Tire pressure sensor info needed...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Tire pressure sensor info needed... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Is it easy to change the sensors from one rim to another? So far two tire shops have turned me ...
    Quadrasteer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Tire pressure sensor info needed...

Is it easy to change the sensors from one rim to another? So far two tire shops have turned me down and told me that the dealer needs to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Tire pressure sensor info needed...

Those tire shops did you a favor by "sort of" admitting they couldn't do it. Word has not yet reached all tire shops on the proper technique for GM's sensors.

A short course on dismounting is; pull valve core, remove nut from valve stem, push stem inside the tire, before using a bead-breaker.

Remounting requires putting both tire beads on the rim before installing the stem (with a new grommet); not a fun job the first time you do it. Install stem mounting nut with 35 lb.-in. torque.

Be to use the original valve core, or a GM specific replacement; they are nickel plated. And also use the original aluminum stem cap as the aluminum construction forms part of the sensor's antenna.

If the wheel is installed in a different location on the car, you will have to re-set the RKE system so it can learn the new positions.

Or, take it to a Cadillac dealer....

Quadrasteer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry for the late reply. I've gone into three dealerships and asked about the grommets. They looked at me like I had two heads (I don't). Is it absolutely necessary to use a new grommet? What makes it so hard to put a new grommet on? Do you lube them with rubber lube first? I'm going to have the old tire dismounted, remove the sensor myself, install it on the new rim and have the tire shop mount the new tire. I've gotten three $$ so far $120., $70. and $42. all from dealers. Thanks for the info.
    PS: I did find the grommets, about $2.50 a piece.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Good news about the grommet; was that from a GM dealer?, or? part number?

I did some checks with web based GM parts houses and found the sensor is either not available or priced at approx. $52.00 plus shipping. Part #25774006.

Hope you are ready to rock and roll now....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.