cleaning dunlops??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, cleaning dunlops?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Alrighty. When I got my DeVille, it had Good Years on the rear and crappy Grand-Am tires on the front. ...
    cruella89deville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

cleaning dunlops??

Alrighty. When I got my DeVille, it had Good Years on the rear and crappy Grand-Am tires on the front. They were both white walls. When I got it, they were obviously never cleaned. So when I scrubbed them and used the Bleach-White on them they were good as new. The stripes were very white. I then got some new dunlops upfront. They're white walls too. At first, the blue stuff was impossible to get off. After that, the white walls are now sorta tinted tan-ish. right after you scrub them they're fine...but after they dry they turn tan. Even after I spray on my tire shine, they're still tan. My dad suggested to use a wire brush on them...but when I tried, it felt as if I'd rip the coloring off completely...so I never bothered.

HELP!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: cleaning dunlops??

I have never run whitewalls. Raised white letters is the closest I've come. Always came clean with a household cleaner and scrub brush.

I'll bet Tirerack.com could help you if you talked to them. Maybe the place you bought them from could help you. If it were me, and I wasn't satisfied, I'd tell the shop to replace them.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I got two words for you: Brill O. Brillo is one of the best tire cleaners around. The steel wool is very fine, and will not leave scratches. But all of the dirt will go away.

Major tip. Do not, I repeat, do not, use the same bucket of wash water, that was used with the Brillo, to finish washing your car. The soap in the Brillo, will stain your paint. I had this happen many years ago, on a black pick up truck.

Don

I did that after the scrub brush. Like, I sprayed on Bleach-White a few times then scrubbed. It got the blue shit off. but there was this tan-ish tint instead of a white. After I scrubbed them again it was white for a few minutes then it went back...

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

SOS pad

Did that - again.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Hmmm...kind of a shot in the dark here, but what about a buffer? And by that I mean the buffer pads or whatever you want to call them that you can get that will go on a drill. I know it doesn't sound ideal, but maybe it's worth a shot. Paired with a good cleaning substance (And you will want to try everythign you can think of) it may work. Maybe you should try something like PB Blaster or Sea Foam. One of those "rust eater" products. Once again, all just kind of random thoughts...things I would try if I had your problem. Hope you get it solved!

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Have you considered that Dunlop might be using a tanish white rubber for their whitewalls? If you have all 4 of the same tires, you won't notice it. But if you have 2 different brands, it will show up.

And no amount of scrubbing will make any difference. To check that, take a pair of cutters or a sharp knife and take a thin piece of the whitewall rubber off the tire. Just a bit. Not enough to cause damage. If the rubber is still tan, then you are SOL.
    If the rubber is whiter under the top layer, then you should be able to get it whiter by scrubbing it.

Peteski

bigcaddad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The Bridgestones on my 87 have the same tan yellowish/tan tint. Havent been able to get rid of it. Luckily the color of the cadi is similar.

jon s is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have Dunlop SP40s on my Town Car and they get nice and white with Bleach white and Brillo. They do get less white within 7 days which I'm told is caused by the oils in the rubber penetrating through. Firestones and Goodyears seem to stay white longer; Michelins shorter.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Hmmm, maybe you're just washing it too much and it has worn down to the black rubber. If so, I would try spray paint, vinyl dye or... a couple gallons of whte out lol

Vinyl dye would probably be your best bet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.