Largest Tires on a mid-80's Sedan DeVille?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Largest Tires on a mid-80's Sedan DeVille? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have an '86 SDV that still has the stock 205/75-14 tires/rims. I want to go to 16" wheels, but ...
    caddyman1986 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Question Largest Tires on a mid-80's Sedan DeVille?

I have an '86 SDV that still has the stock 205/75-14 tires/rims. I want to go to 16" wheels, but I also want to get the most rubber too. I.E. I don't want to go with the low profile 215/60-16 that is recommended by Tire Rack. I want the old school dookie tires we used to love in the 70's

My question is what is the largest tire anyone has used on a similar vehicle without any problems. I want to go with 16" wheels, but I'd like to hear from anyone with 15" or 17" too. Also, please let me know if you had to raise or lower the suspension to accomidate the tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Largest Tires on a mid-80's Sedan DeVille?

A 225-60-15 should fit..... Im not sure though......

92_Deville_on_20's is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Are you looking for rims and tires?

I sure you could go with 225-35-18 or maybe step up to 245-35-20. I have 20's on my car and love them. I have no probs what so ever. Prior to running 20's I had chrome 95 Eldorno wheels with 225-60-16 Michelens whitewalls tires.

If you plan to go big make sure your suspension is in good working order.

caddyman1986 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by 92_Deville_on_20's
    Are you looking for rims and tires?

I sure you could go with 225-35-18 or maybe step up to 245-35-20. I have 20's on my car and love them. I have no probs what so ever. Prior to running 20's I had chrome 95 Eldorno wheels with 225-60-16 Michelens whitewalls tires.

If you plan to go big make sure your suspension is in good working order.
    You're right, I do need to do the suspension work first. I know it needs rear shocks and springs, and I might as well replace the front shocks and check out everything else.

I am going to replace the rims and tires at the same time. Still have the 14" stock rims. I want to go with either 15" or 16", but I want tires with the tallest possible sidewall. I know, that's the opposite of what's fashionable these days, but I'm old-school. Going for the "balloon tire" look

I think what I'll do is get the suspension up to par, then measure the clearance with my stock rims/tires. I found a calculator on the web that will give you the total diameter and width based on the tire and wheel size. When I figure out what I can safely go with, I'll post my results, along with some other wheel/tire sizes that would be equivalent.

Thanks,
    Scott

92_Deville_on_20's is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by caddyman1986
    You're right, I do need to do the suspension work first. I know it needs rear shocks and springs, and I might as well replace the front shocks and check out everything else.

I am going to replace the rims and tires at the same time. Still have the 14" stock rims. I want to go with either 15" or 16", but I want tires with the tallest possible sidewall. I know, that's the opposite of what's fashionable these days, but I'm old-school. Going for the "balloon tire" look

I think what I'll do is get the suspension up to par, then measure the clearance with my stock rims/tires. I found a calculator on the web that will give you the total diameter and width based on the tire and wheel size. When I figure out what I can safely go with, I'll post my results, along with some other wheel/tire sizes that would be equivalent.

Thanks,
    Scott
    sounds like you have the right idea..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.