Can I repair air line for rear suspension?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Can I repair air line for rear suspension? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Question Can I repair air line for rear suspension?

Hi guys,

I need some advice, so I'll start from the very beginning...sorry if it will take a bit long.

I bought 94' STS in 1998. I noticed strange thing some time after that when I took off right rear wheel: thin air line or wire (6 years back I didn't know what is that) just hanging from somewhere.

Couple days ago I decided to check codes and one of them was current: S038 (open circuit for exhaust valve of air compressor for electronic level control). Using trouble tree I find out that I should change exhaust valve. Manual says that in this case I should change compressor head. When I was under the car I noticed other thing too: one air line which goes from compressor to the right wheel shock was hanging and it having sleeve on the end (looks like rubber joint). And I saw other end of air line, coming from shock and hanging too. I didn't notice any joint on an air line that goes to the left shock, it was one piece. Now I think it looks like air line was cut accidentally and then rubber joint was used to fix it.

I didn't notice anything wrong with ride or level, for some how it is fine.

To fix a problem I need to buy whole air compressor (I didn't see anybody selling just a compressor head) and repair/change the air line too. I found used compressors on line, but always without air lines.

So, what you think, can that air line be fixed (it should hold up to 100 PSI), should I try to buy it somewhere (I donít even know part number and name) or I should just forget about whole thing cause car runs fine?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: Can I repair air line for rear suspension?

I don' t think there is a good way to fix those nylon lines.

But I had a similar problem in my 93 Eldo and I was able to buy the entire air line assy. (with all the connectors) from a local Caddy dealer. IIRC, it cost about $70 but it did the trick. You shoudl be able to buy one and just replace the broken one.

Peteski

Thank you, I'll try that.

EldoLak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently Cadillacless

I had a air ride problem on my 86' Sedan DeVille...bad lines, and what I thought was a bad compressor. I took a Rancho in-cab shock adjustment kit I had laying around and used that line to re-run the air lines from to the rear shocks. The other problem was the leveling bracket needed to be adjusted to turn on the compressor. It worked just fine for the rest of the time I owned it.

How did you do that? Caddies have special air line fittings. All aftermarket air shocks have totally different fittings. Caddy line mushrooms out at the end and that holds the o-rings in. Aftemarket shocks have sort of a compression fittings.

Peteski

Last Friday I came home and found the package I ordered: used air compressor for 94 Seville. It was just $51 shipping include. I replaced the old one and installed "new". The hardest part to me was to connect air lines back to the air dryer. Fitting has clips and it should be easy, but for some reasons it wasn't. Then I took right rear wheel off and tried to fix broken air line with a rubber sleeve. I guess it's fine now, we'll see. Checked computer codes and now code S038 in a history, not a current. I feel better, couple scratches are nothing.

Next weekend I'll take a look what's going on with RF position sensor. Code S061 bothering me more than 7 years (something intermittent).

I'm glad you got it fixed! Lets hope that the rubber hose repair holds!
    Peteski

Thanks. I will post what I'll find with a position sensoring. I know this is a very common trouble. For starters, yeasterday, when I went shopping with my wife, I turn computer on right after I started engine and displayed RSS data SD11, which should show data from RF position sensor. It's suppose to be in right range. And it was for the first 25-35 second of driving. Then, it suddenly jumped off the limit and stayed there. On a way back to home from parking lot it was normal again. At least it is something to think about. It's intermittent and can be wiring or sensor. What we can do without computer? It's priceless.

Yes, it is most likely bad wiring or connector.

And comuters can sometimes be very helpful but other times a major pain in the ass!

Peteski

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    ...comuters can sometimes be ... a major pain in the ass!
    Sometimes they are, just because we get too much information. Let say, if I didn't have the computer I never knew that something wrong with suspension and never had all these worries. And car runs fine anyway. I read posting couple days ago: somebody took of the alternator to test it in the auto shop just because he has 13 something volts, less than 14. If that person has no computer he might save some money and not to do some unneeded work.
    But if something happened with computer itself it's really hard to track down. The things can go completely unpredictable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.