Air bags?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Air bags? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; how hard would it be to use air bags in place of the coil springs? I yanked my ALC since ...
    Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Air bags?

how hard would it be to use air bags in place of the coil springs? I yanked my ALC since it looks like it took a dump long ago and the vacuum lines to it were disconnected and plugged. So.. with out the air shocks in back teh rear tires are pretty tucked and the car has a reverse rake to it. I though about cutting a coil out of the front to level it out but though it might be kinda cool to run air bags and be able to pancake it when its parked

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

what ya think?

the Sandman is offline ...Reloaded
    Automobile(s): '05 XLR
    There's no reason you can't use airbags but if you do make sure it's done right. You have a heavy vehicle that's street driven and you need it to be safe and reliable. And of course reasonable ride and handling are a plus. Take it to a shop that knows what to do. Done right it can look trick and ride pretty good too.

how is suspension travel with the bags aired up ar ride height?
    increase air pressure to increase firmness but doesn't that also increase heihgt?

I've used bags on semis forever but they always had a leveling valve too keep ride height no matter ho much weight.

I know hydros have like nil for suspension because of the hydraulic rams have pressure in there to keep ride height

Badass94Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Dead Sled,
    Bags and hydros - kind of a personal preference thing. With hydros, you can actually build yourself a decent suspension that rides smooth using accumulators. Your hopping abilities will be hampered as the fluid moves a bit slower, but your ride will be a lot less jarring. In fact, there is a guy in BADASSofNE who just hooked his juicde '95 Fleetwood up with shocks at all 4 corners.

That said, bags are a lot cleaner (no fluid leaks) and a lot less work to run. You don't need all the frame reinforcement, you don't need to run 8 batteries (or even more for a heavy car like yours) in your trunk. The ride is pretty smooth, and you can run them with or without shocks. I'm bagging my ride soon, but like I said that's personal preference...not to say I don't want a juiced car some day too!!!

LMK if you would like more info on either and I can direct you to some links.

Cheers,
    Jeff

sweet thanks. I think air bags are the way to go. I just want do drive it and have a nice tight ride then slam it when im parked

CincyR/T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I prefer the hydro route...but I'm kinda old school. I will say though that if I modify the suspension on my 1991 Brougham it will probably be airbagged. Alot cleaner...less maintence but the cost is significantly more.

Hey Chris, glad to see you made it over! Like I said, I love 'em both. I think the type of suspension often is often just fitting to the car's style - like an older FW like yours is all about hydros - it's just the old school thang! I've seen the late model FWs like mine on both and somehow it works either way, but I'm set on going bags. TWIG, who posted in your guestbook, is a member of BADASSofNE and Twisted Stylez, and has his '95 juiced. NICE RIDE!!!

I can just picture a nasty hearse bagged on some 18's-20's. That would be a sick ride...and something I've always wanted to do.

BTW (sorry to ramble...), but are you heading to the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA? I'll be there...!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    *Looking forward to meeting more Caddy freaks in person!

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by Badass94Cad
    BTW (sorry to ramble...), but are you heading to the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA? I'll be there...!
    When is that?

Friday, June 13 - Sunday, June 15 in Carlisle, PA. I think the site is www.carsatcarlisle.com. :-)

Cheers,
    Jeff

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Why does everyone say old cars need Hydros? Are you looking to vibrate the ever living shit out of 35+ year old car?! I've baged 2 of theses monsters. an 85 FW and my 95 FW. It's pretty straight foward install. Fabrication is pretty minimal if it's a basic setup. It's a lot more cost effective, a lot more comfortable, performs a lot better and a lot more RELIABLE. As long as the bag or lines don't rub anything the system will last quite a while. I've seen cars with over 140k miles on the bags that still work perfectly. I havn't seen a Hyro setup that hasn't leaked poped a line or blown out a cylinder last more then a year. Then there's the headache of charging the batteries, the initial cost, and the maintnece. If you're looking to put the car in compotetion then go dros. If it's a daily, bags. But like Badass said, it's personal preference. My 95 lays frame and has a total of 8 inches of travel, which corisponds to about 5 1/2- 6 inches of usable ride hight fully inflated. I wanted it low. BTW, it's stupid stiff completly full. I keep the bags around 120-140 psi depending on how much wieght is in the car and what kind of driving I'm doing. Either way the car rides about 3 inches off the ground with that much air. That's where I like it. I roll low untill the road gets bad and it's lay'n sparks every 5 feet. My 85 would raise back to stock hieght with that much air and had 12 inches of travle in the rear. The bumper was up to my thigh. I'm 6'1",not exactly a short guy. Different size bags, different style bags, different size mounting cups. They all regulate the amount of lift and drop.

good info thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.