Rear End jump and veers, what to check?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Rear End jump and veers, what to check? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1996 deville base, when I hit certain bumps, the rear of the car shoots to the right, ...
    ragsled is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rear End jump and veers, what to check?

I have a 1996 deville base, when I hit certain bumps, the rear of the car shoots to the right, which makes the front go left. Kinda scary sometimes. What should I look at? Bushings, struts, bearings, anything jump to mind? There doesn't seem to be any sounds associated with this, it just veers. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Rear End jump and veers, what to check?

Sway bars. Take a rubber malet to the ends of both the front and rear ones to see if they make a knocking noise. The noise means that the end links are bad if you hear it. They are the only thing I can think of at the moment that would cause that sort of thing.

bschelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS 1999 Deville 1991 Eldorado

I would also suspect it might be the rear shocks. My 99 Deville would jump upon hitting road bumps. I changed the rear shocks and all is well!

cadi197 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

IF it is the same problem as I had, it is neither of the last two post. I had the exact same problem, took it to a local shop and the showed me what the problem was. In the rear, since it is Independent Suspension, We have what is called rear knuckles. These knuckles connect the upper and lower control arms. Where these bolt up to the control arms, the knuckles have bushings that are pressed into the ends of them. These bushings wear out and need replaced. Now here is the kicker, whomever made those for cadillac never made replacement bushings, you must replace the whole damn knuckle and there is no aftermarket parts available. I went to my local Caddy dealer, they wanted $411 per side and I needed to replace both sides. I did some research on the net and found some for $256 a piece from a Actual dealer......I think it was Brassiger or Brassinton. Good Luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.