Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by chmont1 mtflight, we might have to get together so I can take you on a ride. The ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: Arnott Ind. OEM air shocks 98 STS

Quote Originally Posted by chmont1
    mtflight, we might have to get together so I can take you on a ride. The Arnott OEM's are still giving me a excellent ride. I can take corners alot better. It is a little stiff in the rear, but I expect that from new shocks and it is a STS. The front seems a little soft now and bounces more on the pass. side. They are getting old and I will replace them in a couple of months. No noises, problems, lights or DTC codes. agood1 sorry you got a bad one. I do not work for Arnott and I live in Plano TX. I am just glad I did not have to convert anything. mtflight look for me in the green STS with the tan top flying down the George Bush, 75 or the N. Dallas tollway.

Send me an e-mail, maybe we can compare rides...

mtflight@gmail.com I'm just south of GeorgeBush and Coit (just south of West Plano).

Look forward to it.

-Alex

robert graham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hello. i have 1999 seville sls. shocks and struts need replacing. whitch company?
    boston, strutmasters, arnot, also rear air load leveling not working, is there a on off switch? help needed thanks r.g.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

If you can afford it, OEM is best since there will be no compromise of ride/handling. The SLS does not have CVRSS (continuously variable road sensing suspension) so you should not have as much trouble finding non-OEM replacements as the STS or ETC folks.

Firewireman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Triplekey: Just wondering if you received yours and how you were enjoying/disliking them? Mine are still on the way for my 99sts.

Received them today, will have them put on tomorrow. Look for an update in a week or so after they're worn in.

HOLY SH*T! These things are great! I didn't know my car was supposed to ride this way. It's like a completely new car. I did get a speed limited to 90 2 times after they were installed, but then went away and haven't seen it since. I'm guessing the computer just needed to reset itself. Even if they don't get any softer I'm 200% satisfied with them. $600 + $92installed is way better than the quoted $1550 from the dealer. The only down side of this whole experience is I lost a bolt cover on my right rear. It was on when I picked the car up, but now it's gone, guessing it fell off Anyone know where I can order one or have a spare laying around I can mooch or buy off you? Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

97 CaddySLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 97 SLS with 112,700 miles on it and its time to replace the shocks. I want to go with shocks that will not come up with an error everytime I start up the car. I would like the have the air ride all the way around. I know that Arnott and Boston make some good shocks for my car.

The questions that I have:

1.) I want a hard, stiff ride. Which shocks should I get?

On a side note my seat memory is going bad. Every now and then when I open my doors useing my keyless, the seat does not go to the ride position. Does anyone know how to fix this as well?

HELP...PLEASE...THANKS

Steve

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Firewireman
    HOLY SH*T! These things are great! I didn't know my car was supposed to ride this way. It's like a completely new car. I did get a speed limited to 90 2 times after they were installed, but then went away and haven't seen it since. I'm guessing the computer just needed to reset itself. Even if they don't get any softer I'm 200% satisfied with them. $600 + $92installed is way better than the quoted $1550 from the dealer. The only down side of this whole experience is I lost a bolt cover on my right rear. It was on when I picked the car up, but now it's gone, guessing it fell off Anyone know where I can order one or have a spare laying around I can mooch or buy off you? Feel free to ask questions if you have them.
    Ok, I was waiting for this post

Just ordered mine, should have them on next week. Thanks for the review.

Struts are here, they go on next friday. I'll update next weekend.

Nicnatros is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac STS

I just bought a '99 STS. I'm not sure if the rear suspension feels right, is there a way that I can check or test if the rear suspension is working correctly? Is CVRSS or another system in this car similar to the "auto-leveling" on late 80's models that would tilt the rear to even out the car? I tested the car on multiple elevations and the rear end doesn't appear to move up or down. When I got out to look at it, it looks like the rear end sits real low to the tires. I keep getting a current code of "C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND," and from other posts this sounds possibly suspension related.

Thanks for any tips/comments anyone has.

Sounds like your rear struts are dead. You should be able to push down on the back bumper and have the car rebound quickly with maybe 1-2 bounces. Not sure about the error code you're getting.

Struts are on. I had the car out for a quick ride, but it's raining fairly hard here and the front tires aren't in such hot shape, so I couldn't push it at all. Feels much tighter, but not much smoother over road imperfections. Sunday will be clear, so I'll flog it some then and let you all know how good these struts feel.

Ok, my Arnott Strut review.

$900.00 for front/back on a 94 STS including installation.

My 'butt' still feels all the road imperfections. There has certainly been a decrease in the amount of road imperfections being tranferred up through the seats, however these are not what I would consider a 'smooth' riding alternative to OEM. Since these are the same struts that are recommended for the same model year SLS and if ride comfort is your goal, think twice before taking the plunge.

However, that said, none of the road imperfections I've referred to are transmitted to the steering wheel. The car is now absolutely rock solid at all permissable highway speeds, including triple digits. The 94 STS certainly is not as confidence inspiring as my 05 CTS at those speeds, however it will now roll along at much higher speeds then it previously could without any shimmy or vibration from the front end.

If ride is what your after, I would not recommend these shocks. But if you want your car to handle like it was brand new, these are an excellant value.

agood1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree with KTILLS45...I did not like the Arnott either....ride was my biggest concern...and Arnotts do not deliver....I pulled mine off and sent them back...I just bought a pair of cheap Monroes and bypassed the electronics....I get the same poor ride from the Monores as I did from the Arnotts but for aboout 1/10 of the price....I think the ride might be even a little better than the Arnotts....or maybe is is just because there is more padding in my wallet now...

I love mine, but then I guess I never knew what the ride was really supposed to be like. The strutts were bad when I bought the car so any improvement is good. My rear used to sway left and right whenever I hit a bump in the road and now with the arnotts on it's solid. I have some vibration in the front, but I think it's completely unrelated. I replaced the rears, but the fronts are still ok. I'm guessing it's maybe the tires or something else. Not sure, any ideas what it might be other than shocks?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.