No Anti Lock
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, No Anti Lock in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1993 Sedan deVille that I just recently purchased. The car has 77,000 miles on it and has ...
    87BuickGN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81, Seville, 84 Eldorado, 93 Sedan deVille, 03 Seville

No Anti Lock

I have a 1993 Sedan deVille that I just recently purchased. The car has 77,000 miles on it and has been garaged but serviced regularly for the last ten years approximately.

I have noticed that the Anti-Lock light on the dash does not come on during bulb check. I believe that the car does have anti-lock brakes because of the trim on the brake pedal and the fluid reservoir of this generation would indicate that the car does have anti-lock brakes. I have checked visually and with an ohm meter all fuses pertaining to the system including fuses under the dash and in the maxi center under the hood are in good working order.

While it is summer now and I don't need the anti-lock brakes right now I would like them if the car has them before winter. While this could be a bulb burnt out I am highly doubting it and would like something easier to check rather than to disassemble the entire instrument cluster to find that the bulb is good.

Anyone have any other ideas what I can look for and how to do it. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: No Anti Lock

Quote Originally Posted by 87BuickGN View Post
    I have a 1993 Sedan deVille that I just recently purchased. The car has 77,000 miles on it and has been garaged but serviced regularly for the last ten years approximately.

I have noticed that the Anti-Lock light on the dash does not come on during bulb check. I believe that the car does have anti-lock brakes because of the trim on the brake pedal and the fluid reservoir of this generation would indicate that the car does have anti-lock brakes. I have checked visually and with an ohm meter all fuses pertaining to the system including fuses under the dash and in the maxi center under the hood are in good working order.

While it is summer now and I don't need the anti-lock brakes right now I would like them if the car has them before winter. While this could be a bulb burnt out I am highly doubting it and would like something easier to check rather than to disassemble the entire instrument cluster to find that the bulb is good.

Anyone have any other ideas what I can look for and how to do it. Thanks in advance.
    -------------------------
    probably the best way to verify what system you have -
    check the RPO - Regular Production Options - sticker -
    it is on the underside of the spare tire cover -
    it lists ALL the options installed on the vehicle when it left the factory -

JM4 = BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, FRT DISC, RR DRUM, CAST IRON, ANTILOCK, FRT &RR WHL

J41 = BRAKE SYSTEM HEAVY DUTY

J55 = BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, FRT DISC, RR DRUM, CAST IRON

here is the RPO decoder -
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/

-----------------------

dash brake warning lights are discussed starting on page 120 of the Owners Manual -

if you don't have the Owners Manual - or would like a copy for your computer -
    go here - for a free download -
    http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/c...wners-manuals/

if you DO have ABS - and no ABS light on the instrument panel on start-up -
    the bulb might be burned out -

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: No Anti Lock

Before I'd do all that, I would get up to 30 MPH and slam on the brakes with both feet. Do they pulsate as anti lock brakes should. And does the car stop straight?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.