Caliper Piston problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Caliper Piston problems in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm trying to change the brake pads on the rear of my '96 STS and I can not get the ...
    Woodinc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Caliper Piston problems

I'm trying to change the brake pads on the rear of my '96 STS and I can not get the piston pushed into the caliper, actually I can't get it to move at all. I've disconnected the brake line and removed the bleeder valve but nothing. The trouble is I can't get the old pads back on to take it to a mechanic. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

king of the road is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Caliper Piston problems

on many cars the caliper pistons have to be screwed back maybe this is the case with your car...youll need a special tool to do this which youll get from your local autostore, failing this your piston could be seized...leave it to soak in WD40..and try later

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

As stated, rear calipers, need to be screwed back in. Do not use a c-clamp to try and press the piston in, as you would a front caliper. Yoy will damage the caliper. I did not buy the special tool when i did my brakes. A pair of needle nose pliers worked like a charm. Just put the plier tips into the recesses, and turn clockwise, as you are viewing the piston. It takes a little effort to get it to begin turning, but after it starts, it turns very easily. Hopefully you haven't damaged the caliper. Good luck.

Don

Woodinc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the input guys. I talked to a friend and he told me they needed to be threaded in and not pressed. I ended up buying a tool for future use and to make sure I don't damage the caliper.

Thanks again for the help.

Todd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.