Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; These are the Anott Ind. OEM Air shocks that everyone seems to not be happy with, right? I thought I ...
    Nicnatros is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac STS

Re: Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS

These are the Anott Ind. OEM Air shocks that everyone seems to not be happy with, right? I thought I saw on their website that the shocks were overstock bought from GM when they switched to a new system. Wouldn't that mean that they "should" feel the same as brand new? Do these hook up to the air compressor line just like the ones from factory?

Firewireman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yes, they hook up to the compressor. I know for a fact they are not the same as what comes on the car originally. Just the size alone is completely different. The originals are MUCH bigger than the Arnott shocks. I've had my Arnott's for a few weeks now and the ride has gotten softer from when they were originally put on. I've probably put about 1800 miles on them so far so I would consider them broken in now. Still no problems with them and still very satisfied with them.

chmont1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville STS

Back again, so far I've heard good and bad from everyone. I am still 100% satisfied with my rear Arnott OEM shocks. They are a little stiff at first, but remember you are used to the old worn out shocks, any new shock should be stiff at first. Mine have gotten a little softer and smoother now. It has a smooth firmbut plush ride like a STS should. Not trying to knock anyone, but before my new job, I sold New/Used cars in the Dallas, Plano, Richardson TX area for the past ten years. I have driven many Cadillacs and other cars new and used. Also I have 2 friends and a next door neighbor with STS's and the ride isn't any different. I just went and drove a 2000 w/ 50k on it at the dealership that I used to work at and I cannot find any difference. Now I am talking about the 98/01 rear OEM's, not any other year which are Passive replacements. The shocks on my STS that came off were the same size as the Arnott's and they just pluged right in no computer adjustment needed and no warning lights not adjustments. The manager at the shop that put them on for me (and they specialize in Cadillac's) told me he is going to order some and put them on his wifes 98 STS because of the way mine rides and feels. He also wanted to take a look at mine after a few months and he checked them and said they are good, now he is going to buy his. I feel before you knock a product and are the authority on how they should feel you need to drive a whole bunch of them so you know what you are talking about and also know a lot of mechanic's not just based off of one car that you have been riding in with bad shocks for who knows how long. I don't know how their fronts struts are, because I have not used them and I don't think they are OEM, but the rear OEM's are excellent and I would recommend them. The handling is excellent also, for those who know I took the exit from northbound 35e to the George Bush Turnpike at about 80mph and it handled perfectly. Also the tires matter as well. I don't recommend Goodyear's at all the ride and handle like sh*t for is car. I have Falkens on now and they handle better and are smoother and quieter than the Michellin MXV's. heck, I drove a 98,99 and a 2000 STS today. If these were bad shocks, I would be the first one to tell everyone.

If I ever have to replace the fronts I will probably get OEM's from GMpartsdirect.com They go for about $375 a piece instead of the suggested $771 retail. Hopefully it won't come to that before I sell it, but I'm more willing to pay to keep the air ride than switch to passive to save a few bucks.

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Thanks to everyone here! I have a 99 STS that i can't stand to even drive anymore! The rear squirrels and bounces over every little bump at 136,000 miles. I will go with the factory Arnott shocks now...

I was wondering if anyone had ordered the passive ride for the front on a 99sts? As I said before if I ever have to replace the fronts I will keep the air ride, but I was wondering if anyone had a review on the passive arnotts.

Quote Originally Posted by chmont1
    They are excellent. No codes fit perfect. I did have to replace my comp. head because it was bad and I had a code c1738 and the comp. would work every now and then. But the shocks are perfect. I would recommend this option instead of the passive replacements because you still get all the RSS featues and the shocks were only $594 delivered to my door and I paid $105 to have them put on. That's $699 for oem shocks, you can't beat it. I recommend Arnott Ind.
    CHmont1, I am getting this same error. What do you mean you had to replace your comp? Your computer? I replaced my struts with the Arnotts as well and I am getting that error as well. What did you do to fix it? In a code search it says it's the exhaust solenoid valve short to ground......I'm guessing air compressor, :-p Is that easy to change, how much was it?

chmont1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville STS

Replace the compressor head. You can replace the head which is cheaper or the whole compressor assembly. The compressor head is the brains for you compressor, they are known to rust out, because of there location. When they do they short out. If you replace it you will see a world of difference. And your compressor will work to air up your shocks. part $94 and I paid $50 to have it put on. You might want to replace the air hose from the compressor to the shocks also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.