Proportioning valve?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Proportioning valve? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Does anyone know where I can get a new proportioning valve for my brake line. One of mine has sprung ...
    Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Proportioning valve?

Does anyone know where I can get a new proportioning valve for my brake line. One of mine has sprung a leak and I can't find a part number. I would call the stealer but I don't get a discount over there like I do at all the other auto part stores where I live. So does anyone know where I can get one for cheaper than dealer price?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: Proportioning valve?

I don't tink these cars have one because the 2 circuit system is not front/rear but diagonally across the car LF-RR and RF-LR.

Peteski

Could anybody Identify what the little aluminum block is with one line going in and one line going out. They are located on both rear brake lines. The one for the passenger side rear brake is the one that I'm dealing with. It's located where the line bends under the firewall to go back to the rear wheels. The one for the drivers side rear wheel is located just before the line goes into the rubber hose, above a peice of frame. They do not have any electrical connectors on them. I was told it was a dealer item, I called the dealer and they don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I could take a picture but not until sunday and it probably won't be up here until monday. I am a mechanic and I have never seen anything like it. I took it to my freinds who are mechanics, 9 of them, all either didn't know what it was or agreed with the one who said it was a proportioning valve.

Is it just a component used so they don't kink the line in a sharp bend? Is it a valve? Can I just run a line without the thing and without future problems?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Krashed,
    you might be correct here. If each line has one of those, they could be some sort of proportioning valves. They might be limiting pressure going to the rear brakes. Sorry that I'm not more help.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Peteski

niteryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX

I'm a newby with a 94 STS. I am currently experiencing problems with the R.R. brake. I installed new calliper/rotor/pads. Apply brakes and release, and the R.R. does not release. Crack the bleeder and it releases instantly. Advice to me has been anything from replacing the brake hose to replacing the proportioning valve. The only explanation I have heard is that the "p valve" is a pressure limiting valve.

Quote Originally Posted by niteryder
    I'm a newby with a 94 STS. I am currently experiencing problems with the R.R. brake. I installed new calliper/rotor/pads. Apply brakes and release, and the R.R. does not release. Crack the bleeder and it releases instantly. Advice to me has been anything from replacing the brake hose to replacing the proportioning valve. The only explanation I have heard is that the "p valve" is a pressure limiting valve.
    Either there is a kink in the line or the rubber hose is bad. The " p valve" itself looks like it just simply has a spring loaded diaphram inside to keep the line from overpressureizing. If its bad it will squirt brake fluid out when the brake is applied.

Here are some pictures. I couldn't get a good picture of the one I'm dealing with but this one is from the drivers side rear brake line. Sorry about the crappy quality of the pictures.
    Attached Images

It is a proportioning valve. Apparently the lady at the dealership misspelled the word and got no results. I'm happy now .

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by niteryder
    The proportioning valve can get stuck and hold pressure on one line. I had that problem on an '86 Olds Toronado I had. Messy problem. Anyway, replacing the valve is not a big chore, but you have to bleed the whole system when you're done. Have you ever done something like this, or will you take it somewhere? It's also possible the caliper piston is sticking on something internally. I had that happen on a car once also. When it releases, is it smooth, or does it jerk at first?
    Mike

I've done many brake jobs before... Mostly on other peoples cars though, where I work. Darn easy hondas and toyotas don't really prepare you for cadillac problems... On mine, the valve wasn't holding pressure on the caliper, at least i don't think it was anyway... It wasn't putting enough pressure to make the car pull to that side anyway. It would explain why I'm getting the warped rotor brake petal pulsation though.

It was just leaking out of the rubber plug looking thing. It's all done now. Did it in my driveway, took about 30min (mostly because I had to replace the lines going into it as well because the end connections were rusted). I still have the old one. I'm going to disect it out of curiosity. I only had to bleed the passenger side rear brake because I made sure that the master cylender was topped off the whole time so that no air could get into the other lines. I had no problems since, other than that pulsey petal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.