Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  abreeze 
#1 ·
NON race application...Regular driver....deVILLE

What is the best combination for a complete Front and Rear brake overhaul: Calipers, Rotors, Pads ?
OEM or not OEM ?
Cross drilled, sloted, vented, semi-metallic, ceramic.........the choices are mind boggling.

What is your opinion based on past experience ?

#2 ·
johnp said:
NON race application...Regular driver....deVILLE

What is the best combination for a complete Front and Rear brake overhaul: Calipers, Rotors, Pads ?
OEM or not OEM ?
Cross drilled, sloted, vented, semi-metallic, ceramic.........the choices are mind boggling.

What is your opinion based on past experience ?
On my 89 Sedan DeVille I have Raybestos rotors and semi-metallic pads. On my dad's 96 Eldorado I also used Raybestos roters and their ceramic brake pads and notices smoother stops and no vibrations with the ceramics (first time I use them). Hope that helps.

#3 ·
My mechanic tells me raybestos work well for his shop as they last a long time etc etc but its accomplished at the expense of being 'harder' (less compliant) than OEM pads.

(slotted/cross drilled etc....any time you cut out material from a thermally cycled part, dimesnional stabilty will be compromised)

Brakes (the combination of the rotors and the pads) can be a sensitive....experimenting with different makes may result in vibration, squeaky noises, or premature wear.....why be the guinea pig.

Although many non-OEM products seem to work fine, this is one area where I am especially loyal to OEM parts.

#4 ·
Although I'm not an expert on Caddy brakes I can tell you there is no benefit to "cross-drilled" rotors. They are supposed to dissipate heat faster than "solids" but all they do is compromise the structural integrity of the rotor. Its a gimmick.

I have never driven a car where even crappy OEM designed brakes couldn't be improved upon immensely simply by putting great aftermarket pads on it. Just don't go too extreme with racing pads....they will create too much dust, generate too much heat too fast, and wear out way too fast.

If your car is up there in age.....try replacing all the rubber brake hoses with OEM hoses as well. You will be very surprised.

#5 ·
i'm gonna have to disagree with you on the cross drilled rotors for the fact that my car has never stopped better with this type of rotor. the original rotors were horrible and i'm glad that i did this cause i can stop so much better then the original rotors any day.

anyone on here with cross drilled or slotted rotors will agree with me that they help alot stopping our heavy ass vehicles.

#6 ·
FWIW after 145,xxx miles on my '98 STS:

My brakes have been serviced several times (as expected) and OEM ACDelco parts used each time.

The OEM parts will invoke ABS intervention. For a "steet" car, what else do you need?

Showbiz is another deal.

#10 ·
For an every day driver dont go with a harder racing pads, but i without a doubt have to agree with everyone who recommends the cross drilled...I am running SP Performance crossdrilled & slotted (i beat mine to death), with the stocks i could warp them in under 10k miles, so far the SP's have 72k on them and no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.