2000 STS Rough Ride/Resistance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 2000 STS Rough Ride/Resistance in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello, fellow Caddy fans... I've got a 2000 STS that I love dearly. It is my daily driver, but being ...
    JMKinney75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2000 STS Rough Ride/Resistance

Hello, fellow Caddy fans...

I've got a 2000 STS that I love dearly. It is my daily driver, but being 15 years old, it's getting a bit delicate.

Lately (past few months) I've noticed a ride issue that seems to directly correspond with the wheel speed. When rolling on a smoothe, level surface, it feels (& sounds) like I'm rolling on knobby, all-terrain tires. Beyond that, the car seems to be battling some rolling resistance. It's hard to quantify, but I can tell that something is impeding my car's ability to coast freely.

My tires are not a matching set, but they are the correct size, and I've been keeping the air pressure consistent.

I don't believe it's a transmission issue, because the fluid is clean, not "burnt," and the issue exists even when rolling in neutral.

It just feels like I'm riding on off-road tires. I'm a little puzzled. Due to budget constraints, I'm doing all I can to diagnose/repair as much as I can on my own.

Has anybody else out there experienced this issue? Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Does it sound line the tires are growling? Wheel bearings make that sound when they fail. Does the sound change as you turn at speed?

MoistCabbage, yes, it seems to diminish when turning to the right. Would that indicate a suspect bearing on the left?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Actually, it would point to a bearing on the (front) right. When you turn right, the weight transfers to the left, and the right bearing is unloaded.

You're correct. Maybe I'm still getting "left & right" figured out! Heh heh heh...

I just researched swapping the hub assembly, and it doesn't look too difficult. Have you ever done it? Any tricky spots to consider?

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2000 STS Rough Ride/Resistance

Quote Originally Posted by JMKinney75 View Post
    You're correct. Maybe I'm still getting "left & right" figured out! Heh heh heh...

I just researched swapping the hub assembly, and it doesn't look too difficult. Have you ever done it? Any tricky spots to consider?
    ===========================
    get the car off the ground -
    hold the wheel/tire at 12:00 and 6:00 positions - (top and bottom_ -
    gently wiggle it - ANY movement at all indicates worn bearings -

nothing "tricky" about it -
    EXCEPT that they might be rusted in place -

be sure to only use TIMKEN or ACDELCO hubs -
    or you WILL be replacing them again - soon -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.