Ebrake adjustment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Ebrake adjustment in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi guys, newbie here!Can anyone tell me how to adjust the ebrake on the 80-85 seville calipers.I was told to ...
    Burbanman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ebrake adjustment

Hi guys, newbie here!Can anyone tell me how to adjust the ebrake on the 80-85 seville calipers.I was told to take the lever arm off and screw the 9/16 bolt in but when I do this fluid comes out and it is impossible to get the lever arm back on.What the heck am I missing, I can't feel it clicking to a new ratchet stop or anything.Do you just crank up superhard on the cable adjustment and reef on the brake pedal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Ebrake adjustment

Dude, I think the person who told you that may have thought you had drum brakes... You don't adjust them at the calipers, follow the cable to the middle of the rear crossover bar. You should see an adjustment screw there where the cable from the front connects into the rear cables. Just tighten or loosen it up to the desired position... Keep in mind that if you tighten it too much your e-brake will always be on.

edit> Wait, you said 80-85... Do you have disk or drum brakes?, because if you have drum brakes then what I just said is totally irrelevant. if you have drum brakes then you have to turn the little sprocket (inside the drum) that the the little lever is sitting on to adjust it. You can leave the lever sitting on the sprocket to tighten the brakes up but you have to lift the lever off of the sprocket in order to loosen the brakes. You want the shoes to be touching the drum a little bit but not too much. You also want to tighten the other side up so they both have the same amount of resistance when you turn them, that way you don't pull to one side when you press the brake pedal.

Ohh yeah, almost forgot,

Thanks Krashed for the response.They are rear disc with the ebrake built in.I think my cable is pretty well adjusted but I guess I could keep cranking on it until the pads are close to the rotor.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Start the car, step on the service brake hard and stomp on the emergency brake pedal and release about a dozen times. Then go back to the calipers and see if the caliper emergency brake levers can be cranked toward the front of the vehicle without resistance. They should get tight at about 1/2 travel. If they don't have resistance then the lever must be removed and the stud turned to the next postion in the direction which applies the brake.
    Any loss of fluid more than a drop or 2 is a sign that the calipers should traded with a pair of rebuilt ones. Prices on these have gone way down and it isn't worth messing with crusty old ones.

Thanks Ape Man, these are Brand new calipers I have and they piss fluid out when I crank them in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.