$3000 for rear struts?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, $3000 for rear struts????? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i noticed that whenever i had ppl in the back of my car or stuff in the trunk the back ...
    Polski Polak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville SLS

$3000 for rear struts?????

i noticed that whenever i had ppl in the back of my car or stuff in the trunk the back would drop according to the weight of the load and i knew something had to be done and i took it in to midas and got an estimate for $3000 to replace the rear struts and one of my lines that are connected to the compressor were
    broken, is $3000 an obsurd price it seems to me to be alot??? i have to call my local cadillac dealer and see how much the would charge b/c i feel like i have been ripped off. thanks for the input

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sjwoodruff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: $3000 for rear struts?????

Three grand is absurd. The rear SHOCKS on your SLS have electronic air-leveling. A couple things could be happening here.

1) Shocks are worn. If your car is over 100K, at that age, this is likely the case. Replacing the active shocks will make you cry. They are ridiculously expensive because they are used in such small quantities - very car specific. Goto www.rockauto.com and look at the rear shock options. You'll see some prices. Get the GM part # there if they list it (probably an 8 digit number beginning with an 8) and goto www.gmpartsdirect.com and see what their price is. You're probably looking at about $800-$900 for the pair. I recommend looking into passive shock replacement. Again, using Rock auto's site, I suggest looking at the AC/Delco passive shock options. A lot less money, probably less than $100 for the pair from GM parts direct. Install these yourself, or pay a local suspension place a little $$ to install. The ride won't be exactly the same, but you won't bottom out any more.

2) Bad leveling unit - Try this. Get in the car and turn the key to the accesory position. Can you hear the leveling unit pumping up the rear shocks? If so, the unit is most likely working. If not, you might need that looked at. Sometimes the head unit is all that is bad and that is not an expensive fix, or so I hear.

Good luck...

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a 1996 SLS and she has about 80k miles, and yesterday i called my cadillac dealer and a quote for $900 a piece for the rear shock. when i asked midas their wanted $1300 a piece who ever heard of a dealer being less than a backyard mechanic??? WTF

What exactly is the passive system??? i have heard about it, but dont know too much (anything) about it. Would it totally replace the air/electronic system that i currently have? Is it made as plug and play??? i also have seen in other threads that ppl have problems with some errors when installing is this true? thanks alot for the advice

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Polski Polak
    Thanks for the advice, I actually have a 1996 SLS and she has about 80k miles, and yesterday i called my cadillac dealer and a quote for $900 a piece for the rear shock. when i asked midas their wanted $1300 a piece who ever heard of a dealer being less than a backyard mechanic??? WTF

What exactly is the passive system??? i have heard about it, but dont know too much (anything) about it. Would it totally replace the air/electronic system that i currently have? Is it made as plug and play??? i also have seen in other threads that ppl have problems with some errors when installing is this true? thanks alot for the advice
    Here's the best advice so far: Stay the @%(# away from Midas unless it's the last shop left on Earth. Same goes for Iffy Lube and Liarstone. They quoted you a ridiculous price because they don't want the job. They don't know how to do it, and they're telling you that without actually saying it. I have nothing good to say about any of those places for any repair or maintenance work anyway, so I'm taking the opportunity to vent. Your pocketbook and your car will thank you for staying away from all of them.
    Mike

thanks for the input i think i will stay away from them all and i never thought of it that way but it seems true the hell w/ midas !!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.