Spongy Brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Spongy Brakes in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Here is my problem; When I first bought the car a few years ago, it had 43K miles on it. ...
    WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Angry Spongy Brakes

Here is my problem;

When I first bought the car a few years ago, it had 43K miles on it. When I took it for a test drive, I noticed a lot of brake lag/spongyness. Same sort of feeling u get, when your pads are real low. Where as, you have to depress the pedal 50% more just to get some brake response. Anyway, I pointed that out, and they told me that the brakes were brand new all around and this is 'normal' for this car. Fortunately, having a 95 STS, I knew exactly how the brakes were supposed 2 feel, and explained to them that im not buying it like that. Finally they agreed to replace the rear calipers and pads, (fronts were supposedly new...they did look new). It seemed to fix the problem ever so slightly, and I ended up just dealing with it for a while. With new calipers and pads all around, I figured maybe it IS just me.

Now; (I decided, its not just me)

When im driving the car hard, the brakes get extremely spongy. It appears they are very prone to overheating? What is really annoying about that. Is that the stability controll gets dissabled until they cool down, and it does 2nd gear starts (This happens alot, not the case in our 95) I decided to purchase a set of drilled rotors and ceramic pads, figuring this would greatly reduce my problem of overheating, reduce that spongy feel, and increase my highway stoping distances. It did not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it b a bad brake booster? I dont have any visible leaks, my fulid is good etc....The calipers should be more than one piston IMO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Spongy Brakes

Well, I'm not really sure. My best guess would be that there is air trapped in one of the lines... Does the car tell you exactly which wheel has the overheating rotors? If so then the one thats overheating is probably the one that they have to bleed to get the air out.... Its not a bad brake booster, if it was then the petal would feel very firm and you will have very little stopping power. Getting a bigger caliper with dual pistons wouldn't help the overheating problem at all, it would block off more ventilation ports on the outer edge of the rotor and would probably make the problem worse. Like I said before its probably air in one of the lines.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

What does "my fulid is good " mean? Are you saying that the level is up?
    Replace your brake fluid. It will remove any air and/or water in the lines and should get rid of any excessive pedal travel. Make sure the fluid is fresh DOT3.

Worn Brake pads don't cause sponginess, the system compensates for wear by moving the pads in closer. That's why when you install new pads you have to spread the calipers out first so they will fit over the rotors again.

Rob Benham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB

Make sure there are not two problems. The sponginess must be got right.

Perhaps try to drive the exact same model with the dealer to add weight to your argument.

Even good mechanics sometimes get caught by not getting all the air out. Just a pocket in the corner of a piston would do it.

Hearís a thing. Gas is perfectly elastic...and Iím guessing here, but as a caliper got hot the pressure would go up IF for some reason the pressure could not get back down the line. This would cause moderated binding.

Any PRVs that might act as NRVs in the line to the rear?

WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

All good points and I appreciate it. But I wish it was that simple...

Make sure there are not two problems. The sponginess must be got right
    It seems to me they are to sepperate issues, sorry if I mangled them into one post...also I'm not simply trying to argue that it doesn't feel like our other STS...If u were to drive this car, you would immediately spot this porblem. I guarantee it. I mean, yes..the brakes work..but its just one of those things that drive people like u and me up the wall...u know what i mean...just like that mystery rattle your wife will never hear, or she tells you she hears it, when its not happening

Getting a bigger caliper with dual pistons wouldn't help the overheating problem at all, it would block off more ventilation ports on the outer edge of the rotor and would probably make the problem worse. Like I said before its probably air in one of the lines.
    I understand the bigger caliper wouldnt do much for heat, but I could deal with the heat, if the damn thing felt like it wanted to stop. Which it does, but u have to really be firm with it.

What does "my fulid is good " mean? Are you saying that the level is up?
    Replace your brake fluid. It will remove any air and/or water in the lines and should get rid of any excessive pedal travel. Make sure the fluid is fresh DOT3.
    I recently had a brakeline go on me...not a good time....(I love u ebrake)...anyway, the fluid was replaced at the stealer when they fixed the lines. The pedal feel was exactly the same before and after...If I have air in the lines. It means that I had air before my brakes blew up, and after ....which I guess could b the case, but I figure its not a high propability...

Also I go through brake pads every 30K or less (these ceramics are holding up great btw!! Im impressed), so I have bled the system on many occasions

Worn Brake pads don't cause sponginess
    I understand how the caliper works...but you can certainly tell the difference in the pedal with new, vs. worn pads...no matter how much that caliper compensates for the thickness of the pad.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

As brake fluis is exposed to air, the moisture in the air will mix with the fluid. This is unavoidable. The moisture that mixes with the fluid, will heat up at a faster rate than the fluid itself. When this happens, the moisture boils, turns to a gas, and you have spongy brakes. Do a complete bleed of your brake system, with new, unopened bottle of fluid. This should cure your problems. If the brakes are still spongy, I would replace the rubber brake hoses. I would also do this as quickly as possible, and avoid driving the car in the mean time.

Don

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

What Don and I said.
    Let us know how it goes so we all learn something.

Rob Benham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB

Huh! Having thought about it, I decided to do my rear calipers. Bleed them that is.

I was astonished how much air came out as I pushed the piston in. The pedal has never been so firm. Glad I came in on this thread !!

nukeduster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

also, upgrade to SS brake lines, or just do the hotrodder trick of tieing zipties every 1/2" on the brake lines. it firms up the pedal alot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.