Your Opinion: New Brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Your Opinion: New Brakes in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; NON race application...Regular driver....deVILLE What is the best combination for a complete Front and Rear brake overhaul: Calipers, Rotors, Pads ...
    johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Your Opinion: New Brakes

NON race application...Regular driver....deVILLE

What is the best combination for a complete Front and Rear brake overhaul: Calipers, Rotors, Pads ?
    OEM or not OEM ?
    Cross drilled, sloted, vented, semi-metallic, ceramic.........the choices are mind boggling.

What is your opinion based on past experience ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

Re: Your Opinion: New Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by johnp
    NON race application...Regular driver....deVILLE

What is the best combination for a complete Front and Rear brake overhaul: Calipers, Rotors, Pads ?
    OEM or not OEM ?
    Cross drilled, sloted, vented, semi-metallic, ceramic.........the choices are mind boggling.

What is your opinion based on past experience ?
    On my 89 Sedan DeVille I have Raybestos rotors and semi-metallic pads. On my dad's 96 Eldorado I also used Raybestos roters and their ceramic brake pads and notices smoother stops and no vibrations with the ceramics (first time I use them). Hope that helps.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My mechanic tells me raybestos work well for his shop as they last a long time etc etc but its accomplished at the expense of being 'harder' (less compliant) than OEM pads.

(slotted/cross drilled etc....any time you cut out material from a thermally cycled part, dimesnional stabilty will be compromised)

Brakes (the combination of the rotors and the pads) can be a sensitive....experimenting with different makes may result in vibration, squeaky noises, or premature wear.....why be the guinea pig.

Although many non-OEM products seem to work fine, this is one area where I am especially loyal to OEM parts.

Highwayman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Although I'm not an expert on Caddy brakes I can tell you there is no benefit to "cross-drilled" rotors. They are supposed to dissipate heat faster than "solids" but all they do is compromise the structural integrity of the rotor. Its a gimmick.

I have never driven a car where even crappy OEM designed brakes couldn't be improved upon immensely simply by putting great aftermarket pads on it. Just don't go too extreme with racing pads....they will create too much dust, generate too much heat too fast, and wear out way too fast.

If your car is up there in age.....try replacing all the rubber brake hoses with OEM hoses as well. You will be very surprised.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on the cross drilled rotors for the fact that my car has never stopped better with this type of rotor. the original rotors were horrible and i'm glad that i did this cause i can stop so much better then the original rotors any day.

anyone on here with cross drilled or slotted rotors will agree with me that they help alot stopping our heavy ass vehicles.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

FWIW after 145,xxx miles on my '98 STS:

My brakes have been serviced several times (as expected) and OEM ACDelco parts used each time.

The OEM parts will invoke ABS intervention. For a "steet" car, what else do you need?

Showbiz is another deal.

bharner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i have to agree with 90devilleguy. i know my 92 deville stops on a dime now and I have crossdrilled rotors.

johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

90devilleguy,

What brand of rotors and pads did you use ?
    Did you keep the stock calipers?

jp

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    FWIW after 145,xxx miles on my '98 STS:

My brakes have been serviced several times (as expected) and OEM ACDelco parts used each time.
    I wouldn't call that a very good testimony for ACDElco. Why are your brakes needing so much service? Something wrong? My '99 is still on the original brakes and they are fine.

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

For an every day driver dont go with a harder racing pads, but i without a doubt have to agree with everyone who recommends the cross drilled...I am running SP Performance crossdrilled & slotted (i beat mine to death), with the stocks i could warp them in under 10k miles, so far the SP's have 72k on them and no problems.

abreeze is offline Cadillac Owners Member

power slot rotors fr w/ akebon ceramics. this is a good combo not to dusty, no noise more power than stock. sloted for the look!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.