Question/possible problems replacing active struts with passive struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Question/possible problems replacing active struts with passive struts in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1994 Concours Sedan. One strut is bad . Each strut from the dealer costs $ 895 EACH. ...
    Kriegel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Question/possible problems replacing active struts with passive struts

I have a 1994 Concours Sedan. One strut is bad . Each strut from the dealer costs $ 895 EACH.

Monroe appears to have no passive strut for the 1994 model.

Two companies STRUTMASTER on the internet and one company on EBAY Boston? Shocks sell stuts that they claim will fit and send a resistor code to the computer eliminating the service ride control light.

I can replace struts once I get the correct part.

HAs anyone dealt with the two companies above? Any other companies that sell passive struts?

Thanks Dave Kriegel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Question/possible problems replacing active struts with passive struts

I am <pretty> sure that KYB makes passive struts that work good......

And, I may be mistaken, but i think the standard deville has passive struts..... Maybe you could just get a set of those.......

Easiest thing to do is get the KYB struts and then via the OBD you can disable the ride control system...... someone posted info about that...... Please read up......

Welcome aboard, and thanks for signing up.....

timber6860 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
    94 standard DeVille does not come with passive struts, but you can get them from the dealer for $500.00 installed for the pair.

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Boston Suspension

I own a 1996 Concours and recently purchased the passive suspension kit from Boston Suspension on Ebay. The kit was delivered lightning fast and was fairly easy to install (you need a spring compressor and will probably have to torch off your rear bags). No message appeared on the DIC. The ride is signficantally stiffer and takes some time to break in but solves any ride discrepancies you may have. Dennis at Boston Suspension was super helpfull with any questions I had. Reccomended.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Boston Suspension

Thats good to hear there is a good passive strut kit......

For getting the springs off, Id recommend taking the whole strut assy to an independent shop and having them use their air compressor to get it off..... Im sure they'd do all 4 for $30 or so..... Plus, you dont mess with the danger of a spring compressor.......

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Spring Compressor

It's probably safer to take the strut assembly to a shop and have a full size compressor remove the springs. Auto Zone has that free loan a tool service, we took advantage of that and they gave us a sturdy and simple compressor to use. It was just easier and fit our time scedule a little nicer. But yeah if you've never done one before you might want to have some professoinal assistance.

speedyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Ok ill keep it short.... when it comes to Strutmasters RUN don’t walk.

I had nothing but problems which translated into problems for me..

There are alternatives but the best advise I can offer for the caddy is the Monroe option. If Monroe does not make it you can get custom product but be prepared to wait……
    If you send in your cores you can get custom passive units within say 2-3 months.

Dealerships can also offer these passive options but you have to push to get them to do it.

Ty

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what pronlems did u have since i bought the kit and gona install front and backs??

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

I would reccommend Arnott Inc. shocks and struts.
    They install without any modifications or error codes popping up.

Please see thread on this.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=9824
    -George

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Boston Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    I own a 1996 Concours and recently purchased the passive suspension kit from Boston Suspension on Ebay. The kit was delivered lightning fast and was fairly easy to install (you need a spring compressor and will probably have to torch off your rear bags). No message appeared on the DIC. The ride is signficantally stiffer and takes some time to break in but solves any ride discrepancies you may have. Dennis at Boston Suspension was super helpfull with any questions I had. Reccomended.
    I too have spoken with Dennis, and he is a great guy. Read his eBay feedback, you can't make that stuff up. Nearly half his transactions are on eBay, that's pretty bold.

My mechanic looked at the stuff, and said he saw no reason why it would cause any issues. Plus, no ride control messages will trip.

DeepPurple is offline Cadillac Owners Member

AC/Delco has passives to go on your car, also. I put these on the front of my STS. They were 150 and change for the pair. I love the ride...a lot firmer but not too firm...you know. Then you can just put out your SRC light ala the TSB that GM put out. I can furnish this for you if you want. Find an independant parts house that sells AC/Delco parts. They will be able to fix you right up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.