Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; here is a bump...
    Neosonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Speed Sensitive Suspension and the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

here is a bump

johndeeret is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

OK, Ive read so much on replacing the electronic stuts with passive ones, but here is one main question for my 93 Deville, Monro makes replacement ones for about $80 each. Strutmasters and arnott have them for about $140 each, bottom line, won't I still get the bouncy ride if I have adults in the back with the passive struts - thus the more weight in the back seat and trunk the more bounce from passive struts?

57james is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac SLS

Went to the web site ,could not figure out how to get to the solution for ride control? is there a link or something I'm missing?

kelbopack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1995 sls sweet !

I too have replaced the 1039 and varius computer parts and still the service ride control lights
    up on the dash from time to time I just hit the info button on the dash and move on, with no change
    in performance so don:t waste alot of sleep and drive it like u stole it! kelbopack

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Thread Hijack......Where did you pick up the handle "Kellogg Bowl Pak" ???

skh1955 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville

I have a 96 Deville with same issue. After investigating I found the rod that goes to the wheel position sensor and lower control arm had broken. Easy fix, when to junk yard and purchased one for 10 bucks and popped it on.

French member is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 94

I understand your explanation about I039 DTC. However, I live in a French World (Quebec Canada) and I don't understand the difference between STRUTS and SHOCKS ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A strut is usually an integral load carrying part of the front or rear suspension which also incorporates the damping function of a shock absorber, which was originally an additional, replacable suspension part used exclusively to damp spring/road return oscillation.

Today, the two terms have become almost interchangable with the widespread use of independent rear suspensions and strut-supported front suspension.

Modern struts may also incorporate electrical features to allow the car control systems to alter the damping characteristics almost instantly.

indianavince is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a leaking front strut and funny groaning noises with stops, turns, reversal. (speed limit to 90mph message comes and goes)
    Do I replace the factory ride control struts? or a kit for "normal" struts. Savings is about $1300.
    4-wheel job for 4 non OEM "replacement" kit to overide the ride control system. $1700.
    2 wheel OEMfactory job front only $2450. 4 wheel factory OEM job $3100.
    I have 100,000 k, it get's 32 mpg highway. I have Michelin Hydrodge rubber with at least 60k of life left, full brake job and engine mounts 15k miles ago. What would you do? I suspect the "non OEM ride control omit KIT) will be fine. I suspect I will have another $700 repair at some point in the next 18 months? 2000 SLS that is long paid for.

92_Seville_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 seville STS

Hello Cadillac friends,

I´ve read trough all the 15 pages but i am still not shure how i can properly read out the codes on a 92 STS (export model).

I checked the codes in diagnostic mode(hold warmer button...etc) but i couldnt figure out which are the ones for the 4 different struts?!?

I also have a connector under the Dash, but i would prefer to do it over the Diagnostic mode of the Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    A strut is usually an integral load carrying part of the front or rear suspension which also incorporates the damping function of a shock absorber, which was originally an additional, replacable suspension part used exclusively to damp spring/road return oscillation.

Today, the two terms have become almost interchangable with the widespread use of independent rear suspensions and strut-supported front suspension.

Modern struts may also incorporate electrical features to allow the car control systems to alter the damping characteristics almost instantly.
    I have to replace 2 front struts on Cadillac DeVille 1994. I want to replace them by passive struts with relay (to remove the service ride control message). Do you know who manufacture passive struts ?
    Monroe ? Gabriel ? Delco ?

94_SDV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Deville 4.9 (Sold), 06 Mercedes-Benz R500 (Daily Driver)

Okay, I tried to wire a relay into my 94 DeVille 4.9 and I still get the "Service ride control" message on the display. Would anyone have a pic of the diagram I could look at to ensure I wired it correctly, as it appears I didn't. I followed the instructions on this thread explicitly.....Any suggestions?

DeeEldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado

Another Newbie trying to get some "expert" advice. We have a 1995 Eldo
    with the "Service Ride Control" message on.
    Our mechanic, has traced it down to a bad "height sensor" on the rear
    driver side. He checked, and found the part is not made anymore, but I found a Caddy GM part vendor online in Texas, that shows they have one.
    My question really is, where have others with this 95' Eldo problem found a replacement part? We are told the 95' is not compatible with earlier models.
    Best regards,
    DeeEldo

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    FYI the above procedure worked like a charm on our 94 Deville with 4.9. There is no need to get the GM parts listed above. I got a $4 generic relay at the parts store and it worked great. It is very easy to do this install. It took me about 15 minutes. Here are more details in case anyone is interested:

Parts needed: generic relay (most have the same numbers as in the above directions: 85,86,87a, 30) . The relays are on the shelf near the fuses at most parts stores. Some quarter inch female terminals, a couple of feet of 16 or 18 gauge wire, two splice doohickeys for tapping into wires without having to cut them. A couple of small wire nuts.

1. Locate the module in the right rear compartment of trunk.
    2. Locate three wires: Red (circuit 370) I think this is C15 on the plug, Brwn 12 V ( C16)this is near the red wire and black ground (D15) is also near the red wire. The shop manual 800-43-14 shows the diagram with the correct labels.
    3. Wire the relay as described above. you only need to cut one wire, the red one. The black and brown can be tapped without cutting.
    4. After wiring is done you can attach the relay to the board with a small screw, there are several locations for doing this.

That is it. All this does is force a polarity reverse for the red IPC circuit. When the module tries to ground the red wire to send the SRC message, this relay is energized and forces an open circuit. I wish we had done this 3 years ago. It is so nice to not see that annoying message, no more having to push the information button!
    Hi, My name is Alain Simard and I live in Quebec city, Canada. I have a Cadillac Deville 1994 and I would like to change my front struts by a passive struts solution with relay and connector. I buyed from Cadillac in Chicago a pair of front struts ACDELCO with relay. I'm not sure that I undersand very well how to connect the relay. I read from Cadillac Owner's your message. I understand that I have to connect the relay to SPEED SENSITIVE SUSPENSION MODULE locate in the trunk. I have the electric plan in hand. I understand the first 3 steps of the procedure connection :
    1. Locate and cut circuit 370 (red) 2- Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to PIN 87A of the relay 3- Attach the module side of the circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay. For the 2 others steps, I'm not sure : Does 'Run a ground wire to relay pin 30' means attach PIN 30 of the relay to the C16 (brown wire) and Does 'Run a wired from switched ignition (Hot in run) source to relay pin 85' means attach pin 85 to the D15 (black wire) ? I'm not sure because I'm a french Canadian and I live in a french world. Thank for your help.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

This is how I did mine.....

The module you are looking for is mounted on the rear seat support, lower right, right of module marked Bosch, lower right side, accessible from the trunk. It is about 5" X 4" with a connector on the bottom.

Following the instructions previously posted, you will identify which pin numbers on the relay correspond to which wires on the connector/socket. The relay is plainly marked as to pin identity. The socket has extra connections for other uses so just strip the ends of the wires you will be using. Making a little flag out of tape to mark the wires with the correct pin number helps to keep things straight.

You will find the pink wire coming out of the connector on the module. Cut it at a convenient place. You will wire pin 86 from the relay to the section of pink wire going to the module. You will wire pin 87A of the relay to the other section of pink wire.

You will locate the solid brown wire and splice the wire from pin 85 of the relay into it.

You will run the wire from pin 30 from the relay to a good ground. I used on of the bolts holding the Bosch module to the seat support.

That should do it.

When I did mine I soldered the connections and used shrink tubing and it has held fine for about 8 or 10 years.

FWIW
    YMMV
    sydns and sydns like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.