Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; What's the scoop on the different types of rotors and what works best on these cars? What brands are recommended ...
    RKunz2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above?

What's the scoop on the different types of rotors and what works best on these cars? What brands are recommended (i.e. - Brembo, Pro Slot, etc.)

I've seen cross-drilled. Slotted. And, cross-drilled and slotted. Beyond on the marketing hype and garbage, what's the real deal? Best of all worlds for heat resistance, fading, dust, and pad wear? I "hear" that slotting or drilling significantly cuts down pad life, but that's the trade-off for increased heat dissipation. True?

I will say that I've switched to semi-ceramic vs. semi-metallic pads recently and am THRILLED with the results. Don't know about wear, but dust is 70% less than OE metallics, no noise, no squeal, no nothing. They just work!

I've seen some varying opinions on EBC, which is not the brand I used (can't remember the brand at the moment), but the pads work great!

Opinions anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Southern DubVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above?

Hawk, Powerstop, Powerslot, Brembo and EBC are some of the brands out there, Baer makes a complete brake system but its pricey between $1000-$1500 depending on where you look. Google some of the names, I too am going to upgrade my brake system because I plan on upping the diameter of my wheels 20" or 22" but haven't make a definite choice yet. But I did find something interesting and if you are really considering slotted or cross-drilled rotors for your brake application you might want to read this: http://www.mazda6tech.com/articles/s...ut-brakes.html

hope this helps

DUB

RKunz2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above?

Thanks, DubVille. Very informative article!

Pictures of cracked rotors really send a message.

It sounds like it'd be best to stay with solid, but vented rotors and go with a good brand. I know Brembo supplies GM, but are they the best? I think I've got the right pad combination (although I haven't had them long enough to determine pad life), but they work very well on the car and produce little dust, noise, or squeal. The key now are the rotors.

I really don't want to turn the fronts, so I'm looking at replacements again. Is it really taboo to replace the rotors and not the pads too, if the pads still have 50% or better remaining? Or should I just buck up the $60 bucks or so, and do it all at the same time?

I've tried to be gentle on this set (which I hate by the way), but it doesn't seem to have mattered much. I've had cars previously that I've had to be careful with the brakes (hence, undersized systems from the mfg.) and yet, I've had other cars that it didn't matter how much you punished the brake system, it never got hurt (hence, properly sized brake system for the vehicle weight and performance). I hate that Cadillac put wimpy brakes on this thing, it really pisses me off.

Anyway, I love the feedback, thanks again! Any other suggestions or ideas?

bharner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Drilled, Slotted, Cross-Drilled, or "D" All the Above?

porche comes stock with cross-drilled. brembo i believe. ambulances and police use them all over the country. had them on my 98 sts b4 someone hit her. $500 bucks for all new rotors and pads all around. wow!!! have them on my 92 coupe now. wow!!!. no cracking yet. and stopping power. wow!!! PowerStop. Get those along with the posi quiet pads and you wont be disappointed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.