Brake upgrade for 2004 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Brake upgrade for 2004 SLS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, I'm about to pick up a 2004 SLS in a few weeks and it's gonna need a brake ...
    itschrome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

Brake upgrade for 2004 SLS

Hey guys,

I'm about to pick up a 2004 SLS in a few weeks and it's gonna need a brake job more or less when i get it. I'd like to go better than OEM if possible and have been eye balling a kit over at Rock auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...304&cc=1423864 thats got Red Powder Performance Caliper Kit; Incl. XDrilled & Slotted Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Pads. the calipers seem to just be referbed stock ones. Does any one here run these or has any one heard of any one running these?

I'd also appreciate any input on alternative choices. Tried doing a forum search but that thing is kind of useless. Thanks for the feed back guys!

edit: Also suggestions for the rear? I believe those have the pad wear sensors? don't think the fronts do...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Brake upgrade for 2004 SLS

An SLS (economy cruiser) is just fine with stock brakes........... but if you have the hots, the original calipers will support better discs/pads.

Take a look at the EBC Redstuff ceramic pads and Ultimax Black Dash slotted rotors in www.placeforbrakes.com (Use the rolling discount banner)

Remember - the more slots and holes you drill into a rotor, the less braking surface you have..........

Here's the start of the job I did on my STS 3 years ago. Perfecto - strong, glass smooth, no dust, quiet - AFTER BREAK-IN !!! The pistons on the original rear calipers screw back into the caliper - you can NOT compress them with a clamp.

All 4 wheels have pad wear sensors. If you're a conscientious (maintenance) owner you can remove the wear sensors and jumper the chassis connectors - the front wear spring fingers will give you plenty of advance warning ..........

Yeah I know the SLS is not meant to be performance, I just always enjoy a higher level a breaking. ESP since I have an awful commute on a highway the frequently suffers sudden stops. Honestly we have the worst drivers ever in this town. But I digress, my point is some extra stopping power is welcome, also the stock get super dusty so I'd like to get that under control.

----------

hmm, those look pretty good. those even come as the stage 4 kit. so I can get them at a discounted price.. hmmm. little more than I wanted to budget but might be where I'm going with this. What if I wanted to drop it down a level while still going better than stock? any in between recommendations?

Look in RockAuto - at the AC Delco upscale rotors and ceramic pads.

Factor in shipping - 73 pounds of cast iron isn't cheap to UPS. (One reason for PlaceForBrakes - free shipping).

right on. Now I was just looking at the EBC stuff. the red say for sport/race and the green is sport/street. You run the red on the STS as a daily driver? any issue with them as far as fad or requiring warm up? I don't want to sacrifice daily driving ability but I do want more stopping power. I like what I'm reading about the red just would appreciate maybe some real world background with them. I live in the land of ice and snow up in the northeast do these require much warm up to be effective and thus suffer further in the cold?

----------

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to make the best choice I can. I've owned a few of these cars but never bothered to go beyond stock as I was always short on cash. i finally have the income to allow me to own one of these and properly care for it, and do a few upgrades where I can on stuff that has always bugged me. the number one issue being the OEM brakes.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Sub, me, and a few other members run RedStuff pads and Ultimax slotted rotors. Great brakes, definitely no need to warm them up.

Well alright then. budget for them I shall. I've read a bunch of your STS threads and I'll count you as much as sub as reliable! Again I know what my car is vs your STS but in the end I prefer the SLS over the STS for several reason. Such as the MPG and comfortable ride. but a few thing need to change for me to be happy. Other than brakes it's pretty much just aesthetic's. I want to go slightly larger on the wheels as the 16's look way to small in that wheel well, I'm also going to grab that corsa exhaust. I love the sound of the northstar and wouldn't mind enjoying it a bit more. could care less about any actual performance gained as the car is perfect in that regards for me as is, minus the brakes.

So ok then I'm sold I'll go that route I'll budget the stage 4 kit(front and rear) in and go from there. Thanks guys!

I'll second the Redstuff not needing warmup - but be ready for an agonizing 100 - 200 miles of dedicated break-in. The pads are diamond hard and that "BrakeIn" coating is used to burnish the rotors - but while doing it, it will curl your hair. I figured I'd do it over a week or so, but the first day, 10 miles of shudder and screech convinced me - I put Karen in the car and we went to the boonies for (car) fun & games and a decent lunch break. 180 miles in one day, playing with brakes. Happy camper at 7 PM, though.

EBC has changed their pad descriptions somewhat from 3 years ago - don't sweat it. They're all good brakes, and NOT cheap, so be damn sure before you fork over the money. I had some experience and advice background as several members of the Kent Island Cruisers (our car club) run EBC products.

Are you aware that slotted, drilled, drilled/slotted rotors make varying amounts of air noise when coming down - quickly - from high speed ? The slotted ones make a very satisfying whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from 120 down

Here's something else to budget for - brake fluid LOVES water (it's hygroscopic) - so plan on coughing up some bucks to have a GOOD shop do a complete brake fluid exchange. Everyone else will kill me, but every 5 years is not TOO often to do a fluid change.

Sweet, I'm, always looking for an excuse to burn a tank and go for a cruise. hahaha Whats the recommended wear in for these? any thing special or just drive and brake as needed?

Oooh, I do enjoy new and exciting noise, but I dont not believe A: I'd ever drive mine that fast and B: aren't the SLS's governed at 105? 90/95 is the most I'll ever try to get away with. I've gotten in some trouble for speed so I try to be a good boy when I can.

As for the brake fluids, what would you recommend with these? My shop will do what ever I ask, do it well. they don't even charge an surcharge when I bring my own parts. just labor. good guys! But you got me sold on these brakes, so sell me some fluid.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Dot 3 brake fluid, whatever brand. I use Prestone.

ok yeah, figured it didn't matter much as long I went with the recommended type. Thanks again guys! I can't wait to get the old girl once her current owners new car gets delivered! It's going to be a long couple of weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by itschrome View Post
    Sweet, I'm, always looking for an excuse to burn a tank and go for a cruise. hahaha Whats the recommended wear in for these? any thing special or just drive and brake as needed?
    Read through the EBC site and some of the links in it - www.ebcbrakes.com - the U.S. section of the site. EBC is a British company - they put out a lot of good info and don't add a lot of self-serving bias to the text. Find the YouTube of the brake rotor lathe that matches the rotor surface to your car and each hub - ON the car.

There is a specific set of break-in procedures - the closer you can follow them the happier you'll be.

Also surf through the StopTech site - more brake info and myths dispelled.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.