91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I had my 91 Eldorado in the shop for rear brake pad replacement and rotors turned. When I drove it ...
    Eldo91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle

I had my 91 Eldorado in the shop for rear brake pad replacement and rotors turned. When I drove it home, there was a rattle coming from the rear wheels. I took the car back and the mechanic says the rear brake pads are rattling in the caliper, up and down, and making the noise. They ordered GM replacement pads, and the still the same rattle. Does anyone know of the solution to this problem? The car has 178000 miles on it, and when the pads were changed at 34000 miles, GM pads were used and there was no rattle.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Re: 91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle

Yeah I have had this exact problem. The only solution I know of it to keep replacing the calipers with GM parts -- aftermarket calipers in my experience only develop this problem more quickly.

I too would welcome any input/suggestions...

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Are you sure the caliper is securely bolted down?... A long time ago, I let my friend do my brakes for me. He didn't tighten the caliper down enough so it was rattling. I was lucky that the calipers didn't shear off of the bolts.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think there is a metal tab on the top & bottom of the pad if I recall correctly. It is bent at a 90 degree angle and it holds the pad in place. If it is there (I may be thinking of fronts or older models), with the pads in the caliper, use a hammer to pound the tabs down tighter.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

probably a loose caliper.
    nothing else is going to make it rattle if it isnt tightened down.

Hey Eldo 91:

I pulled my driver's side rear tire today to see if I could get a better understanding of what's going on with my (slight) rattle before I take it to the shop so I can talk with confidence and (try to!) avoid being bamboozled.

Here's what I found: the caliper housing definitely has some play within the caliper bracket. They're held together, as you may know, by two bushings (upper and lower) covered with little rubber boots. There seems to be more play with the upper bushing.

I plan to visit the shop later this week and see what they say; but any comments here on what might be causing this would be welcome. Is the housing (aftermarket, NOT GM) just a little out of spec, perhaps? (the caliper itself seems pretty secure)

Well I can't report any success -- the dealership "tackled" this problem today but their adjustment of the parking brake failed to correct the rattle. My adviser said the caliper was missing the anti-rattle clip, but told me the only fix avalable though them (a Cadillac dealer) was to replace the entire caliper housing, since they apparently don't/aren't willing to just install a clip! At that price I guess I'm willing to live with the rattle.

My next move may be to see if an independent repair shop can just add the clip!

AHHHH!!!!

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Do not use the parking brake system to try and get rid of the rattle. With newer replacement pads, there's a gap between the edges of the pads backing plate and the caliper brackets.That's where the rattle comes from. When you remove the caliper, you'll see the rub marks where the pads hit the bracket. If you close the gap up by any means, the rattle will disappear.

When I had a '91 Seville, the brakes really used to make a racket after the first time I replaced the rear pads. I tried different pads, no good. I replaced the caliper pins and bushings and still no good. I took a rubber mallet and started banging everything to see if I could reproduce the sound. When I got an idea of where it was centered, I took the caliper off and saw the rub marks. As an experiment, I took some JB Weld and smeared it on the rub marks on the bracket. When it was dry, I filed the stuff down so the pads would just fit without excess side movement. I put it all back together, took the car for a drive on a bumpy road and the rattle was completely gone.

After a couple of months, the rattle slowly started up again. I pulled the calipers off and you could see where the pads wore through the JB Weld. I took the brackets off and had a friend weld them up and grind down the weld so the pads fit in without the excessive play. The noise never came back while I still owned the car.

El Dobro:

Thanks very much for the detailed suggestion; I can see how that would be a good solution. Do you have any comments about the value/effectiveness of anti-rattle clips? Wouldn't they also eliminate the play?

Thanks!

Are they offered now? When I was screwing around with trying to stop the rattle, I asked at the auto parts store and they told me they didnt have anything. When I was into Corvettes, they used to have these soft plastic shims that would slide down the edge of the pads to keep them from rattling on the Stingrays, but I couldn't locate them anymore. They would have been perfect for a fix. The main thing is to keep the pads and the calipers from moving back and forth in the bracket, that's where the rattle comes from.

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

Companies like Bendix offer replacement or additional shims to quiet your brakes down. The caliper bracket gets worn over time, then the pads don't fit like they used to.

Back at the time, I tried three different auto parts stores and they couldn't help me with shims. I brought a pad and one of the brackets with me to show them what I was talking about, but no good. If they have them now, it would save a bit of machine wook. If I remember correcty, replacement brackets were quite pricey and there was no guarantee that they would have solved the problem. The rattle started after I replaced the original rear pads, so a spec must have changed.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Recently I replaced my front pads, and now I have this problem. I never had this problem before with generic pads but it seem that this certain brand that I got this time was crappy. The pad is definitely not a perfect fit... I'm not sure what the brand was as I threw the box away right afterwards. I think it was Car Quest, though I'm not sure.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

I have had the same problem right after rear pads, pins, bushings were replaced some two years 10.000 miles ago. The clunk from the rear right only got louder. When i pass a bump with brakes slightly applied there is no clunk.
    First I thought that it was loose caliper mounting bracket, but it was tight.

I think the problem is not new pads moving up and down inside the caliper(I might be wrong though). The clunk is too loud. I believe it is made by the caliper itself when it hits the bracket. I believe the nests for bushings inside the bracket got rusted and when i replaced th e rubber bushings I cleaned the rust out and as a result new bushings were kind of loose inside the nests. It could result in small play of mounting pins inside th ebracket. Even a 1/16" play is enough to make a quite loud clunk.

I do not see how shims can fix the problem. BTW, rockauto.com sells a lot of stuff including some shims (see the picture). Check them out. My front reman caliper came with metal clips which might help if the rear had the same. See the second picture (the bottom).

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

It looks like the inlet rear pad can move freely up and down inside the pistons retainer clip. But can that pad alone make that loud clunk? The other thing I would like to bring to your attention is that I have replaced the pads, bushings, pins on the both rear brakes at the same time. But only the right one makes that clunk. The only difference is that I replaced only the left rotor because th eright one looked good. Could it make difference? I am going to remove the both rear calipers and inspect everything again carefully. The parking brake definitely needs adjustment as well. I rarely use it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.