91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Look at the caliper bracket where the ends of the pads would hit them and you should see the wear ...
    El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 91 Eldorado rear brake pads rattle

Look at the caliper bracket where the ends of the pads would hit them and you should see the wear on the bracket. It doesn't take much for them to move around and start clunking. The noise comes from the caliper moving back and forth, not up and down and that little extra space allows it to happen.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
    Look at the caliper bracket where the ends of the pads would hit them and you should see the wear on the bracket. It doesn't take much for them to move around and start clunking. The noise comes from the caliper moving back and forth, not up and down and that little extra space allows it to happen.
    You mean when you hit a bump a caliper moves rather in the direction of caliper pins than up and down? What forces the caliper move like that?

HUF

UPDATE. I have finally disassembled both rear brakes. The right bracket had an evidence of a pad lining touching the bracket. Nothing major or worn out, just a shiny metal. Looks like a wrong grease was used when I replaced caliper pins, bushings two years ago. Never ask a store personnel what kind of stuff they wold recommend to use. They know nothing. The grease was so thick that the pins probably never moved, and they looked as if they were installed yesterday.The brake grease they gave me (green stuff) probably was rather petroleum based than silicon one I asked for. I removed the bushings, cleaned everything with alcohol, put back and lubricated with silicon brake grease. Put everything back, adjusted the parking brake, and bled whole system. The annoying clunk from right rear is gone. I do not know whether it will be back or not, but so far so good.

HUF

The clunk is back after some 100 miles.

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    The clunk is back after some 100 miles.
    Sorry to hear. That's too soon!

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    Sorry to hear. That's too soon!
    Well, at least I know it's pads hitting the bracket. But why only the right side?? The same set of new pads was installed on both sides. Whatever, I'll leave it alone since apparently nothing is going to fall apart. LOL Sure, it is annoying though.

HUF

I still think the clunk is rather caused with bad (too soft because of wrong grease) bushings inside of the caliper mount. An excessive play of the pins and as a result looseness of the caliper causes the latter to move up and down hitting the bracket with pads' linings. I'll probably buy a kit of bushings and install it some time in the Spring. I am done with repairs this year.

HUF

Have had this problem since replacing the original pads. Replaced all the bushings hoping it would help. NOPE! The only solution is installation of anti-rattle clips on the bracket. I bought FRONT LOADED caliper from A1-CARDONE and it came with lots of good stuff including those clips. Unfortunately I ordered reman REAR caliper made by A1-CARDONE UNLOADED... so no clips. Big mistake! Still have that annoying clunk over bumps despite brand new caliper, bushings, pads, rotor. ((( If someone knows where to buy the clips for rear brake brackets please let me know.

Thad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You can resolve all these brake rattles quite easily. There is a lot of good information posted but no simple or correct solution. I solved this on my 1991 Allante and the process is the same for the Eldo. If the pads move side to side in the caliper bracket, no brake hardware will make a difference. In my case, a careful inspection of the caliper brackets revealed gouges, etc. on the surface where the ends of the brake pade ride on the caliper bracket, aftermarket pads only makes things worse. The solution:

1. Genuine AC delco brake pads;
    2. New caliper brackets, I bought mine for $50 new from rock auto, also known as service brackets;
    3. A new brake hardware kit. I would install this kit everytime you change pads.

You will immediately see the difference. Your calipers will now feel tight, nothing will rattle and your brake pads will not wind up getting "hung up" in the grooves and small dents (from rattling around so long) in your existing caliper brackets. When you are finished, make sure you change out all the fluid starting at the resevoir, you just pushed a bunch of gunk into your system, when you installed the new pads and retracted the rear caliper piston. Wasn't that easy!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.