ABS Module Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, ABS Module Replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I was wondering if one could replace the ABS module himself? Will disconnecting the battery be enough to while replacing ...
    Puck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ABS Module Replacement

I was wondering if one could replace the ABS module himself?

Will disconnecting the battery be enough to while replacing the module?

Or would this mess the computer up by replacing this device?

It's a 90' cadillac Deville.

Anyone with knowledge on this ABS module will be graetly appreciated? thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Easy

The ABS computer (ECBM) for your car is an aluminum box located in one of two places. Under the dash, in the center, behind the vent that carries air to the rear of the car (may be partially covered by a small flap of carpet). Or on the rear seat back/decklid accessabe through the trunk. It it very easy to swap the ECBM just disconnect the negative battery terminal unplug the old computer and install the new one. Leave the battery disconnected for 2 hours to allow the PCM to reset itself, this way it will more readily accept the new ECBM. If you buy a used computer get it from the same year or close and the same model car.

Re: Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    The ABS computer (ECBM) for your car is an aluminum box located in one of two places. Under the dash, in the center, behind the vent that carries air to the rear of the car (may be partially covered by a small flap of carpet). Or on the rear seat back/decklid accessabe through the trunk. It it very easy to swap the ECBM just disconnect the negative battery terminal unplug the old computer and install the new one. Leave the battery disconnected for 2 hours to allow the PCM to reset itself, this way it will more readily accept the new ECBM. If you buy a used computer get it from the same year or close and the same model car.

Thanks Slick Black Cad. I will take a look at it and see if it's something I can accomplish on my own.

Re: ABS Module Replacement

Hey Slick Black Cadillac, if you are still around or to who maybe able to answer this question.

Most places want nearly $1200.00 to replace the ABS module and that's with a reconditioned one.
    Others will order the module only thru a dealer and the cost is $2000.00.

I have picked up a reconditioned module for $300.00 and a mechanics shop wants $300.00 to install it.

My question is, Can I just replace it like you had said Slick Black Cadillac? Is it really that simple?

Is it really nesseacary for me to have to deplete the system pressure and thoroughly flushing the brake system before installing? Like the instructions in the box says which came with the ABS module?
    I hope not, but thought I would ask before I jump into next week.

Hope someone can give me an answer either way.
    Thanks,Rj

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.