Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; dude I highly recommend against Monroe. As a mechanic we used to use that shock and have had numerous complains ...
    Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

dude I highly recommend against Monroe. As a mechanic we used to use that shock and have had numerous complains such as road noise, the shock blew out far too soon, etc. Anyway I recommend replacing them with original AC DELCO struts (GM actually had a TSB [tech service bulliten] and released a new part number to replace the active struts with passives) the replacement passive struts are supposed to emulate the sport ride, which is the hardest ride the active struts go to and is an incredible ride. IF you want a stiffer ride go with the KYB struts.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

kyb makes a strut for the 94-95 deville ?

I am almost 95% positive they do. They make struts for all makes and models as far as I know. I'll try and remember and ask my parts supplier tomorrow if you would like

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi, i have a 1994 sedan deville with samne problem i went through all my codes and have all my ACP DATA RESULTS INPUT RESULTS AND OVERRIDE RESULTS BUT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN. I ALSO LEARNED THAT IF U CLEAR A;LL UR CODES U WIL GET RID OF ALL THE HISTORY CODES WHICH DONT MEAN NUTTIN UR LOOKING FOR THE PONES THAT SAY CURRENT AFTER THE PREFIX CODE. MT SHPOWS PO-85 WHICH IS IDLE THROTTLE ANGLE TO HIGH ANYONE KLNOW WHAT THAT IS AND HOW TO FIX IT I ALSO HAVE A 1039 WHICH FLASHES BACK AND FORTH FROMCURRENT TO HISTORY THEN I HAD A IO52 WHICH IS KEEPING A LIVE MEMORY WHICH SEEMED TO CLEAR AFTER I CLEARED ALL THE CODES AND HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE THANKS Sal

PS: I ACTUALLY WROTE ALL MY INPUTS AND PUTPUTS AND OVERIDE RESULTS DOWN FOR ALL MY PCM ACP ETC;S..BUT DONT KNOW WHAT THE H_LL THEY MEAN OR HOW TO know if they are working right Or not thanks again
    Sal

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

IPC code IO39.....the IPC will not display the codes for the SSS system. IO39 just informs the cluster/IPC...and you. That it detects a problem.

To pull the actual codes for the SSS system, you have to do a flash code retrieval at the actual module in the trunk....or on the module under the drivers seat...depends on year /model.

As for repairing the system. On a 10 year old car its hard to justify the expense of factory electronic struts.

There is a Cadillac TSB that allows you to turn off the message. It involves installing a relay at the SSS module that tricks the IPC cluster into thinking the system is ok. The TSB is posted on caddyinfo.

$800 dealership wiring mod? Uhh...you need to find a new dealer. Its a $5 relay and 30 minute fix.

If the car is riding ok. This repair would the the way to go. On my '93....I could never even tell when the system was firm...or soft. I dont miss it. I sold the car with 203k....with relay....with original struts. You also need to take into account other components are also wearing out....bushings, ball joints, body mounts, etc.

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

The throttle angle too high (PO-85) is a Throttle Position Sensor reading too high. Most of the time it is usally that sensor (aka TPS) which is bad. But it can be wiring or connector given the age of the car.

If the car rode the same with original struts after 200k miles I think perhaps your need to not spend the money overrode your judgement of the rebound. An average strut starts to rebound excessively when it hits 100k miles, and in the city, depending on the driver, it can be less mileage. I mean maybe you lived on the perfect streets in the flattest areas, but for the typical person, especially on Cadillacs, where the car is a soft ride to begin with, you should replace the struts around 100k miles.

I just called my parts supplier to inquire today and to remove the active strut system with passive struts, in the front, is about $390 for the kit, and whatever the labor cost would additionally be (I think its about 2 hours). Its a kit that, I am assuming disables the active control system.

IO39 is not a direct indication the ride control module is kaput...it indicates the module has triggered a code. You have to obtain the code(s) at the module.

The PO85 is typically not cause by a bad TPS sensor. The throttle plates get dirty and flag this code. Cleaning the throttle plates and running the idle re-learn procedure will fix this code. Pretty common issue....

Yeah, I am familiar with struts and rebound. Granted that car was run mostly highway miles on pretty smooth Tennessee highways. At 203k the struts were fine. Except for...of course...the front strut sensor code.

But wouldn't a dirty throttle body register a TPS too low and cause idle problems? Or does the throttle position go too high because the car is trying to save idle? I work on towncars and crown vics too much . Yes you do have to do an idle relearn procedure.

Right from the Cadillac service manual for PO85 'idle throttle angle too high'-

" The PCM is limited to a fixed amount of learned throttle angle that it can apply. When this limit is reached, Code PO85 will set. The cause of this increase in learned throttle angle is usually deposits in the throttle body."

Basically step one on the diagnostic chart is clean the throttle body.

"do a flash code retrieval at the actual module in the trunk"

is this watching the led in the module in the trunk ? is this the same procedure where i ride in the trunk at 40 mph ? is is there a way to look at it in the trunk with the lid open and car not moving ? i suppose it displays codes as example: flash /pause/ flash flash (code 12) do i need to jump anything ?

thankx a bunch logan

You get into the SSS/CCR system by grounding pin 'C' on the ALDL. On the module there is a white plastic window with a LED behind it. It will flash codes after pin 'C' is grounded. It will repeat the codes as long as it is grounded. Kind of like the older GM flash diagnostics.

Code-
    12 diagnostic mode
    23 left front strut
    24 right front strut
    25 left rear strut
    26 right rear strut
    31 lift/dive input error
    32 lateral acceleration error
    35 speed-sensitive steering error

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

very cool , i shall try it tonight

thankx again logan , your a good asset to our community

Roswell256 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I keep gettting an S011 on my '94 Concours. I'm wondering if this could be related to a comptuer problem or if it is the whole strut. Anyone have any experience with the Realtime Road Sensing Suspension in the Concourses??

The RSS system is much more complex then the SSS/CCR system.

SO11 is left front dampener. Its not the complete strut....its a mini shock absorber looking sensor. I would check the wiring and connector plug etc. Then clear the codes and retest.

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

Roswell256 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    SO11 is left front dampener. Its not the complete strut....its a mini shock absorber looking sensor.
    Your saying that everyone has been telling me I need an $800 strut when the part that is throwing the error is seperate and replaceable??? THANK YOU...THANK YOU.... THANK YOU... I hope your right. I just ordered a set of Helms service manuals today. They should get here early next week or this weekend. I'll check it all out then when I have an idea of what I'm doing. Thank you again.

-Roswell-

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.