Went to the shop today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Went to the shop today in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I took my car to the shop today, to have them check it out. I told them my problems. They ...
    carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Went to the shop today

I took my car to the shop today, to have them check it out.

I told them my problems. They started running diagnostics, the RR a LR wheel speed sensors had a fault code. They span all the wheels while in diagnostics and all the wheels pulled some volts, that was ok.

They used a voltometer on one of the rear wheels, then searched for the ABS controller in the trunk. They said a computer that controls the braking might be malfunctioning, I dont know. They ruled out the idler arms, and most of the other suspension components. The tires werent removed.

So, Im thinking about going to another shop for a free brake inspection and just tell them, the car pulls to the left under hard braking, and the left wheel locks up.

So, I didnt learn anything new, I doubt a computer is causing the car to pull to the left. What should I do?

The rear brake lines are rusting to hell, they look like they could go any time. Im afraid to touch them. What should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadiman28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Deville

Re: Went to the shop today

Could the caliper be going bad and freezing up on you causing you to pull to the left? I know some mechanics drive the car around heat up the brakes and then measure the heat with a heat gun. If one is freezing up on you, it will get hotter than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by cadiman28
    Could the caliper be going bad and freezing up on you causing you to pull to the left? I know some mechanics drive the car around heat up the brakes and then measure the heat with a heat gun. If one is freezing up on you, it will get hotter than the others.
    Hmm, thats a good possibility, as its intermittent. How ever, on the interstate cruising for a few miles the other day, I had to apply the brakes hard because people were braking at 65 MPH for a tire that blew out, immediately front left tire starts lockup, but the brakes were cool.

I also discovered that the ABS will come on when the rear tire starts to spin, I was going to apply the brake today after the tire had start to spin and the brake pedal was already pulsating as I was hovering my foot over it.

I dont know whats normal any more.

ocjmakaveli is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by carguy16
    Hmm, thats a good possibility, as its intermittent. How ever, on the interstate cruising for a few miles the other day, I had to apply the brakes hard because people were braking at 65 MPH for a tire that blew out, immediately front left tire starts lockup, but the brakes were cool.

I also discovered that the ABS will come on when the rear tire starts to spin, I was going to apply the brake today after the tire had start to spin and the brake pedal was already pulsating as I was hovering my foot over it.

I dont know whats normal any more.
    another very common mistake people make are NEVER replacing the slide pins on the calipers which can cause uneven braking etc. probably on your last overhaul the mechanics didn't even think about replacing them.........

the FSM says to replace them each and every time but i only replace mine about every 2 years or when they rust etc.

but seeing as how all other parts of the underside of your car are rusting i definitely recommend replacing those pieces just buy them in sets of 2 for $3.99 at autozone you need 2 sets and all you need is a bit of brake grease to apply on the slide part before you put it on the caliper this will greatly help your braking if youve never replaced those slide pins.

though they don't usually rusting overtime they do accumulate crud/dirt which won't allow the caliper to move properly in order to brake at highest efficiency......the crud is not removeable just replace them

there are'nt many other causes of the brakes locking up besides the rotor/s being uneven.................

ocj, would these be the guide pins? When they redid the front brakes they said they were corroded so badly they werent worth using.

I need to take it to another shop to have a second opinion, I wont say I want a second opinion, I'll just say "Hey, my brakes pull the left when I brake, whats going on?"

I was suprised they didnt try to bleed the brakes, or attempt anything like that, they didnt even take the wheels off.

ocj, would these be the guide pins? When they redid the front brakes they said they were corroded so badly they werent worth using.

I need to take it to another shop to have a second opinion, I wont say I want a second opinion, I'll just say "Hey, my brakes pull the left when I brake, whats going on?"

I was suprised they didnt try to bleed the brakes, or attempt anything like that, they didnt even take the wheels off.
    well they had to take off the wheels to do the brake job

so your saying they did replace the guide pins/ slide pins?

only other possible causes are air in the brakes most likely the air would be in the front right caliper so your left caliper is the one doing most of the braking.

even a little bit of air can cause pulling so take it to a shop and get them bleed if your sure the pins are new these are the only 2 causes that cause pulling.......other but more odd things would be if one of the lines is plugged up then this can cause pulling also but this is a rare thing so check the basics first

Hmm, they did replace 1 steel line from the ABS pump to the front left wheel, both rubber brake lines were replaced in the front.

Both guide pins were replaced. But, what happened was they bled the right front wheel first, then started bleeding the left front wheel when the steel line burst from the ABS pump to the left front wheel. They then replace the entire line, and only bled the front left brake line. Yes, they did take the wheels off for that.

But, what i was saying when I went to the shop yesterday, they did not take the wheels off, they just ran diagnostics. But its not diagnostics, the computer has nothing to do with the car pulling to the left, am I missing some thing? Im not a mechanic, but that doesnt seem logical to me.

I will try and take it back tommorow or Friday and ask them to bleed the brakes, maybe I should take them for a road test while I drive so I can show them what its doing?

Hmm, they did replace 1 steel line from the ABS pump to the front left wheel, both rubber brake lines were replaced in the front.

Both guide pins were replaced. But, what happened was they bled the right front wheel first, then started bleeding the left front wheel when the steel line burst from the ABS pump to the left front wheel. They then replace the entire line, and only bled the front left brake line. Yes, they did take the wheels off for that.

But, what i was saying when I went to the shop yesterday, they did not take the wheels off, they just ran diagnostics. But its not diagnostics, the computer has nothing to do with the car pulling to the left, am I missing some thing? Im not a mechanic, but that doesnt seem logical to me.

I will try and take it back tommorow or Friday and ask them to bleed the brakes, maybe I should take them for a road test while I drive so I can show them what its doing?
    the average mechanic should know what pulling to the left is when concerning brakes usually it's not very difficult.......

I'm willing to bet there is some air in the brake system most likely on the right side sometimes its necessary to bleed the brakes a couple times and Sometimes you need to drive it a little then bleed again so that all of the air is out of the system i had to bleed my rear brakes 3 separate times because the pedal felt spongy when i did the rear disc conversion.....i bleed my brakes for about 15 minutes each time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.