ELC Codes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, ELC Codes? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all, I noticed recently that my electronic level control system (2001 DTS) must not be functioning. With a car-load ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

ELC Codes?

Hi all,

I noticed recently that my electronic level control system (2001 DTS) must not be functioning. With a car-load of people I scraped the bottom of the car pulling into a steep driveway. I got out an noticed that the back was basically sitting on the ground. Shouldn't it be throwing a code if it's calling to runn the pump but it senses the ride height isn't changing?

I checked the manual and the pump is supposed to run for a few seconds about 20 seconds after key-on. It's not doing that. It was working when I first got the car but I'm not sure when it actually stopped.

Are they rebuildable? Are there common problems (that are easy to fix)?

TIA,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ACDC686 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: ELC Codes?

My 1990 Coupe Deville is doing the same thing. The hoses are hooked up but the compressor wont cycle.

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The simplest things to do is to check any codes.

I'm sure you'll find some codes, like S036.

1.Turn ignition on (don't start the engine, so you can hear any sound better). Wait up to the 40 sec. You should hear a rattling sound of ride compressor for couple seconds and right after that sound of exhausting air.

2. If you don't hear check fuses in a trunk. If you have a manual, follow a trouble tree.

I posted some time ago how to find what's going on in details. Use search function.

I figured it out last week but didn't post back.

First I checked for codes - there weren't any.

Then I checked the 30-amp fuse. Looked good.

Then I turned the key on and quickly ran back and put my finger on the relay. It was clicking.

Then I put a meter on the wires feeding the compressor. Saw 12-volts when the relay clicked.

I took the compressor out. Took the head off - the piston isn't moving. Took the cover off the 'crankcase'. Sprayed WD40 in there. Waited. While I was waiting I took the cover off the motor. It was all burned up inside and smelled like it too. I cleaned up the brushes and stuff and put it back together.

Then I tried to free up the piston. I broke the tiny aluminum connecting rod. I shoveled it all into the trash and had one sent from my uncle's salvage yard. It should be here any day now.

So, in short, a 'new' compressor should fix it. It was definitely working when I first got the car. I suspect that little crankcase was full of water for a long time. The bearing on the connecting rod couldn't stand it anymore and had seized to the counterbalance on the electric motor shaft. I'm really surpised that the relay didn't bake or the fuse didn't blow. The motor was getting juice and based on the way it smelled it was getting HOT.

Jim

I bought used compressor just for $51 shipping include. Good luck.

I checked http://car-part.com/ and air compressor for a bit more, around $100+ for 2001 DTS. I don't know a difference. I believe they all the same.
    Your car was flooded, isn't? I think air compressor was last thing to take care after that happened, we can not remember everything. Now, imagine it suck the water instead of air.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgamer
    I checked http://car-part.com/ and air compressor for a bit more, around $100+ for 2001 DTS. I don't know a difference. I believe they all the same.
    Your car was flooded, isn't? I think air compressor was last thing to take care after that happened, we can not remember everything. Now, imagine it suck the water instead of air.
    Yes it was flooded. It's not that I forgot it, it's that the stupid thing was working fine when I got the car. I was amazed to hear it run the first time I turned the key. Sometime between then and now it failed. The water didn't get into the compressed-air lines (they're sealed) but it did get into the motor itself and the tiny crankcase where the piston connects to the motor. That's the bearing that seized. I bet the water stayed in there for a long time because that crankcase is pretty well sealed. Once the water got in it couldn't get out. So the bearing was lubricated with water, which as we know is not a good lubricant.

If this junkyard unit fails I'll check car-part.com. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.