Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just put on OEM rear air shocks I got from Arnott Ind. ($594 for 2). The old ones failed. ...
    chmont1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville STS

Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS

I just put on OEM rear air shocks I got from Arnott Ind. ($594 for 2). The old ones failed. I paid 105 to put them on thats $699 for OEM shocks. No warning lights are on the car and the shop that put them on wanted Arnott's info so they could buy some also. Knowone has mentioned these shocks yet to I will be the test. Arnott said they bought some overstock from GM and they advertise them as Genuine OEM from GM. I'm glad I did not have to do the passive conversion and got to keep all my factory STS ride.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

triplekey is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS

How did those shocks from arnott work out. I had just ordered them also should be getting them in a couple of days for my 98 sts.

They are excellent. No codes fit perfect. I did have to replace my comp. head because it was bad and I had a code c1738 and the comp. would work every now and then. But the shocks are perfect. I would recommend this option instead of the passive replacements because you still get all the RSS featues and the shocks were only $594 delivered to my door and I paid $105 to have them put on. That's $699 for oem shocks, you can't beat it. I recommend Arnott Ind.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by chmont1
    I just put on OEM rear air shocks I got from Arnott Ind. ($594 for 2). The old ones failed. I paid 105 to put them on thats $699 for OEM shocks. No warning lights are on the car and the shop that put them on wanted Arnott's info so they could buy some also. Knowone has mentioned these shocks yet to I will be the test. Arnott said they bought some overstock from GM and they advertise them as Genuine OEM from GM. I'm glad I did not have to do the passive conversion and got to keep all my factory STS ride.
    I just did a search on this forum for "Arnott" and got 41 hits. Haven't had a chance to read them all. Don't know if they are good or bad, but for some reason people are installing passive systems.

agood1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also put the OEM shocks from Arnott on my 98 SLS and I also put new front struts from Arnott on it.....
    The jury is still out for me.....I had one bad OEM shock that Arnott replaced.....I am waiting to see if the make me pay the shipping to return their defective part....

Overall the ride seems stiffer than it was before....but I think my old shocks were so worn out that they were making a smooth ride...but the wheels would bounce when I hit a bump....Not sure what is worse...the stiffer ride now...or the super soft ride with an occasional wheel bounce.
    The front Struts are also stiffer...and now I am getting a wierd bumping in the steering wheel when the front tires hit bumps...or while I am turning......

But anyway ...this is a good deal for OEM shocks......Just wish he had some OEM struts.
    My SLS now rides like my Saturn.....which is not what I wanted.

Boston Suspension is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just a suggestion Boston Suspension has upgraded the luxury kit, for Monroe Sense-A-Trac front struts. We have sold so many of the regular monroe version the wholesaler was willing to give us the better one for about the same price. So it's all good for the consumer.They ride awsome.

Regards,

Dennis
    Boston Suspension

Dennis,

I tried Monroe sense-a-trak struts....I bought them locally...they were awful....I had them taken off.....I now in over $1000 for stuts and shock on my car...and I still don't have what I want....I am quite frustrated at this point and do not want to throw any more money at this problem.
    You have any suggestions?

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by chmont1
    They are excellent. No codes fit perfect...I would recommend this option instead of the passive replacements because you still get all the RSS featues ...
    Hey I am in Dallas, TX.

How did you know the struts failed? Service RSS message? Or was it driving funny?

I was at Sears the other day, and asked a mechanic about this symptom I have sometimes when taking a curve a little too fast.. the tail end of the car feels as if it comes off the ground and shifts toward the outside of the turn. He said it was the shocks-and recommended the Monroe option (that's what they sell).

I was almost buying it, but then I thought... my car does not bounce when you push down on it (telltale sign something is wrong), and I have no RSS messages... so what gives? LOL

Maybe my car is suppossed to feel different--it's very smooth on level roads, and takes corners very well (without pitching like the Queen Mary). It is no BMW feeling where you become the human shock absorber. Is this the way it's supposed to ride?

I'm in North Dallas, so I wouldn't mind being a passenger in your car with new OEMs while you take a few corners.

Regards,
    Alex

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by agood1
    I tried Monroe sense-a-trak struts....I bought them locally...they were awful....I had them taken off.....I now in over $1000 for stuts and shock on my car...and I still don't have what I want....I am quite frustrated at this point and do not want to throw any more money at this problem.
    You have any suggestions?
    Sounds like you should go with original OEM, passive, designed for your car.

Sears recommended those Monroes to me, glad I didn't bite. My suspension is fine, no complaints--other than when I turn at highway speeds, and the road is bumpy... it feels as if the tail end lifts off with a bump--and shifts outward... not too common and usually a sign for me that I'm going too fast into the turn LOL.

I do have the Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension, not the basic Luxury one. My ETC has a very soft, smooth ride--like a living room on wheels (only missing the TV, the remote, the fireplace, and the dog)--yet it doesn't pitch like the Queen Mary when you ask it to do anything that doesn't involve a straight line...LOL

I know of a Cadillac dealership that offers good discounts on parts, too bad you've already invested a lot of $$.

Good luck,

Alex

Dennis,
    I am interested in talking to you further....can you email me?

Boston Suspension is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just E mail us at bostonsusp@comcast.net or call us at 1-800-293-2660

Dennis

Sorry I have not been around in a couple of weeks, I got a new job and it has limited internet access. mtflight, we might have to get together so I can take you on a ride. The Arnott OEM's are still giving me a excellent ride. I can take corners alot better. It is a little stiff in the rear, but I expect that from new shocks and it is a STS. The front seems a little soft now and bounces more on the pass. side. They are getting old and I will replace them in a couple of months. No noises, problems, lights or DTC codes. agood1 sorry you got a bad one. I do not work for Arnott and I live in Plano TX. I am just glad I did not have to convert anything. mtflight look for me in the green STS with the tan top flying down the George Bush, 75 or the N. Dallas tollway.

Firewireman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 99 STS with leaking airbags and need to get them replaced. A shop quoted me $1500 to replace with what's in there now, original. Trying to decide if I should spend the $1500 or try the Arnott shocks. The mechanic seemed to think converting would not be the way to go, he did not recommend it at all. Any more updates on these, how they ride after they're broken in?

Firewireman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I decided to go ahead with this as I need replacements and $600 seems better than $1450. Even if the ride is a little stiffer, it'll be better than my rear end swaying left to right every time I hit a crack while on the freeway. I'll keep you informed of what happens.

rubenmer1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium (RWD), 1999 Seville STS

Keep us inform Firewireman.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.