Proportioning Valve
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Proportioning Valve in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I lost a rotor and replaced the pads, rotor and checked everything else to be sure everything worked as expected. ...
    BenTwombly is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Proportioning Valve

I lost a rotor and replaced the pads, rotor and checked everything else to be sure everything worked as expected. The brakes work fine on both slow easy braking and hard aggressive braking. One problem, the brake light stays on. I believe it to be the proportioning valve. I found it but I haven't a clue how to return it to the middle.

In an attempt to balance the valve, I depressed both front caliper pistons to "reset" the fluid but the light stayed on.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Proportioning Valve

I noticed someone wrote that the proportioning valve is LEFT to RIGHT instead of FRONT to BACK. Is this correct? If so, than if I compress the left side caliper pistons then will it reset the valve?

What is standard procedure here. I can't imagine I need to repalce this. Please advise. Thank you.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I am not positive but I think it is front and rear. I also do not believe that the proportioning valve will set the brake light. Check the parking brake to be sure it is all the way up in the disengaged position. Also check the brake fluid level and the level sensor.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

sometimes the sensor will get stuck, so you can try fiddling with the sensor.. pretty common problem on a lot of cars....

Dang I 'h sure feel dumb ...
    Yep, you were right, it was the sensor. While running and the brake light on I fiddled around by the break release catch ran-dumb-ly ... and the light went out. What a relief (I already had the left rear wheel off as was getting ready to depress the piston). I sprayed WD-40 all around up there. It sets and releases like a champ, and the light goes out like it should. THANKS. You guys are great. --Ben

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I *love* the easy problems!!! Back on my first Q45 things would often fix themselves... the self fixing car, i think thatd be a nice option to specify!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.