are on the shelf near the fuses at most parts stores. Some quarter inch female terminals, a couple of feet of 16 or 18 gauge wire, two splice doohickeys for tapping into wires without having to cut them. A couple of small wire nuts.

1. Locate the module in the right rear compartment of trunk.
2. Locate three wires: Red (circuit 370) I think this is C15 on the plug, Brwn 12 V ( C16)this is near the red wire and black ground (D15) is also near the red wire. The shop manual 800-43-14 shows the diagram with the correct labels.
3. Wire the relay as described above. you only need to cut one wire, the red one. The black and brown can be tapped without cutting.
4. After wiring is done you can attach the relay to the board with a small screw, there are several locations for doing this.

That is it. All this does is force a polarity reverse for the red IPC circuit. When the module tries to ground the red wire to send the SRC message, this relay is energized and forces an open circuit. I wish we had done this 3 years ago. It is so nice to not see that annoying message, no more having to push the information button!

#149 ·
Hi, My name is Alain Simard and I live in Quebec city, Canada. I have a Cadillac Deville 1994 and I would like to change my front struts by a passive struts solution with relay and connector. I buyed from Cadillac in Chicago a pair of front struts ACDELCO with relay. I'm not sure that I undersand very well how to connect the relay. I read from Cadillac Owner's your message. I understand that I have to connect the relay to SPEED SENSITIVE SUSPENSION MODULE locate in the trunk. I have the electric plan in hand. I understand the first 3 steps of the procedure connection :
1. Locate and cut circuit 370 (red) 2- Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to PIN 87A of the relay 3- Attach the module side of the circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay. For the 2 others steps, I'm not sure : Does 'Run a ground wire to relay pin 30' means attach PIN 30 of the relay to the C16 (brown wire) and Does 'Run a wired from switched ignition (Hot in run) source to relay pin 85' means attach pin 85 to the D15 (black wire) ? I'm not sure because I'm a french Canadian and I live in a french world. Thank for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.