1990 Sedan Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 1990 Sedan Deville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The other day I was driving my Cadillac, when I discovered, the brake pedal felt like I was trying to ...
    Cadillactodd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 1990 Sedan Deville

The other day I was driving my Cadillac, when I discovered, the brake pedal felt like I was trying to push down on a rock... I have to apply 50 times the normal amount of pressure in order to stop my vehicle. I am assuming it has something to do with the power brake booster. Could someone give me some ideas on how to diagnose this problem and/or any quick and easy sloutions? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: 1990 Sedan Deville

Check to make sure that it is still getting vacuum. While the car is running, pull off the connector plugged into the brake booster on the firewall. make sure that there is strong vacuum at the check valve at the end of the hose.

It does not seem to have a vaccuum assist type system... is that possible?

It's possible, but those systems are kind of rare. I'm not exactly sure if your car has one though. Do you see the large round booster behind the master cylinder?

That's what threw me for a loop... there is no big round booster attaching to the firewall like I have seen in so many other cars. I wish mine was a 68 it would be fixed all ready.

Hmm. given that i do not know specifically what your car has, I DO know that GM used 2 other braking systems, electric and Hydra-boost. Out of those two, you likely would have the Hydra-boost, which uses hydraluic pressure from the power steering pump to provide braking assist. Look for hydraluic lines that are noticably larger than brake lines running by the master cylinder. This system is generally used on vans and other vehicles where space is a concern. The other is electric. This system was used on vehicles that do not have vacuum of any sort, namely turbo Buicks. There may be a third possibility, and that is the Bosch system. I do not know a thing about this setup, except it has very weird service procedures and is extremely picky about them. Maybe someone else can chime in?

poodad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem. your brake light and ABS light are on iam assuming. its either the master cylinder or the ABS pump motor.

see.. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...c/20848-1.html

and.. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...c/36031-1.html

I took my car to Midas and they want $2158.97 to replace the master cylinder they diagnosed OHH did i laugh at them. I will replace the master cylinder and see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.