Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wake 
#1 ·
I get allot of road feedback in my steering wheel...IOW....I feel the small bumps in the road in my wheel.....seems to be most prevalent when I am in a slight turn...

I lifted the car and checked for wheel bearing play in on each wheel...and they both feel tight.....so my next guess is the steering rack.....is this a common symptom of failure for a steering rack with 100K miles on it...I also looked at the rack....no visible signs of wear....even the tie rods look and feel tight......The scary part looks like trying to remove the rack....how difficult is it?

OH and also there is a bump...or popping noise when the steering wheel is moved left or right from direct center.....it is more noticeable when you quickly move the steering wheel back an forth about one inch.

Thanks

#4 ·
My 98 Eldorado does the same exact thing...

I took it to the dealer last week and they claim the rack is fine, play wise and the car steers as it should... My previous 94 Eldo didn't have this, play in the steering...

They did want to replace the rack though as it does make noise, but my extended warranty won't pay to replace it unless it fails completely... I'm hoping that it goes soon as I don't enjoy driving the car anymore with the sloppy steering...

My suspension components are fine... Had the end links replaced, and one tie rod end in the last year, so I'm pretty sure it's the rack that's the problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.