Broken Lugs and Studs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Broken Lugs and Studs in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    Tony's STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Red face Broken Lugs and Studs

I was comin home from work today,..Typically a 45min ride, however being that itís a long weekend I was planning on breaking a record,...

When I finally pulled onto my street I started to hear a clanging sound from the right front tire. I removed the center cap to show that I broke two wheel studs instead,.....I know I am an idiot but if some of you guys could please advise me on how difficult this job is for I have to get on it first thing in the AM.

Can I find these parts at any AutoZone or Napa? Also,..is there anything specific I should be looking out for as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

95 STS 98,000

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Broken Lugs and Studs

I just recently, broke a wheel stud, on my Caddy, and, my wife's Infiniti, in the same day. You can get the wheel studs at any auto parts store. To change them, just hammer the broken ones out, remove the brake components (caliper, rotor, caliper bracket), install the new stud from behind the hub, use a few flat washers, and a lug nut, and turn the new stud in. You will most likely have to use more force to get the studs in, than would be used to torque thw lug nuts to install your wheels. the important part, is to get the wheel stud completely seated. Just look behind the hub, and see that the shoulder on the new stud, is flat against the hub.

Don

Thanks Don for your quick response,...Hey, should I check the other wheels while I am at it?? I mean if this happend on one wheel is it MORE likely to happen on the others??

Thanks Again!!!

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Tony, who put your lug nuts on last? I doubt that the lug was properly torsioned, and probably way too tight. I have seen a lot of shops nowadays stop using their torque sticks for their impact guns, and this would be a plausible cause for your problem.

Krashed,..I agree completely, however I only have had the car for a few months now and never have had to remove the tires,....ofcourse until now!

Ok well I am off to my father-in-law's shop,...they are closed this weeked so I will have the place to myself!! I will let ya know if I run into any problems.

Thanks Again!

walterroc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado

I have to replace three studs on right front wheel hub. I have removed the broken studs (had to hammer the s""t out of them" There does not appear to be enough clearance behind the hub to install the new ones. Anyone have a tip on installing the studs. Would like to avoid removing the hub as I think I would have to replace the speed sensor.

No need to remove the hub. You may have to rotate it, but there is clearance there. I am not sure of your year, but some hubs, have round access holes in them, specifically for this purpose.

Don

Thanks for the reply.1998 Eldorado. I'm working on it right now just took a coffee break. I have it up and have rotated the hub to several positions but no luck. It looks like it isclose when rotated to the right between 2 and 4 o'clock. Just need about a 16th. Have a call into friend I'm thinking about grinding the casting about a 16th. It looks pretty heavy duty. If you have a suggestion I would appreciate it. Thanks

Are the new studs the stock length? Maybe they are slightly longer, which may cause an issue. I have never had a problem changing the studs. This is strange.

Don

You do have the caliper mounting bracket off of the spindle, right? That must be removed to get the new studs in.

Don

I have the brake rotor and caliper off.When you say caliper mounting bracked I think you mean the assy that retains the disc pads. The casting that the caliper is mounted to is attached to the strut/spring assemby and the bottom of it is around the drive axel or cv joint. and the tie rods are attached to it. Maybe I'm missing something. The lug bolt is actually slightly shorter as it does not have the 1/4" unthreaded tip. This is a 98 Eldorado right front maybe it is a little different. If i am incorrect regarding the caliper mounting bracket please let me know. Thanks

I think it would be a lot easier for you if you take the whole hub and bearing assembly off of the spindle and work on it at a table or something.

I think your right about removing the hub. Is the wheel nut a 1 3/8 socket or is it metric. Also do I have to mess with the speed sensor. Somehow I thought if you remove the hub it is affected. Thanks

Aside from unplugging the sensor, no. It is a part of the hub assembly.

I have no idea about the size because I never remember the sizes. I just go with whatever fits better.

Thanks Glad I in a garage Snow to-night 28deg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.