97 STS Brake vibration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 97 STS Brake vibration in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just bought a 97 STS with 86K. Great car. When I apply the brakes above about 50 MPH I ...
    air1ren is offline Cadillac Owners Member

97 STS Brake vibration

I just bought a 97 STS with 86K. Great car. When I apply the brakes above about 50 MPH I get a vibration/rumble which feels/sounds like it is coming from under the rear of the car. (It is very much like when you drift to the shoulder of the expressway and hit those grooves in the cement).After the car slows to around 40MPH it goes away. I replaced the pads (they were about 70% worn) with no help. I am going to try the rotors next, they do look fairly worn, but it is hard to tell if there are hard spots. I am wondering if the anti-skid system would cause this symptom. There are no fail messages or lights on. Anyone seen this symptom before? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: 97 STS Brake vibration

Is your brake pedal pulsating sharply at the same rate? It could be the ABS kicking in. For the rotor to be warped, I'd expect a "dull" vibration. It could also be a bearing.

6thCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Most likely rotors. I had the same issue with my '00 STS and I put new pads and rotors on and problem cured. When I would come off of the freeway and apply the brakes it just about would shake a tooth loose. Now you lay into the brakes and not one shake.

air1ren is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have not felt it in the pedal, which I agree would be there if a rotor is warped. I think that based on 6th cad's experience I will give the rotors a try, as they could have hard spots causing the brakes to slip and grab rapidly. Thanks to both of you...

tryn2befree is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I put Pro Slots on the front and Brembo Drilled on the back, coupled with Firehawk pads FR/RR and they work sweet...however, because I drive the piss out of it, 35k mi. later I have warped FR/RR rotors...

Also, looking to get an SUV so I'm selling and will replace the brakes prior to the sell, anyone have a suggestion as to what OEM pads w/sensor will cost and brand I should go with?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.