94 sls brake replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 94 sls brake replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I am trying to replace the brakes on my 94 seville SLS, but I have no clue how to remove ...
    detra is offline Cadillac Owners Member

94 sls brake replacement

I am trying to replace the brakes on my 94 seville SLS, but I have no clue how to remove the top bolt holding the brakes in place. I am fairly retarded when it comes to cars, but I changed the front brakes with absolutely no problem, just cant seem to get the second bolt removed...any help would be massively appreciated, as I don't want to spend 365 bucks at the dealer to have the brakes replaced on a car that has 225k miles on it :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 94 sls brake replacement

Do you mean it will not loosen or ???? Not sure what you are asking. Regardless of the mileage or value of the car these are the brakes we are talking about....if there is any question I would spend the money to make sure it is done correctly as it will cost even more to find out the opposite.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about (caliper bolts), you only remove the bottom one. Then the caliper pivots on the top "pin". If you need to remove the caliper, it then slides inboard on the top pin. Also, unlike the front calipers, the piston is not pressed in. It is threaded and therefor screws in. You need a "brake cube" ($8-$16) to rotate it in although it is doable with needle nose pliers. The piston will move in much easier if you open the bleeder valve first.

detra is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, I'm gonna try explain this to the best of my ability. When changing the front brakes, there are 2 pins that hold "metal casing" (damned if I know official name) in place. That metal casing holds the brake shoes/pads and also has the caliper.

On the rear brakes, I can remove one of the bolts (bottom one), but the top is held in place by my something that looks like a bolt, but its almost perfectly round and it has a small hole in it with a rubber plug inside that hole. I can swing the bottom of the "metal casing" out, but the top is held in place by that pin that I can't get out. I can almost get the shoes/pads out, but not quite.

I don't really have the cash to go to a dealership to get this fixed, and I thought I was halfway mechanically inclined. It took me all of 20 minutes to replace both the front brakes, but I'm having this stupid issue with the rear. Any help would be loved, and if someone could tell me the official name of the "metal casing" it would make me feel a little bit less stupid :P

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I think the "metal casing" you are talking about is the caliper. The part that moves in and out is the caliper piston. I'm not positive but look at the end of the pin you are trying to get out. It should have a 6 point star pattern cut into it. There is a special wrench to loosen it. You usually get a set that goes on a 3/8 ratchet.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That pin does not get removed. Swing the caliper all the way up. It pivots on that pin. You should be able to remove the pads at that point. If you need to remove the caliper completely, then slide the caliper inboard while raised. The pin will come out of the mounting while still attatched to the caliper. You'll have to loosen the rubber dust boots to do it and reset them when you reinstal.

flurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am trying to change the rear pads and rotors on my 1995 Deville. I removed the lower caliper bolt, but when I try to pivot it upwards, movement is impeded by the parking brake being held in place by the bracket on the inboard side. Should this be removed. If so, how?

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by flurphy
    I am trying to change the rear pads and rotors on my 1995 Deville. I removed the lower caliper bolt, but when I try to pivot it upwards, movement is impeded by the parking brake being held in place by the bracket on the inboard side. Should this be removed. If so, how?
    This reply comes much later than needed but is intended for those who are reading this thread to know....

Yes, once the lower caliper bolt is removed you next remove the parking brake bolt located not quite center but closer to the caliper behind the rotor. I believe this bolt is 12mm hex head and larger than the lower caliper bolt.

The caliper is removed as Ranger outlined previously, otherwise it is rotated upward on the (smooth head) pin if only changing the pads. There is generally no need to fuss with the caliper piston as long as the emergency brake cable has been removed from the caliper.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I don't like doing it that way... you can't get the rotor off to lathe it when you do it that way... There are two large bolts (18mm I think) holding the entire caliper assembly in place. The bottom one is easy to get at, but the top one you have to remove the parking brake cable (I use two flathead screwdrivers to do it fairly quickly) to get at. Then you should be able to change the pads, and take the rotors somewhere to get them cut (preferably using a different car).

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

My '02 SLS has two 15mm bolts, that hold the caliper/bracket assembly to the knuckle. After removing the pads, remove these two bolts, and the entire assembly can be set to the side. No need to touch the parking brake cable. It is much easier this way.

Don

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Check out this link; http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ds-rotors.html
    Hopefully your brake set-up is the same.

Don

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Don't know about the other people, but that one's different from mine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.